Bertram Vogel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

First, I never played the original Arcadia Quest. I just learned about it because of the Inferno Kickstarter. I read a lot of reviews, watched a few videos and it looks like AQ (base game) is a really cool, fun and not-so-overly-complicated game. A lot of the games in our group have the problem that people take ages to take their turns. And with AQ, it seems you have some tactical options, but you are never overwhelmed with options.

I could get the base game at retail now for around 75€ ($80). But since Inferno is a stand-alone with almost the same rules as the original and I get all these nifty Kickstarter stuff, I will probably back AQ:I.

However, at the moment I am wondering about two things:
1. With the damnation, angels, pets etc. I'm a bit afraid that Inferno could be actually "worse" than the base game (in the sense of: not so streamlined, needs more time to play etc.). Probably, nobody can really help me with this question, because you cannot play Inferno at the moment. But maybe people that already played AQ can give some hints?

2. If I get Inferno now, I will not take the base game as an Add-On. It would be just too expensive at the moment. But if I really like this game and want to get the base game later (because of additional heroes, monsters, campaigns), I will probably get a german version (I live in germany and the german version is much cheaper here). Can you easily mix a german base game and the Inferno expansion to play for example the mixed Fall Of Arcadia Campaign?

Thanks for any answers!

Best,
Bert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Battarra
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mb
Bert,

I cant' answer impartially the first question because me and my group really love AQ and we expect/hope Inferno to be as much fun as the original.

Regarding different language edition: I got the AQ core in Italian and Beyond the Grave in English. I found out that they are very compatible and the rules are so much streamlined that the language difference is not a problem.
I'm backing now Inferno and I expect to be able to mix the core Italian material with it easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Silvestri
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm gonna try my best to answer, but like you said, no chance to have played Inferno yet obviously, so we'll tackle the easy question first. If your group speaks and reads German, I can't think of any issues with mixing Inferno with a German base game =)

As for the play time, pets and damnation will definitely add some time to the sessions, but I can't imagine they'll add /that/ much. Most sessions my group has played have lasted between 30~90 minutes (with one or two outliers), and the pets and whatnot I don't think will add more than 10~20 minutes on to each session as a worst case scenario. On top of that, I feel like the value they bring in terms of strategy and novelty would be worth the extra time.

Hope it helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KedynX wrote:
Hello!
However, at the moment I am wondering about two things:
1. With the damnation, angels, pets etc. I'm a bit afraid that Inferno could be actually "worse" than the base game (in the sense of: not so streamlined, needs more time to play etc.). Probably, nobody can really help me with this question, because you cannot play Inferno at the moment. But maybe people that already played AC can give some hints?

I would think that the pets would be the only thing that adds length since each turn might take just a little longer. I don't think that it should be significant, though.

Quote:
2. If I get Inferno now, I will not take the base game as an Add-On. It would be just too expensive at the moment. But if I really like this game and want to get the base game later (because of additional heroes, monsters, campaigns), I will probably get a german version (I live in germany and the german version is much cheaper here). Can you easily mix a german base game and the Inferno expansion to play for example the mixed Fall Of Arcadia Campaign?

You should be able to mix them easily since all of them cards and items are identified uniquely. I seem to remember hearing that the phrasing can be different on items from one language to another, but I don't know for sure about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
pets are an optional addon and self contained in the rules\addon . You can add them to AQ , inferno and the fall ouf arcadia . Or you can do the reverse and leave them out of the game alltogeher.

Edit of course that wont work for the Garden campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Tipp City
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
pets are an optional addon and self contained in the rules\addon . You can add them to AQ , inferno and the fall ouf arcadia . Or you can do the reverse and leave them out of the game alltogeher.

Edit of course that wont work for the Garden campaign.

If money and complexity are a concern. Do not get the pets add-on. They seem completely unnecessary to me but the wife wants them so I'll be getting them.

I don't see the angels adding complexity to the game, it seems rather straight forward, you help save them or they become fallen angels and come back later as bad guys.

Damnation/Corruption seems to be about the only new rule. Again it should be fairly straight forward, give yourself an advantage now and pay for it later with a disadvantage.

I have the first one and kick myself for not backing it. Don't make the same mistake, back this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AQ is vanilla.

Beyond the grave adds some quirky alternative rules, like graves, and ghosts and 'shoving'

Inferno adds damnation, NPC rescue, alternate decision pathing.

Pets add pets.

I would probably never recommend someone leap directly into pets in every game. But it is a fun change up once people have mastered a particular scenario or set of rules.

Optional is optional and I plan to play each as a self contained game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im personaly, ( i know im probably in the minority ) but i'm 100% not interested in pets, ( i have never played AQ ) and... like many says, i looks like it add a layer im not .. really interested in
if I really end up loving AQinferno, i will decide what to buy next ( pets / beyond the grave / original game )

but... for me.. im just going for the base game right now nothing more, nothing less

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Vogler
Austria
flag msg tools
I'm also an german-speaking AQ-Player AND i do NOT spend my whole Money on each add-on for now. The only things i want are the "Dragon-add-on" AND the metal-coins (Special Price)! ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertram Vogel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your input!

I decided to back this game! Lets just hope it will be as good as the first one

And since it seems to be easily possible to mix different languages, I will not take the original base game or any expansions as Add-On.

However, I will get the Hellfire Token Pack and a Classic Dice Pack, because it is not easy to get these later / in germany.

And I also decided to get the Classic Guild Tokens. It is a bit stupid, because I do not even own the base game yet, but I know myself. If I get the base game later in retail, I will be annoyed if I do not have them (but had to chance to get them).

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael leers
Germany
dortmund
flag msg tools
mbmb
hi, im german too tuuu 2 ^^
and can say the german rules are on the asmodee homepage as download.
you schould read it and then read the inferno rules for changes.
mixing is if you are god in englisch now problem. even a german inferno version comes.
the only think is the charakter cards for the exclusive heroes.
all other card, will if a german version comes in german.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jericho Lorz
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry guys, but I will answer this quickly in german...

Hey, ich habe mir AQ auf deutsch gekauft, obwohl ich bei der Kickstarter Kampagne fürs Basisspiel überlegt hatte mitzumachen. Aber ich wusste, dass gerade so ein schnelles unkompliziertes Spiel auf deutsch eine gute (niedrige) Einstiegshürde hat. Auf englisch sieht es gleich wieder anders aus. Nachdem das Spiel wirklich dermaßen gut ankam und wir die Kampagne zwei mal durch hatten, war ich zu ungeduldig mit der deutschen Übersetzung von 'Jenseits der Gruft' und habe mir zum Schweinepreis die Erweiterung aus Amerika importiert. Da alle mit den Regeln jetzt gut vertraut waren, ging es selbst für die nicht Sicheren in Englisch leicht von der Hand und die 'denglische' Version hat allen Spaß gemacht. Trotzdem würde ich mit neuen Spielern immer mit der Grundbox starten. Daher bin ich froh, dass ich das Basisspiel auf deutsch habe und etwas traurig, das die Erweiterung nicht auch deutsch ist. Aber Inferno werde ich auf jeden fall jetzt kickstarten, auch die Erweiterungen, da wir mit meiner Hauptgruppe jetzt auf neue Kampagnen warten und es einfach viel zu viel stretch goals gibt, die man verpasst. Lange Rede kurzer Sinn:

Ich würde mir immer das Basispiel auf deutsch holen und wenn es gut ankommt alles was bis dahin erhältlich ist auch auf deutsch. Trotzdem würde ich jetzt beim Kickstarter mitmachen, weil man sicher in einem Halben Jahr auch mit einer denglischen Version gut zurecht kommt, gerade, wenn das Grundspiel bereits gemeistert wurde.

Als Tipp: In England gibt es Händler, die relativ günstig (da EU) die Heldenpacks und extra Würfel versenden (die man wirklich braucht). Die neuen Heldendoppelpacks Tiaret & Mittens, Haldor & Brenna und die Solopacks Farfalla und Aeric sind sogar schon Multilingual, also es liegen in 5 Sprachen (auch deutsch) die Charakterkarten mit bei!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertram Vogel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jericho Lorz wrote:
Sorry guys, but I will answer this quickly in german...

Hey, ich habe mir AQ auf deutsch gekauft, obwohl ich bei der Kickstarter Kampagne fürs Basisspiel überlegt hatte mitzumachen. Aber ich wusste, dass gerade so ein schnelles unkompliziertes Spiel auf deutsch eine gute (niedrige) Einstiegshürde hat. Auf englisch sieht es gleich wieder anders aus. Nachdem das Spiel wirklich dermaßen gut ankam und wir die Kampagne zwei mal durch hatten, war ich zu ungeduldig mit der deutschen Übersetzung von 'Jenseits der Gruft' und habe mir zum Schweinepreis die Erweiterung aus Amerika importiert. Da alle mit den Regeln jetzt gut vertraut waren, ging es selbst für die nicht Sicheren in Englisch leicht von der Hand und die 'denglische' Version hat allen Spaß gemacht. Trotzdem würde ich mit neuen Spielern immer mit der Grundbox starten. Daher bin ich froh, dass ich das Basisspiel auf deutsch habe und etwas traurig, das die Erweiterung nicht auch deutsch ist. Aber Inferno werde ich auf jeden fall jetzt kickstarten, auch die Erweiterungen, da wir mit meiner Hauptgruppe jetzt auf neue Kampagnen warten und es einfach viel zu viel stretch goals gibt, die man verpasst. Lange Rede kurzer Sinn:

Ich würde mir immer das Basispiel auf deutsch holen und wenn es gut ankommt alles was bis dahin erhältlich ist auch auf deutsch. Trotzdem würde ich jetzt beim Kickstarter mitmachen, weil man sicher in einem Halben Jahr auch mit einer denglischen Version gut zurecht kommt, gerade, wenn das Grundspiel bereits gemeistert wurde.

Als Tipp: In England gibt es Händler, die relativ günstig (da EU) die Heldenpacks und extra Würfel versenden (die man wirklich braucht). Die neuen Heldendoppelpacks Tiaret & Mittens, Haldor & Brenna und die Solopacks Farfalla und Aeric sind sogar schon Multilingual, also es liegen in 5 Sprachen (auch deutsch) die Charakterkarten mit bei!

Glücklicherweise sollte die englische Sprache in meiner Gruppe keine große Hürde darstellen. Ich hatte mich vor allem gefragt, ob z.B. die Kartenrückseiten in den Sprachversionen unterschiedlich aussehen und dies das Spiel beeinflussen könnte. Aber sowas scheint es ja nicht zu geben.

Inferno kickstarte ich auf jeden Fall, aber die Erweiterungen werde ich vermutlich trotzdem noch weglassen. Bis Inferno hier bei mir ankommt, sind auch die beiden neuen Erweiterungen übersetzt und in Deutschland erhältlich. Dann zwar etwas teurer und ich verpasse die KS-Exklusiven Miniaturen der Erweiterungen, aber ich weiß eben noch nicht wie gut AQ in meiner Gruppe ankommt. Wahrscheinlich finden wir es gut, aber vielleicht auch nicht. Und ich glaube ich schaffe es einfach nich $75 zusätzlich für ein Spiel auszugeben, dass ich noch nie gespielt habe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.