Subject: A long series of games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrew fawcett
England
YEOVIL
Somerset
flag msg tools
My girl friend and I first played about twenty games, adding the scores up in our heads and always struggling a bit to remember the subtotals, so I decided to record future scores on a spreadsheet which did this automatically. We then played over 120 games and so generated quite a lot of statistics.

Some interesting points emerged from all this:-

We both won about the same number of games, and there was one tie.
However there were wild swings in the scores.

Highest score

Highest column

Highest score whilst losing

Lowest score whilst winning

My average points

My girl friend's average points

Only once did a person scoring a bonus of 20 points for an eight-card suit fail to win.

The favourite number of suits (or expeditions) to develop was three. Sometimes four worked well, especially when it was easier to put down 3 or 4 cards as a “spoiler”, scoring, say, a gross 16-22 points (net minus 4 to plus 2), rather than risk the opponent picking up these cards.

We felt that after a while, we both had quite a strong handle on strategy for the game, and that the result depended more upon luck rather than skill. Probably this luck was more associated with cards drawn during the course of the game than the initial hand dealt, although the first 4 or 5 plays, before it was clear which expeditions to develop, were often critical.

We still enjoy playing a couple of hands at odd moments during the day, but are now taking to "Ingenious" for those occasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better average for the wife... Well played m8, no sleeping in the couch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewravesax wrote:
My girl friend and I first played about twenty games, adding the scores up in our heads and always struggling a bit to remember the subtotals, so I decided to record future scores on a spreadsheet which did this automatically. We then played over 120 games and so generated quite a lot of statistics.

Some interesting points emerged from all this:-

We both won about the same number of games, and there was one tie.
However there were wild swings in the scores.

Highest score

Highest column

Highest score whilst losing

Lowest score whilst winning

My average points

My girl friend's average points

Only once did a person scoring a bonus of 20 points for an eight-card suit fail to win.

The favourite number of suits (or expeditions) to develop was three. Sometimes four worked well, especially when it was easier to put down 3 or 4 cards as a “spoiler”, scoring, say, a gross 16-22 points (net minus 4 to plus 2), rather than risk the opponent picking up these cards.

We felt that after a while, we both had quite a strong handle on strategy for the game, and that the result depended more upon luck rather than skill. Probably this luck was more associated with cards drawn during the course of the game than the initial hand dealt, although the first 4 or 5 plays, before it was clear which expeditions to develop, were often critical.

We still enjoy playing a couple of hands at odd moments during the day, but are now taking to "Ingenious" for those occasions.

Yeah, it's good to mix up the rotation of these simple 2-player games. May want to try out Jaipur and Piñata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew fawcett
England
YEOVIL
Somerset
flag msg tools
We have played loads of Jaipur. Again we are about equal, but this is IMHO much more dependent upon skill. Will look at Piñata

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew fawcett
England
YEOVIL
Somerset
flag msg tools
originally, her average was about 5 higher than me. I have clawed back a bit…….

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.