Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Spirits of the Rice Paddy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Errata and FAQ from the Ape website rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Only just came across this

Errata
Rulebook page 2 - The wall sticks are green, not gray.
Rulebook page 8 - Rebecca's highest card showing is 10, not 27.
Rice Tokens -Two of the 50-value rice tokens have 20 printed on the reverse side. Both sides should be 50.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are face-up Spirit card resolved every round, or just the round they're shown?
Every round. So a Spirit card revealed on Round 1 will be resolved all six rounds. No Spirit cards are resolved on Round 7. Of course, some Spirit cards are resolved at other parts of the round, or have a constant effect.

Is a 5-hex paddy the largest that I can build?
Yes, five hexes is the max. You'll find that even a 5-hex paddy can be hard to manage.

What is the maximum number of gates that a paddy can have?
Two - one incoming and one outgoing.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brusky
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, you can find the FAQ on the APE Games site.

http://apegames.com/spirits/SpiritsFAQ.html.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratum card 40 - ... double the black numbers instead of the green numbers."

Must be "... gray numbers."

Also on some cards "Add ... to a planted or grown paddy" would be better
"Add ... to 1 planted ...", as is said sometimes.

Card 25 - "Take ... randomly" should be added, as was mentioned in one post (so not "choose"). Do "unused" tiles include the discarded ones?

Farm actions on player boards - "Remove rocks" listed under "Water/no water" is a but misleading, being picky, because no water can be with rocks. Could/should be in the "dry" section.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that correct for card 40 I took it that it doubles the Black numbers rather than the grey ones, doubling the normal yield you get in turns 1-6 rather than the bonus amount from turn 7.

It is very powerful either way but just slightly less so if it does use the black.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sorry about my half-quote, that can be or obviously is misleading.

So here is the full quote, corrected:
Erratum card 40 - ... double the black numbers instead of the gray numbers."

Of course the black nzmbers are doubled, but instead of the gray ones, not of the green ones, because there are no green numbers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the magic water cards has an hourglass symbol and the other has a sun symbol. Surely these should be the same?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kc2dpt wrote:
One of the magic water cards has an hourglass symbol and the other has a sun symbol. Surely these should be the same?


True. 6 and 30 have a sun, while 13 has the hourglass. They all say "Do not repeat this Spirit Card."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara K

California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lucyfer wrote:
Farm actions on player boards - "Remove rocks" listed under "Water/no water" is a but misleading, being picky, because no water can be with rocks. Could/should be in the "dry" section.


I disagree, adding the remove rocks action to the "dry" section could be detrimental. Imagine i just finished a new paddy by adding some walls at the beginning phase, but there is a rock present, which I'm planning on removing. As the game currently plays, i remove the rock, then when i drain water from higher up paddies, i can catch it in my new paddy. However, if rock removal happens during the dry action section as you suggest, i would be forced to have that water drain out to the next player, THEN remove the rock.

If you want to be picky, you could just call the first action stage the "prep" stage since that's essentially what it is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
emeeekay wrote:
lucyfer wrote:
Farm actions on player boards - "Remove rocks" listed under "Water/no water" is a but misleading, being picky, because no water can be with rocks. Could/should be in the "dry" section.


I disagree, adding the remove rocks action to the "dry" section could be detrimental. Imagine i just finished a new paddy by adding some walls at the beginning phase, but there is a rock present, which I'm planning on removing. As the game currently plays, i remove the rock, then when i drain water from higher up paddies, i can catch it in my new paddy. However, if rock removal happens during the dry action section as you suggest, i would be forced to have that water drain out to the next player, THEN remove the rock.

If you want to be picky, you could just call the first action stage the "prep" stage since that's essentially what it is.
Indeed, sometimes you just have to suspend disbelief when playing a board game, otherwise the game either doesn't work or becomes a simulation that lacks a certain something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
emeeekay wrote:
lucyfer wrote:
Farm actions on player boards - "Remove rocks" listed under "Water/no water" is a but misleading, being picky, because no water can be with rocks. Could/should be in the "dry" section.


I disagree, adding the remove rocks action to the "dry" section could be detrimental. Imagine i just finished a new paddy by adding some walls at the beginning phase, but there is a rock present, which I'm planning on removing. As the game currently plays, i remove the rock, then when i drain water from higher up paddies, i can catch it in my new paddy. However, if rock removal happens during the dry action section as you suggest, i would be forced to have that water drain out to the next player, THEN remove the rock.

If you want to be picky, you could just call the first action stage the "prep" stage since that's essentially what it is.


Good point, agree with you, hadn't considered this before, sorry. This game is tricky and full of spirits !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgina Dear
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
apegamer wrote:
Thanks, you can find the FAQ on the APE Games site.

http://apegames.com/spirits/SpiritsFAQ.html.


Has this FAQ been moved someplace else? The link is broken, and I can't find a reference to it on the Spirits page.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems they are redesigning their web site - and/or maybe have printed new rules, don't know. Please ask Kevin (APE Games) about it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amber Mahoney
United Kingdom
Berkhamsted
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayback Machine has an archived copy:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160325030104/http://www.apegames.com/spirits/SpiritsFAQ.html
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
C/P from above archive link (with some formatting)

Mistakes were made and blame was placed. Heads rolled and it won't happen again, but here's what we know...

Errata
Rulebook page 2
The wall sticks are green, not gray.

Rulebook page 8
Rebecca's highest card showing is 10, not 27.

Rice Tokens
Two of the 50-value rice tokens have 20 printed on the reverse side. Both sides should be 50. The 50 token is normally used only in endgame scoring, so doesn't have much impact on gameplay. Here is the art for the 50 rice token if you want to print it and adhere it to the 20 side.
50 Rice Token Art

Frequently Asked Questions
Are face-up Spirit card resolved every round, or just the round they're shown?
Every round. So a Spirit card revealed on Round 1 will be resolved all six rounds. No Spirit cards are resolved on Round 7. Of course, some Spirit cards are resolved at other parts of the round, or have a constant effect.

Is a 5-hex paddy the largest that I can build?
Yes, five hexes is the max. You'll find that even a 5-hex paddy can be hard to manage.

What is the maximum number of gates that a paddy can have?
Two - one incoming and one outgoing.

Can ducks fertilize a paddy that did not contain weeds or pests?
Yes.

Are weeds and pests counter-limited?
No. When you run out, then lay some on their sides to indicate they count as 3 or 5 of that type.

Can water go through a paddy containing rocks?
No.

What is the purpose of Magic Water?
See the pop-out box in the rulebook on page 12.

When should walls acquired through Setup cards be placed?
During the first Build Walls Farm Action phase. These walls can be built for 'free'. They don't require laborers or livestock.

Component Issues

Some of the components in the Spirits of the Rice Paddy games have some quality issues. Please read below for instructions how to work around those issues, or request replacements.

Missing Components
Problem: Games are missing components, mostly wooden tokens.
Replacement Policy: We will of course replace any missing pieces. Email us at info@apegames.com and tell us which component you're missing. Missing components will start shipping in early January.

Leftover Paper or Discoloration on Player Boards
Problem: This is the most worrisome problem that have encountered because of how bad it can make this major game component look, and how widespread it appears the problem may be. The printer sent boxes of extra components, but those boxes contained a whopping total of four (4) replacement boards! We will therefore need to open new games for all boards we replace.
The printer will reduce the cost of our next print run by the cost of games we open, so it won't be a total loss for us, but they won't cover the shipping cost. Plus, every opened game means that much less revenue.
The issue is manifested a number of different ways, as demonstrated in the pictures below.

This is an example of minor board 'fuzz'. We've been sent pictures of boards with far more fuzz than this.

Replacement Policy: APE Games will replace these boards for you, but we ask that you first try the remedies in the Workaround sections below. If you're not happy with your workaround job, or your problem can't be worked around, then let us know. Email us at info@apegames.com and tell us how many boards need to be replaced. We may ask for photos showing the damage to give to the printer.

Workaround 1: To work around the leftover cardboard problem (top image above) you can use an Exacto or other sharp knife to carefully cut away the extra cardboard. We tried that with the board from above, with the following result:

Workaround 2: The white 'scuffs' on the boards can be corrected using a dark marker.

Warped Player Boards
Problem: The player boards in some games curve up on the edges.
Replacement Policy: This problem is easily corrected - there is no need for replacements.
Workaround: Lay the board face-down and placing a heavy object on it overnight.

Spirit Card Discoloration
Problem:The three replacement Spirit cards (3, 4 and 22) are noticeably discolored. All of the printed games have this problem.
Replacement Policy: The printer indicated they could try to reprint them, but that they could not guarantee a good match. However, we'll attempt to reprint these three cards when we print our next game (mid-2016) so that they will be available for those that want replacements.
Workaround 1: Keep the original Spirit cards that came in the game, not the replacements, and just remember that the text means planted and grown - not just planted.
Workaround 2: Sleeve the Spirit cards. They're standard 2.5"x3.5" cards.
50/20 Rice Tokens

Problem: Two of the 50-value rice tokens have '20' printed on the reverse side.
Replacement Policy: These rice tokens are used in end-game scoring, and so not necessary for game play. In fact, the game was not designed to include the 50 tokens, and in fact, we have never played with them. We added them as a convenience during production.
That said, for those not happy with the workarounds described below, we will replace the misprinted rice tokens, while supplies last.
Workaround 1: Print the 50 rice art that we provided above and stick it over the 20 side of the token.
Workaround 2: Simply don't use the 50 rice tokens. We never had them during the design and development cycles. They were added as a convenience during production.



E-mail: info@apegames.com
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.