Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got an email that 1A games had to give back all ToI-stuff to FFG. What does this mean now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
StefanSasse wrote:
Just got an email that 1A games had to give back all ToI-stuff to FFG. What does this mean now?

1A is out.
FFG has it all on clearance.

ToI, unless picked up down the road, is dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awwwwww, what a bummer But why? Is anything known?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nothing for sure. delays and missed key times for releases were probably to blame.
too ad as 1A really seemed to want this game system to grow.

not sure it is dead though, FFG needed some thing/product for their annual holiday sale. If it sells well, they might consider releasing something down the road. Smaller expansions/add ons with no minis just printed material.

Pacific is the only theatre not covered by TOI.

BTW, isn't FFG owned by a larger company now? If so, maybe the people who axed this system won't have a say in its future. :-)

Time will tell.
I'm glad for 1A's effort, having a new rule book(s) and the Stalingrad expansion is better than nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the Official Word (for us here at 1A).

It has been jointly decided by both 1A and FFG that the time has come for the two companies to part ways. As a result, FFG has taken back all of the inventory and all the control of the ToI property effective immediately.

FFG has given us no direct information about what their plans for the future of the line may be. Any questions concerning Tide of Iron which do not regard our (1A's) kickstarter - rules interpretations, future expansions, replacement parts, etc... - should be directed at FFG. 1A Games is no longer able to sell, produce, develop, or market anything to do with the Tide of Iron game. The files currently available for download on our website (which will remain there for the foreseeable future) are our final offerings to the line.

We here at 1A have been proud to have been granted the opportunity to work with the Tide of Iron game. We did our best to revive the line and make it more accessible to new players to expand the brand. But the game market is a very competitive one these days, and we had some issues - editorial delays on our end, delays to printing in China, and in shipping due to a labor dispute at the port of Los Angeles (since resolved) - which led to our not having base game on hand to support Stalingrad when it was first released, and to our missing the Christmas season last year.

Over our time with Tide of Iron, we have been pleased by the response which we got from you - the fans - in regards to the direction we were moving with the game. Hindsight is 20/20 and looking back there are things which we should have done differently. What's past is past and we can do nothing to change it.

As for the future of 1A Games; that remains unclear. The shop has entered into a sort of state of suspended animation as we sort out various details (like our Kickstarter projects) and try and see the path ahead.

In any event, I and all the staff of 1A Games would like to thank each of you for having supported us.

Like good soldiers, we did our duty as we saw it.

History will judge us now.

Good Night and Good Luck!

Dismissed.

Chris Williams, Operations Manager 1A Games

We anticipate that FFG will be making their own announcement in regards to al of this, but do not have an ETA on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the information Chris. I am disappointed that 1A Games is no longer the caretaker of the ToI series. You guys did put out some good product and I appreciate your effort. I only hope FFG does not drop ToI completely, but I am not optimistic...

Thanks again Chris!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the update, Chris. I'm sorry ToI didn't work out for the company, but I hope there is a future for you in board game publication.

Is there any chance you could tell us what state the reprint of Days of the Fox was left in? Were at least the final proofs made?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Fitzgerald
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
designer
I'll be in my bunk... at moesgametable.com
badge
Time for some thrilling heroics
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update Chris. I'll echo everyone else' sentiments with thanking 1A for what it did for Tide of Iron with the Next Wave, it really is a fantastic product.

We definitely wish things could have been different, was really looking forward to a reissue of DotF and potentially a Pacific version of TOI down the line.

Here's hoping FFG does listen to the fans and continues to support TOI but just like Dan, I'm not optimistic. They're going to likely put all of their efforts into their Star Wars line with the added hype of the new movies coming out but here's hoping they realize there's still potential for the TOI line with its many dedicated fans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be cool to see the ToI system converted to a Star Wars ground battles game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Merritt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking the same thing! After playing TOI and both Star Wars Armada and X-Wing I am looking for the next level of zoomed-out war game for this genre. X-Wing has Imperial Assault but there needs to be a counter-part for Armada. It makes sense, FFG created TOI and has the ability to create units that work in this system (hopefully they will learn how to make the units fit in the stands better like !A did). I just got into the Star Wars games this year but noticed FFG tried to make star tiles similar to TOI but gave that up. It would work great (land based) for a Star Wars combat game. I know there have been miniatures for just a game like this but using the TOI system makes it easier and way cheaper to create armies. There is Rebellion but that combines space and ground and doesn't look as promising as a TOI-type variant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Star Wars has fast and furious fighting, but it is fantasy violence. It's surprisingly hard to get killed, even when standing out in the open. Even then, only droids and anonymous people in masks die.

ToI is deadly, more historically realistic violence. Applying the Star Wars IP on top of ToI would probably cause nightmares for fanboys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
Star Wars has fast and furious fighting, but it is fantasy violence. It's surprisingly hard to get killed, even when standing out in the open. Even then, only droids and anonymous people in masks die.

ToI is deadly, more historically realistic violence. Applying the Star Wars IP on top of ToI would probably cause nightmares for fanboys.

Not if they leave out the "title" characters (which I would prefer anyway) and have stormtroopers of varying levels vs. rebel alliance soldiers (as we saw on Hoth)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a great shame. The Stalingrad expansion that 1A created was a really fun and solid addition to the ToI family -- my only reservation was that it badly needed a FAQ, which it now has. It was Stalingrad that made me give ToI a second look and find the great game I'd missed the first time around.

I'm sorry to see 1A and ToI part ways. Thanks for your effort with the Stalingrad expansion in particular, and for supporting ToI in its second life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.