Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honest to god this is my last query.

When a location has been completely explored I travel to a new location and spawn enemies?

I'm presuming this happens at the start of the location phase? Or more specifically according to the rules "DURING".

If so.... After entering a new location and spawning enemies, if the new location has a "at the end of the location phase do X" does that trigger on the new location straight away.... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide C
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Location effects/Travelling
During the location phase of the turn (phase 3) you:
1. Resolve the current location effects.
2. Decide if you want to travel.

Therefore, if the location is fully explored, you still resolve its effect. Than you may decide to travel. If so, you draw a new location card, but its effect is not resolved until the following turn during the next location phase.
Again, as far as I understood from the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
right its just that in the rules it says DURING that phase you may travel. Some of the effects of a location ive seen so far happen at the END of the location phase.
I cant see anywhere it specifically states the order of when resolving travelling. All it says is DURING.

So my previous questions stands.

Obviously if the current explored location at a start of the location phase event then that would trigger. Then I would travel.....which is still during the location phase......but then what if the new location spawned has a "at the end of the location phase event" (technically we are still in that phase while resolving travelling)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide C
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually by reading the reference book, at page 11, it says that the location effect are resolved when indicated on the card, so not always at the beginning as I believed. I would say then that if the card says that the location effect takes place at the end of the location phase, then it is after travelling, if at the beginning, than it is before travelling. I would then say that if the new location has an "at the end" event it would be resolved immediately, as there is nothing else indicating the opposite, but I am not entirely sure about this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol the only location effects I've seen so far (whilst playing) have all had "end of location phase effects"

I think we are right though.
One scenario could play out like this:

We've explored enough so when the location phase happens we could travel.

The location has a beginning of phase effect.
We travel to a new location.
The new location has an end of phase effect.

Harsh if they are both bad effects lol but those are the misfortunes that will happen whilst braving the Depths of the old world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I'm still not sure how to handle this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
When a location card effect trigger by travelling it will specifically say so (see card "sleeping warren", when the party travel to this location), so unless it does, the effect doesnt trigger when you enter a new location.

EDIT: I seem to be wrong on this one. When travelling to a new location, end of location effect from the new location will trigger. The difference with cards that says"when the party travel to a new location" would be that those effects only happens once, while the end of location will trigger every turn.

I'm also pretty sure that cards that says "at the end of the location phase" don't trigger the turn you leave them. EDIT: I still think this is correct, but I might be wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pity this thread is still a bit muddled. This should be a basic thing (from my review of both books, they are a bit confused on the ordering in the location phase).

I'm inclined to believe it is:

Location Phase
- start effects
- optional travel
- end effects

taking this literally, you trigged the end-loc-phase effect on every new location you travel to. I played this way so far.

I'd be very happy to hear it is avoided actually, using this justification:
You read all effects for location cards at the location phase START
Travelling discards a card so you can't trigger its effects anymroe
New cards, well, you didn't read the effects on it at the START so we're done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Id really appreciate an official answer from the designers on this one as well, as it would affect the difficulty and gameplay decisions quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm still not sure why this is still a question, as it seems pretty clear that ishtar's interpretation is correct. Can it be harsh if the original location has a start of phase effect while the new one has an end of phase effect? Maybe, but it's a cooperative game and I'd expect it to be hard on occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Karl
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmb
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/224352-locati...

Quote:
That is the official answer from the game developer Dane Beltrami

If you travel FROM a location that has an ‘at the end of the location phase’ effect, it is discarded before it can be resolved. However, if you travel TO a location that has an ‘at the end of the location phase’ effect, it is resolved at the end of the location phase, even if you just traveled there. Hope this clears things up.

Thanks a lot Dane for the quick answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.