BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Questions about miniatures design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Eriksson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi,

I'm in the process of designing a Chrono Trigger minitaures game, and I'd appreciate any tips about making/buying the actual miniatures. Any store/person that creates custom miniatures? Any guides to what I'd need to design my own? I don't have any experience in arts or crafts though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Morton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly suggest Blender as a 3d modeling software and then you could possible send the files over to Shapeways to print them. I have never printed with them so I am unsure of what they require.
I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Poon
msg tools
mbmb
Blender is a great program but has a very steep learning curve in my opinion. Shapeways is definitely a great way to get a small run of miniatures made. That way you can just focus on the modeling part and not also consider how to physically make it so that makes up the arts and crafts inexperience.

Are you looking to make a personal Chrono Trigger miniature game or mass produce? If you are looking to mass produce, that may complicate the design process a bit. Shapeways uses 3D printers which are quite flexible in design restrictions on your part but if you are looking to mass produce, injection molding will likely be cheaper than 3D printing but comes with more design restraints on your character model. Certain features will be possible with 3D printing but may not be possible with injection molding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Eriksson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses, I will try Blender out and see if I can make it work. I'm designing the game for personal use, I figure there will be copyright/licensing problems as well if I plan to mass produce it. Of course, if it turns out to be amazing I might try to get it released later.

Further tips and suggestions are always welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Munoz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also been trying to figure on how to get started on using Blender as a platform on which to design miniatures. I have not been able to find much on the net around tips and tricks on standards or best practices to use when designing a miniature, like scale to use, preferences in rotation, etc. I like Blender a lot, and have started to learn how to model there, although I'll be honest and say that it is not an intuitive way of doing it, at least for me. I think I would prefer something more like a sculpting software like Mudbox and ZBrush, which more a lot more like what you would do if you were creating a mini with clay.

Good luck on your endeavors!! I'll share what I find!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Eriksson
Sweden
flag msg tools
This is hard, I'm not sure I'll be able to make decent-looking models. Suppose I wanted to hire someone experienced to do it, what might be a good price per model? Depends on quality of course, but ballpark? And thanks again for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought about just doing 2D card stock standees? It'd be easier to get full-color images, would work just as well as 3D miniatures, and be a lot, lot, lot cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Eriksson
Sweden
flag msg tools
jukujin wrote:
Have you thought about just doing 2D card stock standees? It'd be easier to get full-color images, would work just as well as 3D miniatures, and be a lot, lot, lot cheaper.

That's not a bad idea, I actually didn't think of that! I would prefer miniatures, but now that I think about it, standees would be so much easier. And I could use the official artwork Thanks for the suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Poon
msg tools
mbmb
what fortuitous timing! This just popped up on reddit.
https://np.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/3u9k65/guy_makes_a_3...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Tew
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Here is an example of someones work in Autodesk Mudbox, you can download the software for free with a student account. Not sure how you will get on without any arts and crafts skills, but it might be worth a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBlfyrkmFuM&list=PL5oW7LhfU8...

I'm about to download it now and have a play myself. Once you sign up for a student/teacher account you can download from,

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/all

As a teacher I don't know how hard it would be to get an account without being a teacher or student, but I've been told that it's quite simple.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.