BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: HOUDINI!! New Game- Playtesters Wanted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I am looking foir playtesters for a new card-based game, HOUDINI, a brief, general description of which follows:

"Houdini! celebrates what many deem the Golden Age of Magic, the first few decades of the 20th century. The game is named for the most famous - but not necessarily the “greatest” - “magician” of all time, Houdini (née Ehrich Weiss). In the game, each player is a historically famous magician rated for his skill, strength and luck, all used when trying to make a name and fortune for himself. "

"Players win the game by amassing the most Victory Points. Players gain Victory Points for
Fame and Wealth, and they gain those by playing Cards that enable them to perform Escapes and Illusions, announce/answer Challenges, gain ownership of theaters, and survive the demands and dangers of doing all of this. Each “trick” will require differing levels of skill, and many will sap the stamina and strength of the Magician. Performance of tricks earns Money and Fame. The winner is the player with the most Fame and Money at game’s end.
"

Rules are short (4-5 pages, formatted) . . .and it should play with 3-5 players in a couple of hours. Should.

If interested, email me at BergBROG@Comcast.net

Thanx for your interest.

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
email sent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
email sent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
petegrey wrote:
email sent

A rather deluge level of email was sent . . . nice reaction, bringing hope to the heart of the heartless designer. Thanx for the interest, folks . . .

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Houdini is a rather facinating individual. One could call him one of the first pop culture icons of the 20th century as he was so famous world wide.

I've read a couple of books on him over the years. The first was in high school and it would describe the illusions he would do on stage. Then the author would go onto describe how the illusion was done. They were at times so simple that one couldn't help but at first think Houdini was almost cheating. Then you would see just how brilliant the man was that he could take something that seemed so impossible and make it seem to happen with such ease.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
There are two excellent books on Houdini . . . Kenneth Silverman's bio, from 1999 (I think . . . got a front page review in the NYTimes Sunday Book Review, very prestigious), and the recent "Secret Life of Houdini", by Kalush and Sloman, exeptional detail, great pictures, and a most interesting thesis that Houdini was really working as a spy for the USA! Lots of proof offered . . .

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Silverman's bio but Silverman goes to great pains to make sure all magic secrets are kept. Unfortunately that hurts his book I think. When you know a great deal about how Houdini did his illusions you begin to understand the man's genius. To hide how he did them and you are only telling part of the story.

Haven't read the second one but sure have heard about the theory pushed forward in it. Need to pick that one up from the library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Well, a rather large group of playtesters - 24 in all - has now gotten their emailish copy of HOUDINI.

We should be getting some initial reaction shortly . . .

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news? I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to play it at BROGfest. "Too many games" and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.