Subject: Game Analysis Suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ratings [+] similarities [+] [View All]
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, there used to be (still are?) websites where you would rate movies by how much you like them. The website would then look at everyone's ratings and look for similarities in order to suggest movies that you might like or guess how much you will like a given movie.

I was just wondering, is that a very complex algorithm? Are there tools already available for doing such analysis? Is that something that could possibly be implemented here on BGG? That would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
There is such a module on the individual game pages. Normally you'll find it somewhere on the bottom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scroll down towards the bottom of the page on a particular game and you will find a module labelled "You Might Also Enjoy...".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
This feature already exists. Our in-house statistics freakenthusiast Matthew Gray has already produced such an algorithm, although to my knowledge it doesn't take into account your own preferences. (Matthew has been a bit secretive with the algorithm .) It assumes that if you like the game you're looking at, you might also like another.

You'll find this item on every game's page under the module 'You Might Also Enjoy...'. You may need to activate it to make it visible: do that with the 'Customize Layout' link on the top right of every game page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's awesome. The features on those old movie websites seemed to be quite a bit more robust, but this is still very cool. Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also not mentioned are geekbuddies. As you find people that share your interests, you can make them a geekbuddie. Then you can can filter game ratings to your geekbuddies and get a feel for if you will like a particular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.