Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played BattleLore a few times now but I've been thinking about it a bit. In a full Lore/War Council scenario you have to pick your war council among a distributed number of points in levels (many scenarios have 6 and DoW suggests never having a scenario go over 10 points total).

It seems obviously important to me to have a high level Commander so that I can get maximum command card variety. And with 6 points to distribute this would allow for at least one full powered lore master. Picking a level 3 (highest) Lore master gets me the max starting lore cards (3), max initial lore token reserve (3), and max variety of lore cards (4). From the perspective of maxing out cards variety, this would seem to offer the best of both worlds command card flexibility and lore card variety.

I would like to hear if anybody has had much success with no commander and two (maybe even 3 or 4) lore masters in a choice to maximize lore use over command card flexibility? Were you successful? How did it work out for your side? Was it all out lore-using craziness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I haven't even played any custom-war-council scenarios yet.

But I think the 'problem' lies in the lore deck construction. If your opponent's lore council is the complement of yours, only one-quarter of the Lore deck is of your chosen Loremaster type (so three-quarters of the lore cards you draw will only be playable by you if you pay the no-master premium) - and if he went all-four-master diverse you're only slightly better off in terms of likelihood-of-drawing-your-Loremaster's-cards.

I'm inclined to believe it's at least an 'equal' tradeoff to specialize rather than diversify and my first instincts were that it may be 'too much' to sacrifice the ability to play the majority of the Lore cards you draw (at reasonable cost).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried going with a level 2 warrior level 3 cleric and level 1 commander before and it didn't work well. My opponent didn't pick cleric so only 8 cleric cards went in the deck. I didn't have that many options on the field... I think at one point all my cards were on one section and I was getting hammered in the other two. Of course if I had drawn the sweet cleric cards I would have destroyed him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.