Hide
8 Posts

The Banner Saga: Warbands» Forums » General

Subject: About the auction mechanic to make choices... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Sorgdrager
msg tools
I've been spending some time thinking about the auction mechanic when making choices :

It's actually quite smart if you think about it. If your group is experienced in co-op games and tends to talk through all possibilities and reach consensus on decisions, then that's totally fine!

You won't have to spend Renown bidding.

But the auctioneering mechanic are there as a safety net. If there IS ever an argument, the game smartly has a mechanic to wrap that argument into the gameplay itself, instead of having players bickering they can actually solve it using a game mechanic!

And they even get penalized for it, reinforcing the Banner Saga's theme : we have to stand together to survive the end of the world.

I know my gaming group will definitely use the auction mechanic to solve arguments and have fun backstabbing each other. We tend to play co-op that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
You don't need to bid for the mechanic to impact the debate/decision though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont see how spending precious renown resolves deadlocked debates.

Firstly, the rules tell players they MUST agree when players have no renown. It doesn't say how. Renown clearly isn't intended to cleverly resolve these conflicts.

Secondly, if all any player decides to spend most of their renown to take a decision, chances are veryone loses when that player's economy is shattered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
js379 wrote:
The problem is that once you remove the auction system and reduce the decision making down to just discussion, then you don't have much game left.

A thousand times this. Essentially a 'choose your own adventure gamebook' that is sold as 'a multiplayer game' but is essentially a solo gamebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the 'choose your own adventure feel' that the Banner Saga PC game had. I don't think that's a bad thing for this game either, although I'll always feel the game will be improved by vastly more events. The spending you primary resource to force your opinion is the draw back.

I feel this mechanic ruins the 2-3player games too because: in a 3-player game one player has access to more renown and in a 2-player game there's less choice.

As a game group you might as well say: Bob you've got the most renown, you chose the result and spend one renown so we can use willpower in the next skirmish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Meier
Switzerland
flag msg tools
The Gamedesigner already defined a New rule to define the "best player", when the group reach the target.
So when you want to be the "king" you have to keep a delicate balance between teamplay and selfish decisions.
For such an Gamemode the bidding-system would be perfect and the idea Sounds very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.