Subject: When a coporation floats? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gartch Gartch
msg tools
mb
Hello,

I have again a question regarding when a corporation is considered "floating"

When 50% shares of a starting corporation are bought, does the corporation floats instantly, preventing minor companies to merge into it (until phase 5 Minor Company Final exchange round), or is the corporation considered floating only at the end of curent stock round.

Thank you again for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Knight
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you say a Corporation floats on 50%.

However, minor companies will be able to merge into the new corporation, following the connectedness rules, as long as the new corporation has not operated.

In other words in the Share Round merging minor companies is done instead of buying a share, i.e. exchanging a "share in a minor" for a "share in a corporation". (Obviously if you are the President declaring a new corporation then this is an additional action).

Once the following Operating Round is concluded, no minor company may then merge into the corporation until Phase 5 begins and the Final Exchange Round is started.

So the key word is operated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gartch Gartch
msg tools
mb
Ok thank you very much for your very clear answer.

I have an additional question: , before a corporation has operated, if there is no remaining share in Corporation treasury (they were all bought or exchanged for a merging minor company), is it still possible to merge a minor company in the corporation in exchange of "nothing" or is it forbidden?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Michalski
Belgium
Namur
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
before a corporation has operated, if there is no remaining share in Corporation treasury (they were all bought or exchanged for a merging minor company), is it still possible to merge a minor company in the corporation in exchange of "nothing" or is it forbidden?

For the final exchange round, the rule written on top of page 6 applies:

If the Corporation has neither treasury stock nor stock in the Pool, the player receives nothing.
The Minor Company’s money and trains (if any) are returned to the bank, and its token is removed from the board.

In your question you are probably referring to a case not covered by the rules, i.e. relating to company formation time. I think the case is highly hypothetical, and will never occur in a real-life game. There are only a few possibilities on the board to have up to 4 minor companies connected to each other. The player forming the new corporation will have at least 1 of the 4.

If the other 3 minors are split amongst 2 or 3 other players, they surely will have opportunities to exchange.
If the other 3 connected minors are in the hands of one single other player, depending on the number of players at the table and on the choices of other players, that player will have opportunities to sell a few or all his minors. In the worst case, there are 6 players and he is p6: p1 forms the Major, buying the presidency (shares 1 and 2), and exchanging his minor for share 3; p2 buys sh4, p3 buys sh5, p4 buys sh6, p5 buys sh7, and p6 has a chance to exchange one of his 3 minors for sh8, before p1 buys sh9 and sh10 gets acquired by p2, p3, p4 or p5.

Some comments about this example:
1. 18EU is best played with 3 or 4 players, in my opinion
2. Why would other players want to collaborate with p1 instead of starting their own major company?
3. Especially p6 has a strong case for starting a major with potentially all 3 minors merging into his own new major
4. If p6 still wants to collaborate to p1's major by exchanging one of his connected minors, he should make sure the 2 minors he keeps for himself are connected; he will probably launch his major using these during the next Stock Round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gartch Gartch
msg tools
mb
Ok thank you for your long answer, indeed my question was not about the final exchange round but when forming a company

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.