Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have every Heroscape Item except the convention give-aways (which I made my own to save money) in duplicate. It was not that big a deal to get. I either found them at Wal-Mart, Target, TRUS, or on the internet.

But now there is this Flag Bearer thing. My TRUS NEVER has them..Someone buys ALL of them as soon as they are on the shelf (I suspect a store employee).

The website for TRUS does not sell them. What is up with THAT?! I mean, really, they had them pictured,but with a ("Not For Sale At This Time On The Internet). HUH? Why bother to show us what you are not selling? At best, why not give a date when they WILL be available for sell?

So now we turn to EBAY.

Ah yes, the wonderful, price-gouging, souless, anything for a dollar EBAY.

At this writing, the average price for ONE Flag Bearer is apprx. 25-30 bucks. The entire series goes anywhere from 90-150 bucks (???!!!). What the hell is that all about??!!

So has anyone heard when TRUS plans to step up production to "flood" the market with these things like they did with the Volcarren set? Or is this just going to pass as one of those limited release things?

Does any BGG geek out there have an extra 5 figure set they wish to sell me? I will pay extra for the trouble- I will go as high as 80 dollars plus whatever it takes to ship. Contact me if anyone is that kind here on the Geek.

Anyway, I am just disappointed in TRUS and MB for doing such a poor job at spreading the wealth around on this one. I am not ready to quit Heroscape YET, but too much of this and I will begin to think I have bought enough Heroscape and go on to other things to collect- like Battlelore and Mutant Chronicles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that they are cheap. I have seen some sets in online shops in France and they sell them for 30 euro each (1 figure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Isn't $80 the retail price for all 5? Nice of you to be willing to go that high.

And, you are aware that eBay does not itself sell anything, right? Railing against it that way makes little sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
Isn't $80 the retail price for all 5? Nice of you to be willing to go that high.

And, you are aware that eBay does not itself sell anything, right? Railing against it that way makes little sense.

The the Flagbearers went for $12.98 each, IIRC. That sucks that you can't find them where you are at. I don't expect them to return, either. I wish I had some spare for you. You might want to check with heroscapers.com to see if any members have any to spare. Good luck!

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thjodbjorn K.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... I lucked out on my Christmas presents, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Teamski wrote:
tool wrote:

The the Flagbearers went for $12.98 each, IIRC. That sucks that you can't find them where you are at. I don't expect them to return, either. I wish I had some spare for you. You might want to check with heroscapers.com to see if any members have any to spare. Good luck!

-Ski

I'm pretty sure they were more than that at my local TRU.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
Teamski wrote:
tool wrote:

-Ski

I'm pretty sure they were more than that at my local TRU.

I seem to remember the MSRP being something around 12-15 dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres a ton of these at the Jantzen Beach TRU in Portland Oregon.

These look pretty cool, but it smacks too much of collectability to me.

I would have bought if a set of all cost like $20-25.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen them for $14 ($13.98) each at TRUs in NY. Which means about $70 plus tax is just under $76. Which means you are offering $4. I would think that the $90 you are seeing, after fees on ebay, they ain't makin any profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petegrey wrote:
These look pretty cool, but it smacks too much of collectability to me. I would have bought if a set of all cost like $20-25.

Agree. My TRU has had tons of them for months, but I'm reluctant to buy any based on comments I read on BGG in that they just aren't worth the money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're supposed to get one free with the purhcase of either the base game or the fortress set. (That is, when you can find them.) For someone new to the game, that's a deal. Even if you go back to get the others, at least you only have to buy three and not all five at the retail price.

I'm a guy who is on the "get two" plan with Heroscape and even I had to say, "Enough!" after purchasing just one of each.

I think they're fun to play with and you do get more than just the fig: A fistful of specialty D6's for the game, a specialty D20, and an embroidered pull-string bag to go with it. I just couldn't justify getting more than one apiece.

Hang in there. Hasbro and TRU have been pretty good about keeping the availability of their specialty packs high. Talk to the store manager about what's been happening. Or maybe someone on BGG can make a deal with you..,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Between the Wave 4 scarcity, the inability to find Glacier sets on store shelves at all, the overpriced flagbearers, and the convention exclusives, I managed to shake a very nasty "gotta catch 'em all" habit with Heroscape.

I like the game a lot, but all of this was enough to make me realize, "Um...I haven't even gotten a chance to play with half the stuff I've purchased yet."

$13 for a flagbearer is ridiculous. Doubly ridiculous that you'd have to go to Ebay to be able to find a HASBRO product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Between the Wave 4 scarcity, the inability to find Glacier sets on store shelves at all, the overpriced flagbearers, and the convention exclusives, I managed to shake a very nasty "gotta catch 'em all" habit with Heroscape.

I like the game a lot, but all of this was enough to make me realize, "Um...I haven't even gotten a chance to play with half the stuff I've purchased yet."

$13 for a flagbearer is ridiculous. Doubly ridiculous that you'd have to go to Ebay to be able to find a HASBRO product.

There's one thing that I have found in collecting Heroscape since 2004: You have to be aggressively searching for this stuff. Tundra, for example, never showed in my neck of the woods. Hasbro.com offered it for a short time. I didn't wait, ordered 5 sets, got free shipping and I'm a lucky soul today. Wave 6 hasn't shown here at all, so I bought it on-line from HouseMouse even though I love Walmart prices. You cannot rely on Walmart or TRU to have fair distribution or to carry Heroscape in any decent numbers. It's a big gamble if you do. I'll play the game for a bit when a new item comes out, but then you have to hedge your bets.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:

Yeah, the whole gotta get everything attitude wasn't too tough for a CCG player to shake. I just started buying only what I really thought I would use. Zombies are still sitting on shelves In Walmart, other sets sitting around. These flagbearers just make no sense, they aren't THAT great, and they are WAY overpriced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being as I have never seen them on a shelf, only advertised on Ebay, I was guessing they sold for about 70 bucks for the entire set, tax tag and title. I was offering 10 more for gas money. So my ignorance I hope can be overlooked as to how much they REALLY cost at the store.

And Mr Tool, if I offended you for describing the hyper-capitalistic atmosphere fostered by EBAY, I apologize. I am sure that as a professional, you realize that the more something sells for on EBAY, the more EBAY makes in fees. Thus, yes, they DO make money for the high prices generated on the site.

But hey, I have bought a lot on EBAY, and am a fan of the place. If you don't mind the prices.

But please don't tell me EBAY does not make money from the high prices.

And to keep this topic oriented, I have bought a lot of Heroscape stuff on EBAY, and am glad it is there to offer items for sale unable to be found on the streets. I may complain, but in the same breath I will admit it serves a marketing convenience.

For some reason the FLAG BEARERS have been especially brutal to Heroscape fans, especially on EBAY. And that is the not the fault of EBAY/EBAY sellers, but of the companies that make and/or market the figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Purcell
United States
Bettendorf
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I wouldn't feel bad. The very concept of the flag bearers is shameless. In fact, it's the first set I've chosen to ignore. (guess I'm not a completionist). The part that really got me was a quote from one of the designers where they said the Flagbearers were designed with the older fans in mind. How, exactly? By making them expensive, a store exclusive, and underproduced? Gee, thanks.

No thanks - I'll take that $70 and buy two really high quality games from companies that actually care about making a game worth the cost. It's not that I don't like Heroscape anymore (still a big fan). But I hope this product (Flag Bearers) fails and fails hard - and that they never release anything like it again.

Okay, rant over...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My TRU had plenty during December but I didn't buy any since H-scape hardly hits the table at all. For some reason that doesn't keep me from wanting all of Wave 6 though. I just can't find it locally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
I have every Heroscape Item except the convention give-aways (which I made my own to save money) in duplicate. It was not that big a deal to get. I either found them at Wal-Mart, Target, TRUS, or on the internet.

Could be worse. You could be in Canada where toys r us Canada doesn't even get access to the "exclusive" TRU figures, and you can't even mail order online from TRU U.S. even if you could have them ship to a US zip code...so I think you should feel more pain for those outside the U.S.

Plus we still have the same availability problems for the sets we can get in our TRU and Walmarts. Even in a large city where there are several stores. Either this thing is selling beyond all the expectations of Hasbro, or the stocking people in the chains have no clue what they are doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You think Canada is bad, try living in Australia. You can't buy Heroscape 'off the shelf' here at all (except for a recent sellout of the remaing Hasbro Australia stock of Master sets and wave 1 to one toy store chain).

If you are going to buy and play it down under you are limited to online purchases and paying huge amounts of import duty and freight/postage cost.

Hoping that the situation may change, but the wheels of the big corporations are hard to turn by hand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially since China is a lot closer to you guys than the United States. You'd think some sort of arrangement could be made...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try Housemousegames or other on-line retailers. They will charge less of a mark-up than eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did- I emailed Housemouse and she has no idea if or when there will be any more available. Other sites said the same thing.

I have since bought an overpriced set on Ebay. It is OK, and being a completist it is nice to have, but it is not worth the price.

Those dice are mighty cool, though! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Australia, I have learnt to pretend these TRU exculsives don't exist. They are figments of everyone's imagination... otherwise the completionist in me gets antsy!
I've tried to get them to no avail... so now they don't exist.cry
Ben.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to do that until the cravings began to cause weight loss and bouts of hysteria...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 3 or 4 Jandar Flagbearers left at my local TRU as of last Saturday. I almost bought one just for the dice but I almost never get to play the game anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.