Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first card was Russian Cipher Cracked and I obtained the Radio Intercept markers. Looking to the long game, I added a +1 DRM resource to the Western Front to help with the eventual Kaiserschlact (if I make it that far!).

The fourth card was German Aid and the sixth was Mackensen Takes Command, so early in the game I had all the aid markers. This is a positive beginning! I also added another +1 DRM to the Western Front.

Meanwhile, the Battles of Cer and Lodz were victories, while Belgrade was a defeat and Mons, Falklands were stalemates.

The Treaty of London was signed and mid-day cards were mixed in. I spent actions for The Russian Retreat (remove Polish front) on the next card. Passchendaele and Nivelle were scored as a victories, while Von Lettow Vorbeck was a defeat.

WWI advanced into Total War and the Romanians joined the Allies. Trentino was a victory, while Dannube and Tannenberg (!!) were defeats. Seems the hard battles were going my way, while the easy ones were slipping away!

After Dogger Bank and Gallipoli were victories, Bulgaria joined the War; I built the Bulgarian Trench to keep their armies at bay, and the Dusk cards were added. So far, all nationalities of the Hapsburg Empire had remained loyal and all aid markers except two were unused. Very good going so far!

Immediately after this, the Focsani Armistice was signed and Romania left the war. Unfortunately, after this bit of good news, the very next card was War Weariness.

Kaisarschlact began and the first internal revolt occurred with the Croats. All of the Mackensen markers were used over the next few cards to force the Balkans back to the trenches.

For more bad news, the Romanian Army Reformed and that front returned to the map.

Peace Feelers resulted in two nationalities revolting and the Hungarians very near. The Empire was perilously close to an automatic Crushing Defeat! The fronts had to be momentarily ignored to bolster the national loyalties. Because of this, the Fortress of Przemysl was destroyed. National will took a perilous dip. Fortunately, the next card removed the Carpathian front.

The Balkans marched very to close to victory, but German aid turned them back before they could enter Vienna.

Meanwhile, the Italian front turned to its highest side on the second to last card. Miraculously, the Isonzo River kept them at bay the entire game.

The game ends! 9 for the fronts +3 for loyalty and +3 for national will = 15 points, a Marginal Victory!!

This is an excellent, but challenging installation of the States of Siege series. There is much to balance, between the advancing fronts, the national loyalties, and the on-going off-board battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erdem Tunakan
Austria
Wien
Österreich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for saving my Hometown.

I´ve never been able to do so - i´m not smart enought for this
game blush

Thanks for write up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Asimakis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very entertaining write-up.
Thanks.

PLB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up...thanks. This is a great little game...I've actually won a few...very few mind you, but a few whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.