John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is supposed to be a game site that supports board games. If I were Euroboardgamegeek or Ameriboardgamegeek, I could see acting all high and mighty when someone from "the other side" posts to the site. There are prolific posters who have preferences. Fine. Does everyone have to get into a pissing contest about which is better? Isn't arguing over personal opinions a little ridiculous?

My concern is that new users, of which there are MANY making their first appearances on the site, are going to be chased off by the negative and sometimes mean spirited comments. Let's kill the hobby by making people think we're all elitist snobs. Then we can dedicate this site to bemoaning how our FLGS are dead, no one plays the games we like, and all the publishers have gone belly up. That'll be fun.

My advice:
1. Get over it
2. Find people who like the games you like (or introduce them)
3. Form a group
4. Play the games you like
5. Ignore the rest

What differentiates this site from ones where people debate Chevy vs. Ford, d20 vs. everything else, More taste vs. less filling, boxers vs. briefs?

I, for one, play games of all varieties: American, Euros, Miniatures, RPGs, CCG. Each one "scratches a paticular itch".
31 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxers...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Splunge!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Bee
United States
Marin County
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto.

The most important aspect of a game is whether it's FUN or not. I don't care who designed it or where it came from - if it's fun to play, then I like it. The rest is irrelevant.

I don't understand why people insist on bashing games they don't like. I'd rather be spending my time and energy finding and playing games I do enjoy. If a game isn't worth playing, then why bother giving it any more time and attention.

Everybody has different tastes - that's what being part of the human race is all about. Nobody's preferences are better than anyone else's. Nobody's twisting anybody's arm to play games they don't like. So get over it already and go play some games you think are fun...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of those moments where I would stand up in the crowd and

clap....


clap....



clap....



clap....
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently you, since you decided that, even with nobody really bringing anything up about it, other than one thread taht already has enough thumbs down to hide it from view, you needed to post THIS, just to troll up more argument. Sure, you say "Get over it", but really, there isn't anything to get over. Its just people goign on soap boxes trying to incite some stupid argument, either consciously or on accident.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja I, along with most Geeks, I think, enjoy both "schools" of game. But there will always be vocal reactionaries in any community; I suppose we should be grateful that this particular controversy is at least game-related. ninja
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scubadawg1 wrote:

I, for one, play games of all varieties: American, Euros, Miniatures, RPGs, CCG.


So do nearly all of the folks who engage in the debate about the different types of games that you refer to and seem to dislike so strongly.

See for example

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17334

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17277

On these lists of Ameritrash games, you'll find things like Ra and Power Grid. Are these anyone's idea of ameritrash games? I think not. What does this mean?

The debate about these different genres means two things to me---

First, they are truly a debate about game mechanics and about what makes a euro (or whatever) universally loved, even by people who claim they dislike eurogames typically.

Second, the debate has been filled with in jokes, sarcasm, and harmless barbs. People that don't read all of the threads miss a lot of the inside jokes and often fail to detect sarcasm. A lot of time someone makes an inside joke and someone that doesn't get it registers it as an attack.

I am sorry if you do not enjoy these debates and discussion. The easy solution is just don't read the posts and threads. That way you don't have to look at them and everyone can continue to discuss whatever games they want however they want.

Let the thumbs down of my post begin!

Edit: can't spell

14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, what the Hell are we SUPPOSED to talk about?!?!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bohemian wrote:
Well, what the Hell are we SUPPOSED to talk about?!?!


Fun and GAMES apparently.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe this post has 5 thumbs down already, even if it is a troll.... Yay another victory for censorship
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
I can't believe this post has 5 thumbs down already, even if it is a troll.... Yay another victory for censorship


Mine says 0.

Just looks like a victory for stupidity to me.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
it has 5 thumbs up to counter the thumbs down...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bohemian wrote:
Well, what the Hell are we SUPPOSED to talk about?!?!


Apparently not your likes and dislikes in games.... The new users might think that we disagree or something.... or that we don't like the games we don't like. Don't talk about your preferences... what the hell is wrong with you people!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
it has 5 thumbs up to counter the thumbs down...


Soooo, its not censoring ANYTHING? So you just posted about censorship for no apparent reason? Thumbing down isn't "censorship", what he is doing is just inciting an argument, on something that has been covered to DEATH. its not useful in the site, and shouldn't be here. Ala, thumbs DOWN.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fair enough...each to their own...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just gotta say one thing....I play games!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I don't think his intention was to start another dumb argument.

I think he is simply asking that certain people tone down the "crap" attached to their posts in threads and Geeklist's or even comments.

It is already old and lame and people are sick of it not to mention how it could effect newbies as the poster stated.

Both camps have there advantages and disadvantages and most of us know what they are so those who feel compelled to try and point it out all the time (which seem to be the AT people BTW) should really 'get over it and on with it' as the poster states.

If people really wanted to know if a game was AT or Euro and why it was better than the polar opposite they would most likely ask but truthfully most of us don't give a rat's ass which camp a game falls in, we just want to know if it is good and why it is or isn't (which saying it is euro garbage or something stupid like that doesn't cut it).

I like games in both camps as do the majority, lets all try to get back to where we were before this whole clasification got blown out of proportion. Let's all talk about why games are good or bad, fun or not based on it's mechanics, strategy, replay and the like and leave out the trash talk. Both camps have complete garbage in them, who gives a rats ass already.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rodenbeck
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
I played both Twilight Imperium and Caylus last Saturday. I lost badly in both, but I had plenty of fun and that's what counts, right?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Stanley
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't you see? This is exactly what the terrorists want. cry
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Quote:
My concern is that new users, of which there are MANY making their first appearances on the site, are going to be chased off by the negative and sometimes mean spirited comments.


Why would you be concerned about that? It's not as if they are new people, never before exposed to the internet. Your assumption is pretty elitist in itself. I have recruited 10-15 people to BGG over the last few years... most of them are battle-hardened gamers who have bought and played hundreds of games. Each one is no stranger to the internet, to rowdy behavior, to spirited debate, or to the concept that argument can elevate understanding.

Quote:
1. Get over it
2. Find people who like the games you like (or introduce them)
3. Form a group
4. Play the games you like
5. Ignore the rest


Pretty much all of us already do that...hell, I was doing that 30 years ago. Why do I need you to tell me what I should be doing? Oh yeah.. I don't! Sounds like you're irritated about something you read here... well, take a breather... follow steps 1-5 above, note that none of them require BGG to follow... and then come back when you feel better.

Quote:
I, for one, play games of all varieties: American, Euros, Miniatures, RPGs, CCG. Each one "scratches a paticular itch".


You just described the majority of members here, so you're in good company my friend. This is a pretty big room so if you overhear some stuff that doesn't appeal to you well hell!... just walk to another side of the room.

Whether you agree or not, it seems to me that the "debate" and subsequent evolution of the concept of Ameritrash is highly instructive, usually intelligent, often hilarious and pretty much exhibits the excellent variety of personalities that BGG attracts. This place would be total crap if everyone just logged in, nodded politely (and silenty) to each other, recorded their sessions, downloaded a play aid and then left quickly, ensuring the door didn't slam so as to not disturb the other members.

Quote:
This is supposed to be a game site that supports board games.


I'm sure it'll eventually attain that lofty goal.

21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Both camps have there advantages and disadvantages and most of us know what they are so those who feel compelled to try and point it out all the time (which seem to be the AT people BTW)



I'm sorry...but that was some deliciously rich irony.


I think I spent the better part of another thread detailing how "AT people" wasn't accurate terminology, but "AT games" works just fine.

I am not in support of the vitriolic content of some of the most vocal "warriors" in this alleged "war". But your finger-pointing comment is exactly the sort of behavior that gave birth to the "Anti-Euro" sentiment in the first place.


"It's YOU Ameritrash people who are causing all the problems, BTW"


laugh


Lest we forget, the point of the entire movement was to define the genre and share opinions with like-minded people--it was "you Euro folk" (terminology used with tongue firmly planted in cheek) who stormed in saying, "CAN'T YOU PEOPLE JUST SHUT UP?"


From there, the negativity was just a natural but unfortunate evolution.



Like I said, for every 1 user who is a vocal detractor--from ANY side--you've got a couple of hundred gamers or more who are content to just play games. I'm one of them. Let's focus on them and not worry about the rest.


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:
My concern is that new users, of which there are MANY making their first appearances on the site, are going to be chased off by the negative and sometimes mean spirited comments.


Why would you be concerned about that? It's not as if they are new people, never before exposed to the internet. Your assumption is pretty elitist in itself. I have recruited 10-15 people to BGG over the last few years... most of them are battle-hardened gamers who have bought and played hundreds of games. Each one is no stranger to the internet, to rowdy behavior, to spirited debate, or to the concept that argument can elevate understanding.

Quote:
1. Get over it
2. Find people who like the games you like (or introduce them)
3. Form a group
4. Play the games you like
5. Ignore the rest


Pretty much all of us already do that...hell, I was doing that 30 years ago. Why do I need you to tell me what I should be doing? Oh yeah.. I don't! Sounds like you're irritated about something you read here... well, take a breather... follow steps 1-5 above, note that none of them require BGG to follow... and then come back when you feel better.

Quote:
I, for one, play games of all varieties: American, Euros, Miniatures, RPGs, CCG. Each one "scratches a paticular itch".


You just described the majority of members here, so you're in good company my friend. This is a pretty big room so if you overhear some stuff that doesn't appeal to you well hell!... just walk to another side of the room.

Whether you agree or not, it seems to me that the "debate" and subsequent evolution of the concept of Ameritrash is highly instructive, usually intelligent, often hilarious and pretty much exhibits the excellent variety of personalities that BGG attracts. This place would be total crap if everyone just logged in, nodded politely (and silenty) to each other, recorded their sessions, downloaded a play aid and then left quickly, ensuring the door didn't slam so as to not disturb the other members.

Quote:
This is supposed to be a game site that supports board games.


I'm sure it'll eventually attain that lofty goal.



Where is the Double Thumbs icon? OR maybe the Dogma "Buddy Christ" thumb? WHERE!!!!

Oh wait,


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Avatar
mbmbmb
It doesn't scare off only new users... there are several friends of mine that I've met in the hobby who told me they won't ever "return" to the halls of BGG due to the vitriol and rudeness that they have experienced firsthand.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Aldie wrote:
It doesn't scare off only new users... there are several friends of mine that I've met in the hobby who told me they won't ever "return" to the halls of BGG due to the vitriol and rudeness that they have experienced firsthand.


And what of the inverse?
I wouldn't hang around here if it was all Disney style sunshine and lovely scented flowers on here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would get bored very quickly.


Yeah, Disney style sunshine is scary. I still have nightmares about The Little Mermaid.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.