Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Legal [+] [View All]
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
Hello there my fellow boardgames enthusiasts! I assume that most of you that dig deep inside this forum to find this threads do it in a repetitive manner, and so I might throw in an assumption that perhaps you saw my other game thread – this one here! So, without further ado...

MISHMASH: Galaxy is a game for 2-5 players in which you use imaginary and made-believe substances from a mix of most beloved Sci-Fi settings, including Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Stargate and more to create staples of Science Fiction technologies - warp travel, FTL engines, laser weaponry and many more!

PNP FILES 'Printer Friendly':
// This a 0.1 version! The files will change often and we will inform of the changes! //

1. RULES
2. TECHNOLOGY CARDS
3. SUBSTANCE CARDS

PNP FILES 'Full Graphics':
// This a 0.1 version! The files will change often and we will inform of the changes! //

1. TECHNOLOGY CARDS
2. SUBSTANCE CARDS

HOW IT WORKS?

Game is pretty simple in its core mechanics. Depending on the number of players you prepare the number of Technology Cards to be played. Each technology card provide three informations - Ingredients Requirement, Ability and Score.

Ingredients required are the amount and colors of the ingredients needed to be played in proper order to fulfill the Technology. When it is fulfilled it is considered completed and therefore players who help finish it get some benefits - the use of the ability, the score which is victory points.

To fulfill the Technologies players have to play their Substasnce Cards from thier hands. The trick is, they do that in a secret way - play them next to the mixture face down! So the player have to remember and keep in mind the cards he already played. Below each played card a player put his ownership token which displays that that card is his contribution. Why it's important?

Contributions are used to define who made the most effort in finishing a Technology, and based on that the rewards are distributed - major score (the bigger number!), minor score and the ability of the card!

Furthermore, the cards played to the Technology cards have their own ability that trigger when the cards are revelead after the technology is completed - these abilites can change a lot in situation on the board, mess with players hands or offer them extra points for fulfilling an additional task.

To add even more planning to the game and the ability to influence the cards, each player can also play a Research Card! Every Substance Card consist of two abilities - one (top one) is resolved only if the substance was played as a contribution to the technology. The other ability (bottom one) triggers when the card was played as a Research Card. To play a Research Card player put a card face down in front of him, and it will resolve at the beginning of that player next turn.

When a Technology if fulfilled and the spoils divided amongst the contributor, draw an reveal another one from the prepared stack. When all Technologies are completed, the game ends, and the player holding most victory points is the winner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
Re: [WIP] Mish-Mash! A strategic planning card game about fantasy substances.
I like the look of your game but in the Mix Cards the first five cards say 'immidietly'. Did you mean 'immediately'? In the subsequent cards the grammar is rushed (you/your, gets, tense is inconsistent). shake

I voted Comics, there should be a plethora of elements to choose from there. DC/Marvel.

I like "Plotanium", it fits like a glove (lead-lined that is).

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the votes! And yeah, the grammar might be really bad on this ones considering they were rather hastily written in the simple matter that they are actually fourth iteration of the cards - we change them every single testing session so we are not really getting used to them ;D

Next version will be proofreaded or even translated by a professional, that's for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks to the help of impeccable
David Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
(thanks one more time!) all the prototype files now got a proper proof reading and lots and lots of grammar and spelling mistakes are now gone, in the past! ;D So if you'd like to grab a proper PDF's of the files, here they are:

1. RULES
2. MIXTURE CARDS
3. SUBSTANCE CARDS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
Hello there fellow boardgamers! We are working rather feverishly on the game as for the moment, but we don't want to push in any direction without your feedback! We are currently gathering more and more data, comments and information on various forums, both for the boardgamers and the fans of various Sci-Fi settings that we'd like to include in the game However right now we are seriously struggling with the Look and Feel of the game, it's tone and artwork to be chosen!

Basically, we have three ideas to work with and we would love to hear from you about which one you like best! So, here we go

Mish Mash is a crazy clever card game where the inventions out of Star Wars, Star Trek and more of your beloved universes come to life as you use amazing subtances to make them happen!

The Serious! In this approach the game will try it's best to have a proper look and graphics in accordance to all geek standards! Proper devices from Star Wars, Star Trek and more, "realistic" materials listed in impeccable details for each setting. This theme would try it's best to carry the glorious gravitas of such esteemed universes and mix them together as tastefully as it is possible

Mish Mash is a funny and strategic card game where you mix substances and inventions of Star Wars, Star Trek and other Science Fiction Universes.

The Lighthearted! In this theme we are giving the game a bit more air to breath! Light, colorful illustrations, not-so-strict adherance to the source material, more liberties with the names and looks of the substances and technology displayed in the cards! He you will see badassium working together with bombastium to create time travelling devices.

Mish Mash is a wickedly funny card game of insane and ridiculous science! Mix the substances from Star Trek, Star Wars and many more to compose hilarious devices and technologies, from Warm Drive to Lightswiss Army Knife!

The Goofy! And here we drop every pretense! Here you will see Craptasium and Plotanium mingle together to create such glorious devices like Literal At-At, Lightswiss Army Knife, the Death-Death Star and many more! Expect highly comedic content, shameless satire on everything Sci-Fi and unimaginable combinations making ridiculous technologies - even more so than we actually see in our beloved movies and tv series!

Poll: Which Theme you prefer?
The Serious!
The Lighthearted!
The Goofy!
      25 answers
Poll created by Fireant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
None of the 3 strike me, but overall I think this game should have a serious design (not silly or cartoony).

The game idea is neat! I think I name like these might be better:

TECHNO-BABBLE
Synchronize the Modulator

or

SCIFINIUM
Mish Mash Techno-Babble Devices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the input! We mainy picked MishMash because we believe we can make more themes using the same basic core Like... Fantasy realms, Steampunk, Gothic and so on.

I must admit though, I do like Scifinium a lot.

And nice to hear you like the game idea! My question is, you think we could present it here in a better way? Like... What is missing to fully show the game? Cards? Explanation of a round? How to play pictures? Any input is valuable

Basically, is there anything else missing from the thread to make the game more accessible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
Hello in this fine european morning!

It's time to unravel a new prototype, more... flashy Basically speaking if the crude but ink-friendly carts from the PDFs linked in the main thread on top are not your style and you would not like to try to invest your friends in testing a game that looks so shabby, we reach out and prepared a whole set of the cards with the fresh, SCI-FI theme just for you!

Here is a preview!

This cards are of course still prototypes! The artwork will change for sure, the current illustrations are just placeholders for testing purposes. The layout might change of course...

But that depends on your feedback! So tell us what you think about the look and feel of the cards, please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i like the layout your cards. the division of key elements makes them readable. i also like the layout of your rule sheet. keep going! nice progress
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you've done a great job in laying out the different information. What I find interesting is that you've actually gone for not much room for artwork, yet it's still eye-catching.

Was it a tough decision to give relatively (to other game's cards) little room to the artwork, especially considering you could have sacrificed some size and room with those numbers at the bottom of the technology cards?

Personally I much prefer this sci-fi look to those other designs you showed.

Looking good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
dumarest123 wrote:
i like the layout your cards. the division of key elements makes them readable. i also like the layout of your rule sheet. keep going! nice progress

Thanks! Glad to hear that the cards are clear and readable and all the key components stay out. It was quite a challenge to compose a layout that can convey all information quickly and effortlessly Thank you for the feedback, and hey, perhaps you can tell us more about the look, feel and most importantly - content of the 'how to play' sheets posted above?

bettellmd wrote:
I think you've done a great job in laying out the different information. What I find interesting is that you've actually gone for not much room for artwork, yet it's still eye-catching.

Was it a tough decision to give relatively (to other game's cards) little room to the artwork, especially considering you could have sacrificed some size and room with those numbers at the bottom of the technology cards?

Personally I much prefer this sci-fi look to those other designs you showed.

Looking good!

Hey, thanks! Another confirmation that cards are clear and clean is a soothing thing for my mind As for the decision...

Frankly, there were none! This cards are still very much prototype cards, the very first draft of the proper look and feel so to speak. I am glad that the small art window still managed to catch the eye, but I am also confident that in the next iteration I will be able to make it higher and give the art more space to be presented without losing the clarity and readability of this design
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer

Hello dear reader, subcribers, fellow game designers and all-around boardgame geeks! As we are working with an unending drive on the visuals, theme and grinding the mechanics through playtests I've decided to perhaps share a glimpse of how the Mishmash became Mishmash: Galaxy and what idea brew the game to life! So, without further ado...

See, I am a geek. A nerd. A big one! I love all Star Wars movies (Yes, even the prequel trilogy, par J.J.Bins...), I am binging on Doctor Who like crazy, I enjoy the grittiness of Battlestar: Galactica and the more lighthearted but universal stuff of Star Trek. And that counts only for the Sci-Fi settings and universes, if I'd add all the fantasy worlds I love the list could go on for a very, very long time. Basically speaking, I am aware that I am hardly a special snowflake here, and there are plenty, ah, a whole vastness of people like me - fans. Fans of so many different fandoms, either with strong, feverish, rubber-ears wearing passion or just slight joy they take from sitting down on a couch to watch through another episode of Smallville or Supernatural... And I wondered on a thing.

A thing being, that if I want to enjoy all my favourite stuff, I have to take lots of different products in. Oh it's understandable! Star Wars or Star Trek are /huge/ franchises with massive media coverage and they of course keep their property where it belongs... That's why Spock mingling with Vader is a stuff or fanfiction, especially the one found in the darkest depths of the Internet (trust me, if you will look well enough, you will find the most crazy things, like Jar Jar Binks being the ultimate sith lord...).

And when I'd like to enjoy the theme in general, I either have to accept a parody/satire approach, like in Munchkin or swallow the fact that mixing such big things together is not a possiblity and so, will have to enjoy a more generic SF theme. Which is all fine and good, but then I figured out a simple thing, something we all know...

Despite the differences, at the core, all Sci-Fi themes uses the same stuff.

This is hardly surprising! Cliches and Tropes are what carry stories onward, but Sci-Fi or Fantasy are having such a vast library of common denominators and things that you just find in every single one of them! Tractor Beams? Check. Laser Weaponry? Please, it's harder to find a SF setting that /doesn't have/ some sort of energy guns than find one that does. Teleporation? Yawn, most of them have it. Huge, kilometers long battleships? Droids? Universal Translators? Time Machines? Portals? Warp Drives? FTL travel of other kind? When I watch Star Wars, I do it for the Jedi fighting Sith, for the simple 'good/evil' divide and of course lightsabers. When I watch Doctor Who I want a flying police box and wonky ramshackle technology through time... But all of this stuff is what makes the setting unique, when at the same time none of them could exist without all this other stuff, the glue, the common denominators.

But there is one extra thing that universally join all Sci-Fi Settings together... It's...

Unobtainium

Also known as Phlebotinum - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AppliedPhlebotinu... - the made up substances, metals, materials, plastics, compounds, chemicals, particles and whatever-you-need'iums that make things happens, when explaining stuff is too bothersome and would take too much time. Why the lightsaber didn't cut this guy through? Oh he is wearing a phrik armour. Hey, why Daleks are so tough? Dalekanium of course! What makes the Galactica fly through space? Tylium, because hey, regular fuel ain't good enough. As you know, the examples can go on and on, as each setting grows so does the list of the 'deus ex machina' substances. Bah, if you check Star Trek or Star Wars wiki - the two big players! - you will see that both sport over a hundred articles of this stuff! Even our own, good, old and trusted Mendelejew Periodic Table do not offer such vast riches of, well... stuff to work with.

AND SO, the idea was born. Why we don't make a game, when players uses all of this made-up substances to complete and create the staples of any respectable Sci-Fi setting?

The answer was - Gosh, sure, let's do this! And so Mishmash: Galaxy was made. Why Mishmash? Well, because that's what we have here, don't we? We mix all of the stuff together to build and make another set of things that are crucial for spaceships to fly, planets to be conquered and dimensions to be breached. Why Galaxy? The theme should answer this question neatly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see 5 colors in circles (that can be in any one of 5 positions). Would you consider making those color blind friendly? One way you could do that would be to add 4 other shapes to the circles. Hexagon is an obvious one, and borrowing from Ingenious you can get a couple of different starbursts (jagged edged circles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
This is something we did not considered as for the prototype stage. My bad, really! Will surely add some other way to denominate the different ingredients so the game can be color blind friendly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace McDermott
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hey, I recognise you from Facebook!

I am absolutely loving the card design for this (I mean, you already had me sold with the theme).

And yeah, small icons would help with the distinction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer

And we need your help once more!

We are deciding on the final card design, so here it is - dark and heavy, or light and bright? Pick your favourite and tell us in the comments which one you like more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the light and bright one, although it doesn't feel quite so sci-fi. The laurel wreaths convey 'winner points' and '2nd place points' - is that what they are meant to convey?

Do the arrows on the elements convey anything? Do they sometimes not appear? If they are not necessary, I think you could lose them.

The light one doesn't say 'Technology Card' - is that not needed?

Are there abilities which aren't 'star' abilities? Again I think you could lose the star if it doesn't affect anything.

More artwork size!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
Hey hey! Thanks for the feedback, I must say, I was amazed by the amount of insight I got for this two cards... And just for your information, if you perhaps do not know, there are two amazing Facebook groups for game designers and everyone who enjoys dabbling in making tabletop games! Check them out - Game Makers Haven and Tabletop Art Design. Both places are great things for insight and feedback on games projects Be sure to join in, the nice folks there helps a lot!

And on another topic...

MERRY CHRISTMASS!
Best wishes, realisation of your dreams and best boardgames under the tree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I like the brighter one far better. I'd go even brighter and flatter.

I like designs where the artwork has no border or bevel at the top of the card.

I think the title is an inefficient use of space, get rid of the whole thing. Have the artwork go right to the colored icons. The title text then can be larger, in white, and watermarked/transparent over the artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer

Hello again in the new year! Some weeks ago you all gave me an astonishingly robust feedback on the card layouts for my newest game and I took the words to hearts, and so, here I want to show you two new light card designs, including changes like:

- Bigger Artbox
- Added 'Technology Card' subtybe as a denominator commonly used in the cards text.
- Unified the star next to Ability in color. The symbol is used on other cards that rely to the Technology Cards abilities.
- Added semi-transparent symbols to the colored circles of the ingredients to make the cards more friendly for the color-blind players.

And some other minor tweaks in color and text to make everything a bit for crispier and sharper.

I await your feedback! Tell me which one you prefer from the two and what further changes could be implemented to make the card both pleasing on the eyes and clear in readability!

And like always - if you like what you see and are interested in the game, subscribe to our newsletter for news about the development and progress:

http://mishmashthegame.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty good. Just one thing: I can hardly see the shapes in the ingredient circles, any way you could make those pop more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
Absolutely. I am already working on the next iteration due to /OVERWHELMING/ feedback we've got on facebook groups and one of the issues was that the icons are not all that helpful right now, both for the sake of quicker identification as well as for the color-blind people. Next version is coming soon, like a steam train! Choo choo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is an icon concept.

Rules fix: ownership token: "whenever a card is played from hand"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Gomez
msg tools
mb
aVoidGames wrote:

Here is an icon concept.

Rules fix: ownership token: "whenever a card is played from hand"

I have to say that I really like that Icon you made there! It's clearer and uses the space more wisely ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.