South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looking for suggestions, for a 3-D printer (and software):

- if I wanted to make custom gaming miniatures
- pref. plastic over wood
- price obv. a factor as well
- do the 3-D printers 'copy' from an image, or are there also some that would 'copy' an existing piece?
- best website to use as a resource?

thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how many pieces you want to make, you might be better of, just using a 3D printer service. Like shapeways.

I highly doubt, that there are printers that can "clone" pieces. They would have to make a 3D scan of the existing piece and translate that into a printable image somehow. That seems rather unlikely.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
I highly doubt, that there are printers that can "clone" pieces. They would have to make a 3D scan of the existing piece and translate that into a printable image somehow.
I downloaded an app a year or two ago that would create a 3D scan of an object. You would use the camera and slowly walk around the object keeping the camera focused on the item. It would then process the scans (and maybe location data?) to create a file which you could use with 3D printers. It would give you the files and/or I think there was some partner company that would print it for you?

It kinda worked if you did it perfectly. But if you weren't perfect the results were wonky and created impossible shapes that didn't match your item. I don't remember the name of the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAIK, no 3D printers do both scanning and printing. You would need both a 3D scanner and a printer.

MakerBot has been around quite a while and seems to have really innovated on the products.

The MakerBot 3D scanner: http://store.makerbot.com/digitizer

They have several different models of printers, some of which are experimental:

http://store.makerbot.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makerbot printers work great once you get the hang of things. They do produce a 3D scanner but reviews have been mixed and I haven't made the jump to one.
On the printer side, they make a solid unit that prints very well. I have been producing 3D terrain for Bolt Action and I am happy with the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the feeling you don't know much about designing in the 3d world. With that in mind your jumping the gun. A 3d printer, scanner, and software is expensive if you want the good stuff. Though I don't know what your budget is nor if you need the good stuff. A great suggestion, as mentioned above, is to talk to a 3d printing business. They will do the work your not prepared for and you'll get a better idea of the whole process. After that you could try contacting 3d printer manufacturers as they will go out of their way to teach you as they would be the ones you would buy from. They are not there for the quick sell, they know they have got to make sure your happy with the product so they will make sure you know how to use it.
And think about what type of minis you want. A 3d printer that uses a filler material (a 2nd material that is easily cleaned off) is usually much more expensive than a basic one but may be the only way to get high quality complex designs printed.
And best of luck finding the right printer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
In regards to miniature printing, do people feel that 3D printing is at a similar quality level with the latest CMoN products? Or does it sorta miss a lot of the finer details that you would see on a Blood Rage figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can make miniatures of that quality level with 3D printing (for a reasonable cost).

There's a reason why it is only used for prototypes.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
I don't think you can make miniatures of that quality level with 3D printing (for a reasonable cost).

Bye
Thanee

Seconded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin N
Canada
Victoria
British columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jukujin wrote:
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee

Seconded.

Thirded...

I borrowed a makerbot replicator 2 from work, and printed a table top sized Timberwolf for battletech. the resolution just isn't good enough... now if you're ok with that... then it's a great resource for "oh shit, i need this thing for the session tomorrow!!!" and you can print one off, do some clean up and be good to go for the session, but it'll look rough.

Places like Shapeways can give you better quality prints, but it's expensive. A printer that can produce good quality miniatures, is cost prohibitive.

But if you're not super concerned about super high detail, then something like the replicator 2 will work... ok... not terribly well, but ok...

it won't work to print things like swords that are standing upright, due to how a FDM style printer works. the part won't have time to cool before the next layer gets laid down, and you'll end up with a poor quality print.

things like the Form 1+ should handle things like that a bit better, but i don't have the experience with those kinds of printers.

I'm getting a Tiko soon!!!! and when it gets in i'll be able to comment on it, but it will likely suffer the same issues as the makerbot, unless it has settings to let layers cool off before proceeding to the next layer... and the Tiko is only $190 USD... once the kickstarter is shipped they are opening up for pre-orders and stuff.

Sources / links:
https://www.tiko3d.com/
http://formlabs.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schmauss
United States
Lacombe
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a Formlabs 1+ everyday. It can make very nice pieces with lots of details (.1mm, .05mm, .025mm) but it will cost 16 cents per milliliter. One liter of their regular resin cost with shipping ~ $160.0 U.S. Printer is expensive $3,500, used go for much lower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchine Manchine
United States
Saginaw
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
So the best 3D Printer Place is Shapeways. For Price and Quality? Or did you just give out one place.

This is for printing out Character Molds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
The best may be cheap or free. We lost our ME and reason for having a 3D printer, so we'd be willing to sell it for cheap (as long as S&H is covered).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're only doing a few items, you may just want to see if you can "borrow" one. I seen a card rack used for the skill cards in Battlestar Galactica that was 3D printed. They used the 3D printer at their local library for that.

Kantas wrote:
jukujin wrote:
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee

Seconded.

Thirded...

I borrowed a makerbot replicator 2 from work, and printed a table top sized Timberwolf for battletech. the resolution just isn't good enough... now if you're ok with that... then it's a great resource for "oh shit, i need this thing for the session tomorrow!!!" and you can print one off, do some clean up and be good to go for the session, but it'll look rough.

Places like Shapeways can give you better quality prints, but it's expensive. A printer that can produce good quality miniatures, is cost prohibitive.

But if you're not super concerned about super high detail, then something like the replicator 2 will work... ok... not terribly well, but ok...

it won't work to print things like swords that are standing upright, due to how a FDM style printer works. the part won't have time to cool before the next layer gets laid down, and you'll end up with a poor quality print.

things like the Form 1+ should handle things like that a bit better, but i don't have the experience with those kinds of printers.

I'm getting a Tiko soon!!!! and when it gets in i'll be able to comment on it, but it will likely suffer the same issues as the makerbot, unless it has settings to let layers cool off before proceeding to the next layer... and the Tiko is only $190 USD... once the kickstarter is shipped they are opening up for pre-orders and stuff.

Sources / links:
https://www.tiko3d.com/
http://formlabs.com/
There was a thread about why games are still OOP despite 3D printers reaching a new level of use. Basically, this.... They still pale in comparison to the quality of minis that come from traditional methods.

MIDEDIT: Ah, here's that post! (and by extension, the thread itself)....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/19405432#19405432
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
If you're only doing a few items, you may just want to see if you can "borrow" one.

That's a great point. We have places locally that for a fee will 3D print your items. I'm sure there are places online that do that, too, if you pay them and send them the files. If you're doing a few dozen or less, that may be much more cost effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.