Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would the designated attacker for the scenario always be the attacker during the close combat phase, in which case the modifier on the Elam track would be used? Very cool game by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hi Matt,

and thank you for your kind words !

Yes, the Defender is always the Defender, even if he chooses to perform a Close Assault during his own phase.

The bonus/malus of the Elan Track are used by the Attacking side (the side that goes over the top), only!

Note that the "Attacker" may suffer malus on the Elan Track, even if it is the "Defender" that triggered the Close Combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for the quick response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
On the other side!
badge
On the other side!
mbmbmbmbmb
arnauld wrote:
Hi Matt,

and thank you for your kind words !

Yes, the Defender is always the Defender, even if he chooses to perform a Close Assault during his own phase.

The bonus/malus of the Elan Track are used by the Attacking side (the side that goes over the top), only!

Note that the "Attacker" may suffer malus on the Elan Track, even if it is the "Defender" that triggered the Close Combat.

Another CC question: I assume if attacking units combined have size 4 and defending units size 2 (for example if the attacker has 2 size-2 units and the defender 2 size-1 units) the net modifier would be +2 for the size difference?

When you are in close combat, can you choose to attack only some of the units in the same hex and not all?

Do you get the pinned modifier if one of the enemy units in the same hex is pinned or do all have to be pinned?

I feel the table sometimes gives rather odd results: If you have a size-0 units that is gassed, you seem to be worse of as a defender than if you just didn't have it. it contributes nothing to size and leaves you with a -1 DRM.

Generally, I was quite surprised that the few French units that made it to the Trenches in Scenario 1+2 (the only ones I have played so far), could just sweep through the trenches with their massive +2 or +3 modifiers. Nothing the Germans could do to stop them. Even if only at +1, a killer stack with an officer in it is still hard to stop, especially with ample initiative and rerolls available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes,
I must admit there is a problem with this rule/table. I fear it is the old one.

Use the following rule:

Use the best size amongst the units who perform the close combat.

Add +1 per extra unit
+1 if AT LEAST one unit is Pinned
+1/-1 if AT LEAST one unit is Gassed

As indicated in the rule, the Defender (the owning player) chooses his unit(s) he wants to use.

Regarding the high modifier for thé Attacker: the Defender has to do his best to delay the French advance. Hence, you will have a greatest probability to draw Close Combat Élan markers that will decrease the Attacker's DRM. If the delay is sufficient, the Attacker will "benefit" plus instead of bonus.

I will try to find the time to correct the rules and upload an updated version of the rules if someone here is interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
On the other side!
badge
On the other side!
mbmbmbmbmb
arnauld wrote:
Yes,
I must admit there is a problem with this rule/table. I fear it is the old one.

Use the following rule:

Use the best size amongst the units who perform the close combat.

Add +1 per extra unit
+1 if AT LEAST one unit is Pinned
+1/-1 if AT LEAST one unit is Gassed

As indicated in the rule, the Defender (the owning player) chooses his unit(s) he wants to use.

Regarding the high modifier for thé Attacker: the Defender has to do his best to delay the French advance. Hence, you will have a greatest probability to draw Close Combat Élan markers that will decrease the Attacker's DRM. If the delay is sufficient, the Attacker will "benefit" plus instead of bonus.

I will try to find the time to correct the rules and upload an updated version of the rules if someone here is interested.

With that new system, MGs suddenly become quite useful in CC by giving a +1 if there is another unit, say Size 1, in the hex, which they wouldn't give if they were on their own.

So, a Size 2 unit attacking an MG would get a +2 modifier while a Size 2 unit attacking a size 1 unit and an MG would get +0. I think this is still a bit odd. Maybe just give the modifier for the difference in cumulative unit size (i.e. all units from both sides added together)? Then it would be +1, as the MG simply does not count. You could say that the pin/gas modifier does not apply if the unit is Size 0, UNLESS it is alone in its hex. That way, they would simply not have an effect on the CC if stacked with another unit but would still suffer from pin/gas if they defend on their own.

As for the question of the French CC: As a defender, you cannot really hold them ALL up in a meaningful way, it is quite predictable in what turns the first units will enter your trenches. Of course, many will be dead but some will make it through. If by that time no CC markers have been drawn, you will get torn to pieces, even if just one or two units make it into the trench. Admittedly, I have not played it so much so will give it another shot to see. :-)

I also posted a few other questions here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1385310/gas-mortar-grenade-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
In fact, a MG is useless in a trench. The weapon is unsuitable for this task, so it very vulnerable when alone.
If your Size 2 unit attack a Size 1 unit, we may consider that the MG servant give help by supporting the Defender in a way or another. They are not overwhelmed by the attacker so it possible for them to be useful. So I'd keep the rule.

Pinned defending units are engaged in Close Combat only if there are no Not Pinned units in the hex. In this case, ALL Pinned units participate and they don't benefit the +1 DRM for extra unit)

GAS: you mean you don't want to apply this DRM if all units in the hex are not gassed ? I don't think it is a good idea: it will decrease the effects of the gas and will encourage players to mix gassed and non gassed units to get round the rule.

About the predictability: don't forger that units mays be Pinned. We cannot know when it will be unpinned.

I stay open for further suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.