Subject: Monster attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly (hopefully not, given I've only read through the rule pdf once):

Each character gets one action. But part of every action is rolling black dice if you're engaged, which could result in getting wounded for the full attack value of a creature you're engaged with.

IF you're attacking (which seems to only be once every few turns), you get to do ONE damage per success per target (by default only one target, but it looks like some abilities let you hit multiple). Looks like a number of creatures have multiple health points.

After characters have each taken an action, the monsters that aren't dead get to do their full damage to the characters they're engaged with. Do they really do this after EVERY character has performed one action?

So while you're basically pinging monsters once every 4 turns, they're ripping you to shreds for multiple points of damage per turn? Resting seems like it wouldn't even be able to out-heal the damage the character is going to take on the turn he rests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster phase is after hero activation phase so they get the attack once, after all heroes have activated.

So it would be (for a 4 hero game) hero > hero > hero > hero > monster > location >...repeat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sadler
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rykaar wrote:

After characters have each taken an action, the monsters that aren't dead get to do their full damage to the characters they're engaged with. Do they really do this after EVERY character has performed one action?

This part is incorrect. Enemies only deal damage if they have the Inflict keyword on their effect bar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, a lot of enemies will not inflict damage during their activation. For example, the skeleton horde (I think it's called) only does an advance during their activation. It has high attack but it will only damage you if you if you roll the attack on the black die during your activation. So you can try to deal with this by not engaging other enemies (reducing his chance of attacking), engaging him to a hero who can endure the attack (for example the dwarf gets +2 shields when he rests) or forcing the enemy to retreat before the engaged hero takes his action.

On the other hand, if an enemy has fairly harmless attack value but a really bad activation, you have to handle it differently, perhaps by exhausting it or killing it before the enemy activation. For example, there are archer enemies who retreat as their activation and then inflict damage. With these enemies, you never have to roll the black die if you don't want to (since they will often be in the shadows) but they will still be a nuisance unless you kill or exhaust them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorenthion wrote:
Rykaar wrote:

This part is incorrect. Enemies only deal damage if they have the Inflict keyword on their effect bar.

And only if they are readied. Exhausted enemies do nothing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Each character gets one action. But part of every action is rolling black dice if you're engaged, which could result in getting wounded for the full attack value of a creature you're engaged with.

Also if an effect gas made an enemy exhaust, when making a roll for an action you do not add a black die if the enemy is exhausted.... Only if it's ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne LaBanca wrote:
Monster phase is after hero activation phase so they get the attack once, after all heroes have activated.

So it would be (for a 4 hero game) hero > hero > hero > hero > monster > location >...repeat

Right, but each "hero" above is just one action for that hero, right? So when you get to "repeat" they have three unexhausted actions remaining. Ostensibly there could be multiple monster actions before the character gets to attack again. A monster with inflict is going to be ferocious indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to give the impression that I'm not interested in the game. I am. Very. On a cold reading of the rules, this just seemed horribly abusive to the players, but I like the idea that the players need to come up with alternatives to "stand and deliver" if they want to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye. They did say it wasn't easy.
I guess if you played really inefficiently you could attack every other turn using refresh but I bet that won't go well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Flander
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then you have the way watcher who's attack does not exhaust but only rolls 1 die. This game is oozing with strategic decisions. So far I am really enjoying all of the mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.