JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to play Mega Civ, but I picked up a copy at BGG.Con and I've got 15 brave friends and a full Sunday scheduled for playing.

Any suggestions on how to approach logistics for the first game? Table setup, creating space for players, physically setting up the space for the game?

Also, any suggestions on how to prepare players for the game? Should we run through the first game together as 16ish players? And are there any supplemental documents from BGG that I should print out and provide to my players?

Thanks for helping a noob - I'm SO excited to play this!

(btw, I'm in Fort Worth, TX for anybody near that wants to come by and say hi - we're playing on December 20th)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can help out here.

First, play 'The first game' with 5 players only. This is designed for noobs.
Now those players understand the basics of the game.

Next, have the game-master (you) read the manual. There are some changes between 'the first game' and the full game. Also examine the setup of a game for 15 players, and for 14 players in case a player doesn't show up.

As your game-day starts, take some time to explain the main basics to all players (takes 30 minutes at most). Pick out some advances to explain them. (Metalworking, Cloth Making, Monotheism, Cartography)

Now you can play the full game, which takes 12 hours. Regard some extra time for any (lunch / diner) breaks.

When it comes to tables...
Use a large table (or 2 together) that leaves some room around the board, because players will need this to place their player mat and cards.

I don't always use 18 chairs when playing 18 players. 5-10 chairs is enough. Players will walk around a lot!

If you have room, some extra chairs or couch will come out handy to sit when not playing.

You need an additional table to place the Advances, the Census track, the AST and the trade cards. You don't need them all the time, but you will find your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Flo! I think you and John have done a terrific job with this game.

I've played Advanced Civ before, as have about half of the folks playing, so I'll probably handicap for the people who have never played it (or any other Civ game) before. I saw some suggestions about providing Advancement discount tokens - any suggestions there?

Also, my wife asked me if player elimination was possible in the game. I'm fairly certain it is, as a group of civs could gang up on one person and eliminate their tokens - is this something that happens often in large games? It seems almost inevitable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, player elimination is impossible. don't worry.

If you like to team up with 5 players to eliminate a player from a 12-hour game, then don't start it in the first place, and go play a wargame instead.

There are several balancers that make sure a player stays in.

During demonstrations most players will attack me, but I have never went down to less than 1 city and 9 pop, and still ended up 3rd place in an 8 player game. But of course I had some skills here...

The game includes credit tokens. If you purchase a card, you get these tokens, to show how many credits you have to a single color. As this takes away counting up every turn, it speeds up the game a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brudz
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
As a long time Advanced Civilization player I don't think you need to run through the "first game" scenario to teach. This is how I teach Advanced Civ and will be teaching Mega Civ to new players.

Run through the turn phase order. Focus on how to expand population efficiently, city building/maintenance and trading. This is the core of the game. The players goal should be to maintain 5-8 cities.

Conflict should de-emphasized. If your players are already familiar with Small World then they already know how it works. It is usually better to negotiate than to waste your tokens in conflict. This also has the added effect of speeding up the game with simultaneous movement. If conflict is unavoidable they should attack cities only if they move after their target player otherwise they should conflict over land.

Explain how trade set scoring works and give an example of a legal and illegal trade declaration. Give a generous amount of time to trade early on and tighten the time limit up as players get familiar with how trading works. Have some sort of timer on hand to manage trade sessions!

Give them the reference for the calamities so they know which piles they are in and which ones are trade able. Don't spend too much time on how they are each resolved. They just need to know how to avoid bad stuff (trade it or plan for it via advancements). As you go let the players know how close they are to running through trade decks so you can help them to be alert to when calamities may be coming out.

Don't spend too much time going over every advance. Show them the preset civ paths to give them some early ideas. But let them learn as they go. You should point out advancements that reduce the effects of calamities that might be coming up in trade stacks. Also make sure they are aware of which advances give them efficient ways to keep moving along the AST.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
. . . then came the king's son, wounded, sore bestead, and weaponless, and saw the broken sword, hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand, and ran and snatched it, and with battle shout lifted afresh, he hewed his enemy down . . .
badge
A spicebush swallowtail caterpillar that was roaming my neighborhood.
mbmbmbmbmb
This document I created may be helpful for new players in sifting through the 51 civilization advances to find those which are of immediate use: Civilization Advance Chooser.

And I'm thinking of using name tags for everyone, complete with their civilization name and AST number. (It'd be cool if someone were to create a sheet of 18 name tags, including the Token image and the correct colors for each . . . and even their starting position on a mini-map!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.