Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Rogers
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
Axis Turn - December 1940

Weather – Snow

Strategic Warfare Phase. Germany sends 1YPP and 1BPP to Finland via the Baltic. [I decided that PP to Finland should be done in this manner as the Soviets could, in the future, try to stop the activity and thus it wouldn’t be an automatic transfer in the Production Phase.]

Italy sends 3YPP, 2BPP, and 1 oil to AFRIKA.

Supply: Italian infantry units in AFRIKA SE of Mersa Matruh are OOS due to the Desert Rats.

Production: Germany produces 1BB step (Yellow), 3 HQ steps, 2 bomber steps, 2 fighter steps, 1 airborne step, 4 mountain infantry steps, 7 infantry steps, 3 motorized infantry steps (1 RPP included), 8 artillery steps. Germany continues the construction of 3 factories and starts the construction of a synthetic oil factory. Germany gives Italy 2YPP and 1 oil. Germany gives Spain 2 oil. Germany gives Bulgaria 1 oil and 1YPP. Germany saves 22YPP, 11 oil, 5WPP, 5RPP, 1BPP.

Italy produces 2 HQ steps, 2 infantry steps. Italy saves 5YPP, 2RPP, 1BPP. Italy’s AFRIKA depot produces 1 armor step and 1 fighter step (white) and 1 bomber step. AFRIKA depot saves 5YPP, 2RPP, 3BPP.

Spain produces 1 HQ step. Bulgaria produces 1 HQ step. Romania produces 3 infantry steps. Hungary produces 1 infantry step.

And here are the Romanians...

Strategic Rail Phase: Doenitz activates. FHQ activates. FHQ strat rails the artillery unit in Greece to Lublin. Germany SRs an armor unit from France to Lodz. Germany SRs a German infantry unit from Zenica to Warsaw. Germany SRs one infantry unit from Greece to Iasi to build up the Romanian border. Germany SRs the armor HQ in Thessaloniki to Lublin.

Mussolini activates. The Italian Naval HQ activates. Mussolini SRs the motorized infantry unit in Torino to Genoa.

Bulgaria SRs a Bulgarian infantry unit from Plovdiv to Zenica (to replace the German infantry unit).

Movement: German fleets reposition. Three 5 step OSS in the Atlantic. 2BB, 2CA, 4DD in the NA box. 2CA, 4DD in the SA box.

German 2 step bomber in Spain rebases to Paris after its successful participation in the storming of Gibraltar.

German 5 step bomber rebases from Nis to Heraklion. German 3 step fighter rebases from Athens to Xavia. Crete is getting crowded!!!

German forces within Germany slowly move eastward.

Spanish infantry moves into Rabat.

Mussolini puts one OOS Italian infantry in AFRIKA into supply and moves it to Mersa Matruh. The other OOS Italian infantry moves westward (SE of Mersa Matruh).

Mussolini declares a Sea Transport. Italian 3 step motorized infantry heads from Genoa to Tobruk – accompanied by a 2BB, 1CA, 2DD Italian fleet in the Med.

Italian fleets reposition. 2CS, 3CS into the Med. The fleets in the West Med Convoy Box (fueled by Hitler) and the East Med. Convoy box stay. Italy’s 5 step OSS stays in the Atlantic.

Combat: Italy’s sea transport is successful and the mot. Inf. unit lands in Tobruk.

Final Supply Phase. Both Italian infantry units in AFRIKA are back in supply – ready to fight again.

A.O.I. Italian unit loses a step and disappears. One of the few UK victories of note lately…

--------------------------------------------------------------

Allied Turn – December 1940

Weather – Snow.

Strategic Warfare Phase. German 5 step OSS, 5 step OSS reacts into the NA box. German 5 step OSS and Italian 5 step OSS reacts into the SA box. Italian 2CS and 3CS react into the East Med (Cyprus) box. UK CV reacts into the Central America box.

Combat in the NA box. German BB hit (UK DD loss), German CA hit (UK DD loss), German submarines get 3 hits (UK BB is destroyed). There are no UK hits. 4YPP and 1 oil is lost. German fleet retreats into the Atlantic. UK fleet retreats except for 2DD.

Combat in the SA box. UK BB hit (German OSS loss – shielded), German CA hit (UK DD loss), German DD hit (UK DD loss), UK DD hit (Italian OSS loss – shielded). No retreats by either side as everyone knows what is happening next. 1YPP and 2 oil lost.

The UK attempts to send finished goods to AFRIKA. 8YPP, 2BPP, 3RPP, 2 Oil.

Combat again in the SA box. [Note – I am viewing this as continued combat so the shielded hits on the German and Italian subs are still there. Otherwise, this situation favors the Axis too much in a solo game as I know what is taking place for both sides] UK CV with 2 air reacts into the SA box. This is a serious situation. UK Air hit (German OSS loss), UK air loss, UK DD get 2 hits (Italian OSS loss, German DD loss), German DD hit (UK DD loss), German OSS hit (UK CV hit). YPP and BPP are sunk. The German fleet retreats. The UK fleet except for the damaged CV retreats. The UK now has 4YPP, 2WPP, 2BPP saved at home.

Production: UK produces 3 HQ steps, 3 DD steps, 2 fighter steps, 2 bomber steps, 1 CV air step. UK saves 2 YPP, 1WPP, 1RPP. UK AFRIKA depot produces 1 HQ (Air) step.

Soviet Union produces 7 infantry steps (replacement units from the disbanding process during the Finland debacle), 2 fighter steps, 2 armor steps.

Strategic Rail Phase: Churchill activates. Both UK Naval HQ activate.

Movement: Churchill declares a Sea Transport. The Indian infantry unit in A.O.I. heads to Suez accompanied by 1DD.

Churchill fuels the Desert Rats which moves into attack mode against the lone Italian infantry unit SE of Mersa Matruh. The UK naval infantry moves in to assist the attack. UK Air HQ in AFRIKA activates. Air Recon into battle hex is successful after the second attempt. UK 5 step fighter and 3 step bomber in AFRIKA move into the battle hex.

UK fleets reposition. Churchill fuels a fleet to assist. 1CA in the U.S. box. 1DD in the NA box. 1CA, 2DD, 2DD, 3DD in the CA box. 2CA, 1DD, 3DD, 4DD in the SA box. 0BB, 0BB, 1BB, 1CA in the Atlantic. 0CV, and 3 CV (with 6 air) in the Atlantic. 1CS, CV (1 air) in the Med. 1DD in the Indian Ocean supports the Sea Transport. 0BB moves from the Atlantic into the Indian Ocean. [The UK cannot afford the losses which it took last turn if it does not inflict some damage. The UK lost 5YPP in Convoy losses as well as the shipping. It would be better to lose all of the NA box YPP then to suffer that again. The UK will see how the Germans react to the new configuration. The NA box and the U.S. box are ripe for the picking but there is a limit to how many fleets the German Navy can have in convoy boxes after the Movement phase unless FHQ assists. Will the Germans throw in a 5 step OSS to deal with 1DD in the NA Convoy box? Will the Germans use capital ships? Will they do nothing???

Soviet forces move internally inside the Soviet Union (unless frozen in the occupied areas).

Defender Reaction: Italian Air HQ in AFRIKA activates. (As I’m writing this, I’m not sure if the Italian AIR HQ can be in AFRIKA without losing a step every turn in the Final Supply Phase – unless it is already at cadre level. I may have to do some reconfiguring there.) Italian fighter heads out from Tobruk to battle the UK air near Mersa Matruh. Good luck against the 5 step enemy air unit!

Combat in the Desert. UK 3 step armor, UK 2 step naval infantry, UK 5 step fighter, UK 3 step bomber vs. 3 step Italian infantry and 3 step Italian fighter. UK air gets a hit. Italian fighter does not and decides to retreat. Italian AA gets a hit on the UK fighter. UK bomber succeeds in getting 2 hits (lucky shot!). The one remaining Italian infantry step gets a hit against the Desert Rats (but shielded). The Desert Rats strike back and get two hits. The Italian unit disappears.

The UK Sea Transport is successful and the Indian infantry unit lands in Suez. It is time for some desert action!!!

Blitz Phase. The UK Desert Rats now move into Mersa Matruh. Combat ensues. UK 3 step armor vs. Italian 2 step armor and 2 step infantry. First round of combat – Italian armor gets a hit (shielded by the Desert Rats). Italian infantry do not get a hit. The UK armor does not get a hit. The Desert Rats know when a good thing is done and retreats eastward into the area west of El Alamein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I glean yet another fine idea from you, not losing hits that are shielded in combat that goes on in the same box over time... that would help me sort the solo dilemma out some.

Will Gibraltar's fall doom the British in the Med? Can Torch happen without Gibraltar in Allied hands?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
preston smith
United States
Russellville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gregs Med campaign has become very interesting. I'am also awaiting your's and Greg's campaign in Russia. To see what I could have done better.whistle

And again you guys are playing with the Naval rules....that bring's alot of tactical decisions by it's self, on how it affects your campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I am just finishing off the Victory in the West scenario (BitW) with my regular ftf opponent. If he has enjoyed it (he seems to have) I am going to get BiA for the naval stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

I am just finishing off the Victory in the West scenario (BitW) with my regular ftf opponent. If he has enjoyed it (he seems to have) I am going to get BiA for the naval stuff.

The naval rules are written for the full campaign only, which also requires Blocks in the East - do you have that? BiA has some naval combat scenarios, but naval only, no connection to the land campaign. VN games is having a pretty serious Black Friday sale today, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
razorbacjac wrote:
Gregs Med campaign has become very interesting. I'am also awaiting your's and Greg's campaign in Russia. To see what I could have done better.whistle

And again you guys are playing with the Naval rules....that bring's alot of tactical decisions by it's self, on how it affects your campaigns.

I am currently studying the map of Russia as I prepare to do all of Russia's production at one time. I know I wouldn't get away with that against a person, but I'm considering it a study of how to defend Russia for future use.

I hope to identify rail hubs that can be adequately defended once the Axis breakthrough starts. I'm also thinking I will spend YPP in a way that helps me shield as many armor units and HQ from early encirclement as possible. If I can set the Russians up to be able to save most of their armor, I hope to be able to mount an effective defense until winter arrives.

In my BitE game a couple years back the frontline Russian units were only relevant as obstacles the Germans had to stop in. It barely mattered if they were 1-step or 4-step, the Axis surprise bonus along with Panzers attack (optional rule) makes the early German offensive irresistible. IIRC the military districts force most units to set up within 2 hexes of the border. This means that Russia can't very often, on the first turn, prevent exploiting armor spearheads from killing more Red Army units.

So many units will die, but can Russia limit the numbers of their troops who surrender? And if so, how? Off the top of my head I think there are some areas of the front line that are doomed to encirclement, so putting any PP into their defense is a waste of time. How well I will be able to identify those areas remains to be seen.

Another thing I am considering is not spending the entire Soviet PP pool right away. There will be many blocks available to be rebuilt in July. Having a manpower reserve may turn out to be very helpful.

We will see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Rogers
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
Good luck! I think that your strategy is sound. The only area where I would even think about reinforcing the Soviet units close to the border would be in the south by Kiev in order to muddy things up a bit there. The Germans can get bottlenecked there rather quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.