17 Posts

Burgle Bros.» Forums » General

Subject: This Game is Hard! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
m h
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I really love this game. Lots of strategy involved for a game that is easy to pick up and the art is cool.

I've played the game about 5 times so far with 3-4 players following the correct rules and we seem to lose everytime.
Lots of bad luck in our last game, had a Patrol just sitting on the entrance stairs to the second level, also had someone take a 2 stealth hit from the first floor by a guard on the 2nd floor moving through the atrium twice in one go.

0-5 so far. What are your guys win/loss ratios for this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I have won around 55-65% of our games, but they are largely 2 player, which I believe makes the game a bit easier. I think the ratio would actually be higher if we always played the specified scenarios, but we've been putting custom wall designs down for some time now looking to increase the challenge for the two of us.

One suggestion if you aren't doing it already - be sure to spread the characters across the floors as quickly as possible...we make finding the stairs the top priority.

Second suggestion - don't sit on high traffic areas...after you've played a few times, you start to recognize tiles the guard is more likely to cross more often. Also use the fact that the guard will always move CW if tied in distance as part of your deliberations where to stop.

Third suggestion - setting alarms off deliberately CAN be a good thing...but do it carefully

We really enjoy it and have played it over 20 times so far (including the pnp copy I made).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be hard and of course how the cards come out and tiles go down can make or break any game.

We've been using the event deck more and more.
Used to be 'afraid' of it, but now if we look to be hosed, we figure it can't hurt to try our luck. Sure a few times it was more bad news, but an extra stealth token can make or break a game.

I also think it helps to have your hacker be the first player. Let him run around exposing tiles quickly so you can put a plan of attack together.

For some reason we've only set off one alarm in all our games and haven't had a situation come up where setting off an alarm on purpose got us out of a bind.

Seems to me some of the players special abilities may be better than others.

I've taught this to 4 different groups (all loved it) and we've won about half the time but they've all been 4 player (one time 5 player) and all pretty much newbies cept me and I don't like to alpha game so I let them make less optimal moves on occasion so they learn on their own vs me telling them what to do.

I'd like to think our win ratio will improve overtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my brief experience (3-4 games) I think there is a tendency to want to rush thing, but sometimes your best move is to sit tight and wait for opportunities. It can take a while to run down the patrol deck, especially in the first half of the game, so you can afford to be extra careful. Save the risky moves for the desperate lunge for victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're around 50% where the wins are usually close. some of the loses are brutal which is to be expected with a game soooo random. We've had a hallway with 2 deadbolts that basically ended the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
The acrobat carefully sneaks by the guard thereby showing off his hiding prowess within inches of the guard then moves into a new unseen tile, which is a foyer. Loses a stealth token, this was his first turn. Last turn, he moves down into the lower level to make the guard on the second floor not move to save his cohorts at the safe. One space away from the guard, on the stairs, the guard is going to move away, draw an event card. Squeak, guard moves one space towards character, ends the game.

Way easier with two than with four but so much fun either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Douglas
msg tools
[q="sdiberar"]In my brief experience (3-4 games) I think there is a tendency to want to rush thing, but sometimes your best move is to sit tight and wait for opportunities.

I've played this game 6 times, the first time with 5 players and other than that with 2 or 3. I have won 3 times. I think patience can hurt you because the guards start to move quickly. Sometimes you need to wait and sometimes you need to just go for it. That's what is great about this game, is the successfull strategy is key. But yes, this game is hard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
badge
I have Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
My best combo is usually the Hawk and the Hacker. I manage to win about 50% of the time. The Hacker for obvious reasons. The Hawk for her ability to peek round adjacent corners for free.

(Using the PnP, my win ratio was about 80%... but that was because I was setting up the guards wrongly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baxter Johnson
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, this is a Hard game. From my experience (1-4 player, 3-3 player, 4-2 player, and 5-1 player games) as you get more players the W-L ratio goes way down. You almost have to stack the deck in which character cards are used.

I found in a 3 or 4 player game, you need the Mastermind to help move people around, or quickly separate the group between floors. This game stands on the razor's edge weather you win or lose. I love the tension this game provides, but can only take it in small chunks.

I compare it to Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert. There are numerous similarities here and are great intros to this game. I like to think of Burgle Bros as "Hard Mode" to the Forbidden games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thorp
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BaxterJTR wrote:

I compare it to Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert. There are numerous similarities here and are great intros to this game. I like to think of Burgle Bros as "Hard Mode" to the Forbidden games.

Seriously? Admittedly, I've only played 1 game of Burgle Bros so far, and it was 3 players on the Office Job, but it seemed a lot easier than Forbidden Desert? You only really have 1 way to lose (compared to multiple ways in FD), and whilst the guards are random, they're a little less random than the storm in FD. Certainly the feeling of impending doom was less for us on FD - mind you the impending doom on FD starts soon after the first turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joelseph
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
Check your pockets.
badge
Greatest healer.
mbmbmbmbmb
BaxterJTR wrote:

I believe Tim thanks Matt in the rulebook for being the inspiration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played twice, both with three players. The first time was the Bank Job, and we just barely lost when our safecracker with no Stealth left and a clear run to the exit stairs popped open the last safe to find a Cursed Goblet that costs you a Stealth token immediately. The second time was the Office Job, and we did much worse, never even cracking the second safe before we got nabbed. Given how the guards move, it definitely seems like more players makes the game harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 4, maybe 5, solo games (all simulating 4 player) and 2 actual 4 player games. Finally won the first time last night (solo) and today (solo fort knox).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
...we just barely lost when our safecracker with no Stealth left ... popped open the last safe to find a Cursed Goblet that costs you a Stealth token immediately.

In that case, congrats - you won! Tim has pointed out in another thread that finding the Cursed Goblet costs you a Stealth token only if you have one. If you have none, you don't lose; there is basically no effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tron

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HARD but fun!
Shortest game ever I had was two turns. LOL
The foyer and an alarm were involved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Brehm
msg tools
mbmb
I'll have to re read the rules, because I've found the game rather easy.

We shamelessly alarm bait the guards though, and work all three floors simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bishop
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Random is the right word. Kind of thwarts any real strategy when it comes to moving and anticipating guard moves. Plus the loot only makes you weaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.