Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
If you are reading this, chances are you know the drill: Roll your dice, spell your words, count your points. My wife and I inadvertently modified the rules and came up with something we really like as a short filler.

My wife recognized this game from her childhood and picked a copy up at Goodwill. All the dice were included, but the timer was broken, so we had to guess at the length of each player's round. We first tried one minute, which was way too short to get all the obvious words formed and blurted out. We upped the amount of time to two minutes and really enjoyed this amount of play time. We have enough time to get most everything that is easy, and a bit of time to ponder longer words. Most of our games are completed by the third or fourth round (we let both players finish the round to see who wins). With two minute rounds, the game plays in about 15 minutes.

After finding the Perquackey entry on the Geek, I saw that the intended time for each player was 3 minutes. We don't think that the extra minute adds significantly more words, and just makes the game drag. Tacking on an additional 8 minutes to a 15-minute game seems a poor trade-off for the few longer words it might add.

I like having a game that is so short and requires no setup. The luck of the roll can decide the winner, but the play is so short that you can just have another go if you got stymied the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Our 1956 Perquackey was missing its timer as well, so we used one we had lying around...with the strange duration of 2:20. This speedier version ramps up the urgency greatly. Don't forget you must actually arrange the dice into words, no doing it just in your head. So there's a dexterity element as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.