Subject: Gondor Trait Support rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Phelps

Mount Washington
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope that the Gondor trait gets alot of love in the new "Flame of the West" saga expansion. I feel like it is pretty much impossible at this point to make a viable Gondor deck.

It seems that Gondor cards are released sporadically and are relatively under-powered when compared to some other traits (the new powerful Ent cards come to mind). Also there doesn't seem to be much synergy between them. Some cards are all about defense (Behind Strong Walls, Defender of Rammas, Gondorian Shield) some cards flirt with the threat mechanic (Tactics Boromir, Valour cards etc...), others like the Gondor Ranger cards play around with enemy engagement shenanigans and traps. Not to mention that the Outlands cards don't have the Gondor trait at all!

I hope Matt and Caleb figure out a way to tie the Gondor cards together with an overall theme like they found with the Noldor trait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gondor is really good. Try going mono Leadership and focusing on getting lots of cheap Gondor allies out. Then all these small guys are going to get the attack bonus from Leadership hero Boromir, can get a willpower boost from Visionary Leadership, and can get another attack bonus from a For Gondor! You can even run Leadership Aragorn hero, and play the Sword That Was Broken to give everyone another willpower boost as well, and ally Faramir to boost everyone again by one. All of a sudden you're playing out tons of dudes for 2 cost that are all questing for 3+ each or attacking for 3+ each (or BOTH with a Stength of Arms)! It can get crazy.

Leadership works well like this as there are a lot of different ways to create a solid resource engine to pay for all of this, but you also get access to cards like A Very Good Tales to super accelerate your ally plays.

It's really fun.

Boromir and Visionary Leadership also work across the whole table, so for double fun, you can have a teammate also build a full Gondor deck and you both can get these super bonuses going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I've had a lot of fun running a mono leadership Boromir / Visionary Leadership / Gondor ally spamming deck. It's certainly not as powerful or solo-able as other traits but I don't think it's fair to say that's impossible to make a viable deck that's Gondor based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Like the others said: lot's of small guys in mono-leadership is what Gondor's all about right now and it seems to work fairly well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to bend the theme a little bit, I've had a lot of success with a Boromir/Imrahil/Erestor deck. It gets all the resources and ally buffs of Gondor leadership, combined with the insane card draw of Erestor. With Steward and Visionary Leadership on Boromir, you can easy drop in 2 or 3 Gondor weenies every turn for ridiculous willpower, attack power, and unlimited chump blocking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esteban hoogma
Chile
flag msg tools
I've been playing with the mono-Leadership Gondor deck in solo for quite a while, and I can confirm what others have said. I'ts very powerful, and don't think that it only plays small allies. With Ingold and Veteran of Osgiliath, you can still have a couple very strong "tank" allies apart from the army of Guards and Envoys. Also, they announced a new Leadership Weapon in the last pack that will help Gondor and Dúnedain, so I think Gondor is a more or less well-developed acrchetype. You just have to find the right deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
If you want to bend the theme a little bit, I've had a lot of success with a Boromir/Imrahil/Erestor deck. It gets all the resources and ally buffs of Gondor leadership, combined with the insane card draw of Erestor. With Steward and Visionary Leadership on Boromir, you can easy drop in 2 or 3 Gondor weenies every turn for ridiculous willpower, attack power, and unlimited chump blocking.
Theme aside - do these Gondor ally-spam decks play out any differently than an Outlands deck which is also based around dropping as many allies into play as possible, with stat boosts? Are there any specific cards that give the Gondor deck a distinct feel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:
Theme aside - do these Gondor ally-spam decks play out any differently than an Outlands deck which is also based around dropping as many allies into play as possible, with stat boosts? Are there any specific cards that give the Gondor deck a distinct feel?

I suppose they are similar from the perspective that they are built around having lots of allies, but beyond that I think the decks play very differently. Outlands is all about keeping allies alive and doesn't function well unless you have 5+ allies out. Gondor doesn't really rely on the allies themselves, so they can afford to chump block and take advantage of cards like Imrahil and Valiant Sacrifice. They also have several allies that are strong on their own like Faramir, Veterans of Osgiliath, Ingold, and Denethor.

I don't know how else to describe it. I just know that playing Gondor is a lot of fun while playing Outlands is boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the potential for Mutual Accord to be fun with another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
There's also the potential for Mutual Accord to be fun with another player.

Since Rohan has been fleshed out with the new Théoden, Snowmane and Gamling, Mutual Accord is even more amazing.

If you have Boromir + Visionnary Leadership on the table, play an For Gondor!, Astonishing Speed or Forth Eorlingas, and a Mutual Accord it becomes insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.