T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: Multiple sittings? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam C
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How viable would this be to be played in multiple sittings? We meet once a week before work and have ~1 hour before we have to go off to meetings, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Castejon
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We played all in one sitting, but there is a dedicated space on the box to "save" the game status, so it is designed to be played in multiple sittings.
I recommend you to take notes, so you won't forget anything important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Definitely take notes. There is a bad thing that we did two times because we didn't take notes the first time around and had forgotten by the next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think the game is best when you go through the entire scenario in a single go (ignoring the TU). However, that will easily run you 3+ hours as players share what they see, discuss what to do next, and work on a plan to go with.

After that, splitting it into single Runs (using the provided TU limits) would be quite good, as that will give you the ~1 hour play time and giving you a fair bit to explore with the game. I would encourage you to go the exploration route with this, however, as retreading your steps prior to the final run (probably the 4th run unless you line everything up pretty quick) can definitely ruin the game. Definitely take lots of notes if you go this route, however, as not only will you have to contend with everything being hidden again, you'll also have to deal with forgetting things since your last play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can certainly play a scenario over multiple sittings. Some items/knowledge will carry over from one game to the next, and you can save mid-game as well.

Regarding notes, it's a matter of personal taste. It will certainly make future runs easier, but also potentially less frustrating. Thematically, you probably shouldn't take notes, but it won't break anything gameplay wise if you do.

The suggested hourerule about completely ignoring TU and playing it in a single run will completely change the game. It would be the equivalent of playing Agricola without having to feed your workers. Once again, nothing stopping you from playing it this way, but it totally changes the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Magius wrote:
Personally, I think the game is best when you go through the entire scenario in a single go (ignoring the TU). However, that will easily run you 3+ hours as players share what they see, discuss what to do next, and work on a plan to go with.

After that, splitting it into single Runs (using the provided TU limits) would be quite good, as that will give you the ~1 hour play time and giving you a fair bit to explore with the game. I would encourage you to go the exploration route with this, however, as retreading your steps prior to the final run (probably the 4th run unless you line everything up pretty quick) can definitely ruin the game. Definitely take lots of notes if you go this route, however, as not only will you have to contend with everything being hidden again, you'll also have to deal with forgetting things since your last play.

I would argue against the single-go-ignoring-TU option because I think it messes up the gameplay. The TU limit and repeated runs are part of the proper functioning of this game:

Asylum spoilers:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are at least two locations in Asylum that can close to you for the rest of the run, and one of them has a Very Important Clue: if you ignore TU you can find yourself without the proper information.

Marcy Case spoilers:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
And in Marcy Case, the WHOLE POINT is learning each run what you need to do in order to optimize for "the perfect run". Plus, there are irrevocable actions within a run: if you don't know where the antidote is and Marcy dies then you're hosed.

I think that a single run per week (combined with taking notes) is a great idea if you are time-limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very viable to play in multiple sessions, and, with your time limit of one hour, the game also allows you to save its mid-game status.

Depending on your collective memory, you might want to consider keeping notes to help you bridge the gap between sessions; personally, my group completed Asylum in two sessions (2 runs and 1 run) with a week between them without the aid of any notes, for The Marcy Case over the same time we made three, all number/letter sequences which would have been difficult to recall.

Ignore the suggestion to ignore the TU constriction, this is the essence of the game, the pressure to explore and make decisions against a ticking clock. If, having completed the case you decide you'd rather amble through at your leisure, then go ahead and house rule it, at least give the designers credit and follow their rules first.

The problem I suspect you might have is that you will want to keep pushing to finish a run, you'd better have your excuses ready for why you are late to your meeting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, ignore the suggestion to do away with the TU restrictions. They bring a feeling of urgency and breaks the game up into clear chapters, where you can pick the game up again for the next session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.