Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
If the USA is not At War, it looks like Japan can prevent Lend-Lease to China by controlling SE Asia and Singapore. I don't see any way to base the LL unit in the Bay of Bengal under these circumstances. Is that correct?

Also, I find it a bit surprising that Belgium/Netherlands neutrality would block movement from the South China Sea into the Timor Sea, but the map notation seems pretty clear about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
If the USA is not At War, it looks like Japan can prevent Lend-Lease to China by controlling SE Asia and Singapore. I don't see any way to base the LL unit in the Bay of Bengal under these circumstances. Is that correct?

Also, I find it a bit surprising that Belgium/Netherlands neutrality would block movement from the South China Sea into the Timor Sea, but the map notation seems pretty clear about that.

Hi Drake,

Good questions. Let me step through this one bit at a time to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

Firstly, while neutral, the USA would not have much trouble moving its Bay of Bengall LL unit from Manila to the Bay of Bengal.

Section 7.4, Lend Lease, gives very specific rules about this special LL unit:

"One of the USA’s LL units (“Bay of Bengal”) provides lend lease to China. This LL allows (and may require) the USA to spend an extra Resource building Chinese units. The supply route traced from the LL must make landfall in Burma, and must pass through the Burma Road into Chungking in order for the lend lease to arrive successfully. A Resource delivered in this fashion may only be spent on building or repairing a Chinese unit (see 7.8), not on any other USA-controlled unit, nor may it be spent on Researching Weapons. Only one Resource per Turn (and no Oil) maximum may be lend leased to China, and it must be delivered this way."

So as long as the above is satisfied, and the usual other lend lease rules as noted in 7.4 are satisfied too, then the lend lease would get through.

Control of Singapore and South-East Asia would affect AFA and USA land unit moves and attacks (see 5.2 and 5.3), but that is different than the LL rule.

Cheers,
Dave L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveLeLacheur wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:

Hi Drake,

Good questions. Let me step through this one bit at a time to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

Firstly, while neutral, the USA would not have much trouble moving its Bay of Bengall LL unit from Manila to the Bay of Bengal.

Section 7.4, Lend Lease, gives very specific rules about this special LL unit:

"One of the USA’s LL units (“Bay of Bengal”) provides lend lease to China. This LL allows (and may require) the USA to spend an extra Resource building Chinese units. The supply route traced from the LL must make landfall in Burma, and must pass through the Burma Road into Chungking in order for the lend lease to arrive successfully. A Resource delivered in this fashion may only be spent on building or repairing a Chinese unit (see 7.8), not on any other USA-controlled unit, nor may it be spent on Researching Weapons. Only one Resource per Turn (and no Oil) maximum may be lend leased to China, and it must be delivered this way."

So as long as the above is satisfied, and the usual other lend lease rules as noted in 7.4 are satisfied too, then the lend lease would get through.

Control of Singapore and South-East Asia would affect AFA and USA land unit moves and attacks (see 5.2 and 5.3), but that is different than the LL rule.

Cheers,
Dave L.

Hmmm, but once Singapore / SE Asia is Japanese controlled, wouldn't the LL unit (in the Bay of Bengal) be forced to disband due to being out of range of any friendly base (section 4.1, first paragraph)? Once USA was at war, there wouldn't be a problem as there are plenty of AFA ports in range, but the only USA ports are in the Philippines and that is out of range once the Bay-of-Bengal / South-China-Sea connection is cut.

Or am I completely confused?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Hmmm, but once Singapore / SE Asia is Japanese controlled, wouldn't the LL unit (in the Bay of Bengal) be forced to disband due to being out of range of any friendly base (section 4.1, first paragraph)? Once USA was at war, there wouldn't be a problem as there are plenty of AFA ports in range, but the only USA ports are in the Philippines and that is out of range once the Bay-of-Bengal / South-China-Sea connection is cut.

Or am I completely confused?

Oh I see, I misunderstood your line of inquiry. (To others: what I wrote above still applies too.)

You are quite correct that the US Bay of Bengal LL unit, if at sea, could potentially find that it is unable to return to any base (per 4.1) if the Allies lose the Bay of Bengal / South China Sea movement ability, as noted on the map, by Japan taking Singapore and also controlling South-East Asia.

Thanks for clarifying your question.

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.