Orléans» Forums » General

Subject: Deluxe version worth twice the cost? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed the Kickstarter, and have been waiting to pick up the deluxe version on the secondary market. I'm eyeing the deluxe version because I appreciate blinged out games, and I tend to keep my games rather than trading them away.

However, while reading the posts, there seems to a fair bit of talk about stickers, wear on the wooden components after a few games, less vibrant board coloring, etc. The talk is giving me pause...

Is the deluxe version worth the twice the price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
As an owner looking to sell, absolutely. As an unbiased observer, no, not really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a game you plan on keeping in your collection and enjoying for years to come, then the Deluxe is worth it. I think it was worth every penny. I am in the same boat of enjoying my games being blinged out. I think those that buy the regular edition will be very pleased with the quality of production but if you are even slightly considering the Deluxe and can get your hands on it, I would. Otherwise it might always be nagging you why you didn't grab it and settled for the regular for merely $30 more bucks.

Most of the complaints I am seeing are minor quibbles and for me none of them are are worth complaining about.

The deluxe shaped pieces can't be randomized (use the cardboard ones if you want), they don't have stickers (so what?), the gears and patrons don't have stickers (oh well), the stickers will wear out (don't use them?). The "issues" are pretty petty IMO. Plus all the the stuff that is in the regular version comes in the Deluxe version so you can always substitute out what you don't like in the Deluxe.

Just my 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rouslan S
United States
Annandale
VA
flag msg tools
I decided not, bought regular version, and for saved $$$ ordered promo tiles and fan upgrade kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you desire perfection, then no, the deluxe is not perfect. But it is better and nicer, especially with the metal coins. It's also easier to tell what opponents are assigning their followers to with wooden discs than the thin cardboard ones.

Whether it's worth it for you depends on how much you care about the tactile aspect of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody, perhaps Rahdo, mentioned the deluxe addition didn't work well with the Invasion expansion's prosperity scenario -- something about not being able to flip cards face-down to hide information.

Perhaps somebody more familiar with both products can elaborate. I just made a passing note of the commentary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rouslan wrote:
I decided not, bought regular version, and for saved $$$ ordered promo tiles and fan upgrade kit.

I am in this boat. In effect, I got the Invasion expansion for free
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rouslan S
United States
Annandale
VA
flag msg tools
Carthage wrote:
Otherwise it might always be nagging you why you didn't grab it and settled for the regular for merely $30 more bucks.

More like $60 more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Nah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the opinions, everyone!

I've decided that I am totally jealous of folks with the deluxe version. If the kickstarter were running today, I'd totally back it.

But, the fact is that I missed it and now the game is going for around $130 on eBay, while Amazon had a standard edition from CSI for $46 shipped.

If most everyone was just heads over heals in love with the deluxe version, I'd spring for the extra $85. But the reports I'm seeing make me think that I'd be happier with the standard version and spending the extra cash on a couple other games.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
For either version, go look at the 'sticker wear' threads. BL: spray a protector coating if you want your games to stay new looking - it is the new 'card sleeve'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deluxe version is only necessary for the 5th player.

The wooden resource tokens actually make setup more difficult.

And the stickers for the wooden discs show wear really quickly.

And the citizens and tech wheels wooden without graphics look really plain.

The metal coins are awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Graffious
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the coins are indeed awesome, on par with Tuscany, but even though the goods look nice, you still have to use the cardboard to randomize on the trade map. I backed it on Kickstarter and have no remorse, but I definitely would not pay secondary market prices, this is not a $100 game. The cardboard TMG used is very good and should hold up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the deluxe version worth $60. Yeah, sure, if you caught the KS. Is it worth twice the price? I would honestly say "not even". If I had missed the KS, I'd be more than happy with the regular version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.