Popular Tags: monopoly [+] [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, lets see if this can be done without offending ANYONE. I see to the left hand side of the homepage that there is a listing of hot games. 99% of them are what you would expect on this sight, eurogames and wargames, with some ameritrash thrown in. And then, sitting in the mix is Gay Monopoly. Thats great, I have no moral, religious, or political viewpoints or objections towards it. In fact, I considered getting it for a friend of mine for a present who is gay...but my question is...why is such a random game like that in the listing on the side among all the wargames and euros? Is it really a popular game? Its been on that side bar list for as long as i've been a member. It just struck me as kinda funny, and again, I mean no offense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discussion of this topic appears to date back to as early as March of 2006.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/140931

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/101996

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garlic-13 Aniballi
United States
Carpentersville
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It probaly got hotlinked by some other site.

Is there a gay Slashdot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noting of course that the hot list is driven by page viewings, it's not editorial or ranking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no offense taken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Skinner
United States
Concord
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I myself have contributed to keeping this game on the side, as I'm sure almost anyone who has clicked on this thread. You say to yourself: "Gay Monopoly? How queer." and decide to investigate (hence keeping it floating).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Noting of course that the hot list is driven by page viewings, it's not editorial or ranking.

As has been stated above, the 'Hot Games' section is to do with the number of game page views by BGGers and visitors to the site. It is not necessarily related to rank or popularity, and curiosity (bi/curiosity?) alone will get games there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In an odd way, you answer your question, by asking your question.

By asking the question (and as was mentioned, it's been asked multiple times before), you lead people to say "Hmm...that is weird," and they click on the game...which helps keep it on the Hot Games list.

The BGG "ebay" link says a copy is up on eBay for >$100, and it has bidders, so I guess it's fairly rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarrant wrote:
The BGG "ebay" link says a copy is up on eBay for >$100, and it has bidders, so I guess it's fairly rare.

Perhaps we should start including it on Grail lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that a village people emoticon? That just gave me a good laugh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
elirlandes wrote:
(...snip...)It is not necessarily related to rank or popularity, and curiosity (bi/curiosity?) alone will get games there.

Sorry, Mr. Burns, but I don't go in for these back door shenanigans. Sure, I'm flattered, maybe even a little curious, but the answer is no!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Not published by Hasbro...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGameCzar wrote:
elirlandes wrote:
(...snip...)It is not necessarily related to rank or popularity, and curiosity (bi/curiosity?) alone will get games there.

Sorry, Mr. Burns, but I don't go in for these back door shenanigans. Sure, I'm flattered, maybe even a little curious, but the answer is no!

Mr. Burns: Excellent. Once again the wheel has turned and Dame Fortune has hugged Montgomery Burns to her sweet, perfumed bosom. Somebody up there likes me, Smithers.
Smithers: Somebody down here likes you too.
Burns: Shut Up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
"Gay Monopoly" is probably some google search term that always has BGG on *ehem* top of the list. People click it, and it gets a lot of traffic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe, due to the court case that arose from the publishing of Anti-Monopoly, that the general themes of the game of Monopoly are no longer "owned" by Parker Brothers.

Things like the logo, Rich Uncle Pennybags, the specific names of properties, certain board designs, etc. are part of that intellectual property, but it doesn't seem like this game borrows any of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hmm. Not published by Hasbro...

Not yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FAVOURITE QUOTES #154:
"I'm cool with it all, I have a gay friend....."

Bravo to you....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet the Go To Jail card is pretty scary in Gay Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SettlerOfCatan wrote:
Oh great, now we know that gay risk is right around the corner. Then Scene It! Gay. Then Gay Uno. Then knizia will actually do something half decent with the license, like gay: the confrontation or something.ninja

Gay PUERTO RICO!

Aie-yai-yai-YAI!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh so many possibilities:

Gay: The Gathering
Homosexual: Brighton vs San Fransisco
Descent: Journeys in the.......AAAAND we'll stop there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amusingly enough, when I was just on the BGG front page this thread was right above the one titled "Is theme really that important?" I would venture to say that for most people who are interested in this game the answer is yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I know I have clicked on the link to see what it was all about.

But swanhills_ca checks it out everyday, maybe it's him keeping it on the hotlist.

How about Gay Battlelore:

An epic tale of freedom, love, passion and gain for a rightful social acceptance. The tale begins on a battlefield of old. Earth, middle earth or maybe the moon, yes the moon.

Years of heterosexual oppression has angered the alternative lifestyle Hill Giants.

The tension is great as the two valiant groups close space across the murky vast hills. It is inevitable, they will collide.

But wait, who is that? It's Earth Elamental with a cocktail and party hat. "Can't we all just get along and dance?"

Nope they couldn't. But there was a big parade. For those who could not set aside their beliefs, they watched on the sideline. Not wanting to watch, but still looking just like passing a bad traffic accident.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gaylus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gay Monopoly plays a lot like regular Monopoly, except you pay 15% or $300 instead of 10% or $200 when landing on "Income Tax." A domestic partnership doesn't get the same tax breaks as a marriage.

Also, "hotels" are often referred to as "Bed and Breakfasts."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I don't understand the Jeep. Maybe it's a gay thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.