Gabriel St. Michael
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Been playing a few rounds of this and thoroughly enjoy it. Set up takes a bit of time, but it's fun to "build out" each new game.

But one thing I don't like at all is shuffling small piles of cards. Riffle shuffle is really punishing on small decks, and overhand and hindu tend to clump up and not distribute as well. They can end up wearing out the edge of the cards faster too. And yeah, protectors--I've never really liked playing with them, so no. And anyhow, with small deck sizes, you can sort of "feel" where the card you shuffled in may be.

Since I had extra dice lying around, I came up with a way to shuffle those small decks with a set of dice. Basically this is how it works (with an example of 10 cards, the usual size of a location deck):

1) Gather dice for your stack, with a dice for each card EXCEPT the first two cards. Progression should be (not counting the first two cards): d4, d4, d6, d6, d8, d8, d10, d10, d12, d12. For the first two cards, use an "extra die" that stands out from the rest. It helps if each set is a different color (explained below), but doesn't matter too much.

--For my ten card stack, I pull out 2d10, 2d8, 2d6, 2d4, and an "extra die" (usually a d12, but anything works as long as you can tell it's the extra). Nine dice in total.

2) Throw the dice, then pull cards from the stack indicated by the dice to make the new deck, starting with the higher-sided dice pair and working down to the lowest, leaving the "extra die" for last.

-- My d10s show 1 and 7. So I pull out the 1st and 7th card into a new deck. I move to the d8s (4 and 5), pulling out the 4th and 5th cards and put those in the new deck.

3) Each pair of dice, I restart my position count with the smaller stack size. (So if your dice show 3 on both the d6 and d4, there is ALWAYS a 3rd card--3rd card in the stack of 6 cards, then 3rd card in the stack of 4 cards.)

4) Ties with each pair, add +1 to one of them. If the result is over the count of cards in the stack, pull the first card.

-- D6s both show 3, so I pull the 3rd and 4th card. (If the results would have been 6 and 6, I would pull the 6th and 1st card.)

5) The "extra die" is used to select a card for the last two in the stack: odds is the first, and evens the second.

-- With two cards left, my "extra die" is a 12, which is even. I add the 2nd card to the new deck, then the 1st card.

6) If you have dice sets of different colors, designate one color as the card you pull first. (This way, cards aren't always put in the new stack with the second one pulled on top of the first.)

Works up to stacks of 12, 14 if you throw in 2d20 for the 13th and 14th cards. Anything higher is usually less problematic to shuffle. (You could do 20 with 2d20, but would have to re-roll each pair down to 12, or re-roll results over your stack count. Also, with more than two sets of dice, you probably could devise some way to resolve higher stack counts, like for bigger character decks--but well, shuffle may be faster and easier at that point.)

Seems slow at first, but eventually you can scan the dice pretty quickly and count off your new stack without even looking at the stack in your hand. Tremendously helpful for the smaller decks as the game progresses. And it saves wear and tear on the cards!

(Sorry if the instructions seem confusing--easy to do, hard to explain. If anyone knows a better way to post directions for this, please do or I can edit post with them later. Thanks!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Herodier
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, interesting.

Would it not be simpler to leave the piles unshuffled, but instead of drawing from the top, draw the D10'th card down whenever you would draw?

If there are less cards than your die result, the count could "wrap around" to the top and continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad this works for you, but for me, it seems like too much work. I sleeved RotR and S&S, and never had a problem riffle-shuffling the cards sideways. I didn't sleeve Wrath, and I riffle-shuffle the cards lengthwise. It is true the unsleeved cards do not wear well with all that shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Herodier
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
I sleeved RotR and S&S, and never had a problem riffle-shuffling the cards sideways.

This is what I did too. Works very well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel St. Michael
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
heroes182 wrote:
Hmm, interesting.

Would it not be simpler to leave the piles unshuffled, but instead of drawing from the top, draw the D10'th card down whenever you would draw?

If there are less cards than your die result, the count could "wrap around" to the top and continue.

That's true. Tho issue might occur when you examine the top or bottom cards and have to place them back. Then the physical order of the location deck is necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people when they examine cards in the location deck just leave them face up. Then you wouldn't have to roll dice to encounter those. Our group, for maybe aesthetic reasons, won't leave the examined card face up but we will frequently examine again a card that Alahazra or someone already scouted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great minds think alike! Back when I played through RotRL, I settled on something similar for radomizing the location decks. I'd pull the appropriate cards for each deck, then for each deck rebuild by rolling

10 cards --> d10

9 cards --> d6/2, d6/2 - (i.e., first gives which set of three, second gives card within that set of 3)

8 cards --> d8

7 cards --> d12/2, d6/2 - (d6 only matters if a 12 if rolled, then it determines 6 or 7)

6 cards --> d6

5 cards --> d10/2

4 cards --> d4

3 cards --> d6/2

2 cards --> d6/2

1 card --> goes on top.

Goes pretty fast once you've done it a few times. My hand shuffling always clumped cards, and I just felt that using dice produced more reliably random decks. To each their own, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.