Subject: A truly epic session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished a 3 day (maybe 10-12 hours), 65 turn, monster of a game... Soloing 4 avatars on all 4 maps, hard mode (only starting with shards) but using stewardship for the first city visit, and the instant loss variant (no fighting Xulthul allowed). I managed to pull out a victory, while only losing 2 avatars.

There were some very tense battles ... 3 or 4 really important ones that came down to one 50/50 roll, nothing like spending all your potions and getting a guardian down to 1 life token, and realizing you might not win because you are out of shards... and if you don't win, you have wasted everything...

A few thoughts and rules questions that came up during the game...

1) I think the first shadow is the toughest one for a few reasons... typically it remains in the shadow realm for some time building up life... I believe the first one came out in turn 9 with a life of 10 or 11, subsequent ones come out very quickly usually spawing and 2 moves with 4 life... much more manageable. Yes, they come out quickly but at least they have a chance of failing the stronghold reveal, and weakening.
- Should there be a life token cap for those initial shadows?
- It is imperative to hit these huge shadows as quickly as possible, with a grenade or something to at least weaken them a few points creating the possibility that they fail the gate reveal.

2) Several times, Either the shadow or an avatar (through mutagen) had an ability that increased the life token supply - (Colossal or Lycantropic ... maybe more) What happens if I reduce the life and withdraw? Are the new life tokens permanent? Similarly... what if the avatar has a fate card that increases life (I forget the name) is reduced to one life, and gains a new fate? The avatar has taken 5 drains... normally dissipating it, but the extra life holds it. This didn't come up, but the question in my mind did.

3) When a shadow moves to a gate in the shadow realm, and moves to a randomly determined gate in Aethos (as long as there are unrevealed strongholds on the tile) does it get another move? - I hope not. I didn't give it one.

4) When a shadow initially appears it will advance to the nearest unrevealed stronghold. What if 2 are tied for nearest? I played that I got to choose. Is this the intent?

Thanks. This game was fun, even if I got a few rules (above) wrong.... however, I think I will be reducing my sessions to 2 avatars 2 tiles... unless I really want a solo con type game.

Edit: I didn't complete a single quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember another questions... What happens if you engage a shadow in a lair hex? I didn't even realize that I did it until later in the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay in responding! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to answer your questions piecemeal.

dlikos wrote:
Should there be a life token cap for those initial shadows?

I like the strategic element enabled by limitless life... after all? You can see them growing...

dlikos wrote:
When a shadow moves to a gate in the shadow realm, and moves to a randomly determined gate in Aethos (as long as there are unrevealed strongholds on the tile) does it get another move?

No. It took its movement for that turn in the Shadow Realm to get to the Shadow Gate.

dlikos wrote:
When a shadow initially appears it will advance to the nearest unrevealed stronghold. What if 2 are tied for nearest?

Random die roll to choose target stronghold.

If you want to complete quests, I recommend you try 4 avatars and 2 map tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
I remember another questions... What happens if you engage a shadow in a lair hex? I didn't even realize that I did it until later in the game...

A creature in a lair always attacks immediately when avatars enter the lair hex. You'll have to dispatch the lair inhabitant before you can attack the Shadow. Because you do not have to take another movement to reach the Shadow, if you defeat the lair inhabitant you can launch a second attack the same turn against the Shadow in that terrain hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cheated a little bit then blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
I cheated a little bit then blush

Cheat? House rule? Who's to tell and who cares -- the point of a game is to provide enjoyment: if you had fun, that's all that matters in the end!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.