Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An event card tells Dracula he must place a weakened hunter in an adjacent city. If Dracula is in Cagliari, where should he place the hunter, as there doesn't appear to be any adjacent cities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't, there is t anything adjacent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cagliari is a port is it not? I would assume in this unique case that "adjacent" would be any other port bordering the same sea area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Joelist wrote:
Cagliari is a port is it not? I would assume in this unique case that "adjacent" would be any other port bordering the same sea area?

If it's the card I think it is, I believe it specifies adjacent city.

A sea is not a city. THis card couldn't be played (or could be played, but would do nothing, so it would be pointless) on a Hunter in Cagliari. NOr, for instance, on a Hunter in Dublin, if there was a fog token in Galway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There seem to be two cards that do this: Wild Horses and Vampiric Influence.

Wild Horses says to play it "after a hunter moves by road" so it can't be played at Cagliari.

Vampiric Influence says to play immediately, and instructs you to:

Quote:
Choose 1 weakened hunter. That hunter reveals all his item and event cards. Choose and discard 1 of those cards. Then, move that hunter to an adjacent city.

If the hunter is at Cagliari, they obviously can't be moved to an adjacent city. So the question becomes, can you play the card on them at all? That is, are you allowed to fulfil only part of the instructions on the card, or is it all or nothing?

I'd argue that the card simply can't be played on a hunter at Cagliari (i.e. it must be discarded without effect if there's no other hunter to choose), but it's fair enough if the group wants to allow it. Either way, the hunter shouldn't be moved, because there is no adjacent city to move them to.

(It's worth mentioning that the latest expansion for Elder Sign, also from Fantasy Flight, has an instruction like this: "do X, then do Y" which has been officially confirmed to be all or nothing. Obviously that doesn't necessarily mean anything for this game, but I think it's suggestive.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the help, I'd say the most recent response clears things up pretty well. By the way, the card was "Vampiric Influence." Sorry I didn't specify in my OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
Vampiric Influence says to play immediately, and instructs you to:

Quote:
Choose 1 weakened hunter. That hunter reveals all his item and event cards. Choose and discard 1 of those cards. Then, move that hunter to an adjacent city.

If the hunter is at Cagliari, they obviously can't be moved to an adjacent city. So the question becomes, can you play the card on them at all? That is, are you allowed to fulfil only part of the instructions on the card, or is it all or nothing?

I'd argue that the card simply can't be played on a hunter at Cagliari (i.e. it must be discarded without effect if there's no other hunter to choose), but it's fair enough if the group wants to allow it. Either way, the hunter shouldn't be moved, because there is no adjacent city to move them to.

It's Dracula's instant play event, and I would allow him to play it on a hunter even if the move condition can't be fulfilled. (He's just getting a weakened version of the effect in that case, not avoiding some balancing penalty.)

P.S. It would be nice to think there was a consistent "template" for card effects in this game, but most evidence points to the designers not achieving that level of thoroughness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.