Subject: competition between the Hero`s during a session. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize the game is about defending the realm and defeating the generals.

When we play this game, each player representing one hero and although we play with the game concept of co-op defending the realm against the Generals we try to keep track of each hero`s performance in combat:

a) success-failure combat vs each General in the game.
b) number of minions killed during combats in the game.
c) number of locations travelled in the game.

although bookkeeping seems like a nightmare, I have recorded each game session in detail, something I enjoy to do to capture the story of each session.

Do you feel this is the best way to determine which hero had the best percentage/performance compare to the others ?

Defeating the General with final hit after other hero`s have inflicted
previous damages does not seem to be the best way of deciding which hero
was the true King`s Champion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
ageofconan wrote:
I realize the game is about defending the realm and defeating the generals.

When we play this game, each player representing one hero and although we play with the game concept of co-op defending the realm against the Generals we try to keep track of each hero`s performance in combat:

a) success-failure combat vs each General in the game.
b) number of minions killed during combats in the game.
c) number of locations travelled in the game.

although bookkeeping seems like a nightmare, I have recorded each game session in detail, something I enjoy to do to capture the story of each session.

Do you feel this is the best way to determine which hero had the best percentage/performance compare to the others ?

Defeating the General with final hit after other hero`s have inflicted
previous damages does not seem to be the best way of deciding which hero
was the true King`s Champion.

If you want to play the King's Champion differently you can use any house rule you choose. Personally, I've never once calculated King's Champion after a game. Everybody I've played with enjoys playing cooperatively and winning or losing as a team, but I realize there are different views on that point. Here's a lengthy discussion on that subject, in which designer Richard Launius provides some excellent comments: Is this really a co-op?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ageofconan wrote:
I realize the game is about defending the realm and defeating the generals...

...Do you feel this is the best way to determine which hero had the best percentage/performance compare to the others ?
With the caveat being (and that you nicely anticipated) I just don't get the need for seeing who was "best"... No, I don't think this is the best way. It might be the only practical way, but it's not the best. Why? Because the game isn't all about defeating Minions and Generals. It's about collaborating to defeat them. How do you recognise the fact that I defeat the single Minion that then allows you to do the cool thing that you do and defeat 10 Minions? Which of us contributed "most"? This sort of crude metric always fails to acknowledge the role of the enablers in the team while recognising the "star" player or Alpha player (not Alpha in the bad co-op context but in the - not necessarily less bad - "alpha male" sense).

Unless your system recognises the contribution that enablers make, you will incentivise people to maximise their individual achievement at the expense of the overall team achievement. Incentives drive behaviour (sure, many enablers are used to not gaining recognition, or even don't care about it).

tl;dr this sort of recognition system is fundamentally flawed because it only recognises the achievements of the people who want that type of recognition and this in turn undermines the nature of a co-op, so I don't do it. YMMV (and your house may burn down if you set fire to it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Sphere, we don't mess with the King's Champion stuff. We may have played at it a couple of times early on, but we all found it rather ridiculous. We enjoy winning or losing as a team. Pretty sure everyone antes up at some point or other...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Sphere and mccrispy and Dan for the posts. Very useful info and the idea behind the spirit of coop which I need to remind my group before we start playing this game again. Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.