Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game of this. We're all pretty heavy gamers and I own and play merchants and marauders. How long is this going to be? Will it be fun with that many players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably 3ish hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
played with 4 and I think that's the max we'll ever play with... I'm willing to bet it'll be closer to 4 hours or longer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 5 player and we were done in 3.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I your players are Ap-prone, max out at four, if your players can plan ahead, five should be alright. More, never.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I Has a Stick! A Tiny Green Stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love Xia... but if it has one flaw, it is player downtime.

Turns can be very long (or quite short).

If several players in a row have turns where they have to appraise new mission cards, take multiple long movements, and fight a battle...

while your turn is just "wait for next turn to respawn"...

followed by others appraising mission cards, moving, fighting, selling, gaining titles...

the pacing can be downright tedious.

This won't happen every turn, but the more players you have, the more likely it is to occur.

Also, experienced players are monitoring their opponents' turns with great interest. For a beginning player, not knowing what to look for, other peoples' turns are less interesting.

One trick which will greatly impact downtime is to be generous on "takebacks" for movement after getting new missions. If the player drawing new missions can just finish their movement, and look at their cards on the next player turn, knowing that if they say, "Hey, guys, I went in the wrong direction..." everyone will say, "Go ahead, change that"... the game will be MUCH zippier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
First game of this. We're all pretty heavy gamers and I own and play merchants and marauders. How long is this going to be? Will it be fun with that many players?

Short answer: Exactly as long as you want it to be!

Longer answer: You can decide how many points you want to play to. For our very first game, we only played to 5 points. This gave everyone a couple of turns to figure out the mechanics etc, and was enough to actually see the game work.

Another way you can play is a set time limit, and then just see who has most points when the time is up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5 player game to 20 points past Origins: 6 hours.

There were distractions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About 4 hours last night five player but we haven't played in awhile ... Played again tonight as a four player game and we're done in 3 but neither game seemed long and enjoyed by all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
NSYakfisher wrote:
About 4 hours last night five player but we haven't played in awhile ... Played again tonight as a four player game and we're done in 3 but neither game seemed long and enjoyed by all
no one enjoyed the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
NSYakfisher wrote:
no one enjoyed the game?

Right, "neither game seemed long and enjoyed by all." One game seemed long, and one game seemed enjoyed by all, but neither game was both of those things. I think you nailed exactly what he meant. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry we enjoyed both game but the four player flowed a bit better but we wouldn't hesitate to play five player again... It's one of my daughters top two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla1 wrote:

followed by others appraising mission cards, moving, fighting, selling, gaining titles...

the pacing can be downright tedious.

Also, experienced players are monitoring their opponents' turns with great interest. For a beginning player, not knowing what to look for, other peoples' turns are less interesting.

Completely disagree. When I'm not playing I like to watch and soak up the whimsical stories that arise as players get in to the minds of their characters.

If you're just sat there twiddling your thumbs between turns, occassionally strategising your next move but ignoring the "unimportant" events outside the scope of your plans, then I'd argue you were almost certainly playing the wrong game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NSYakfisher wrote:
Sorry we enjoyed both game but the four player flowed a bit better but we wouldn't hesitate to play five player again... It's one of my daughters top two games.

Glad you enjoyed it. It's my number one game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.