Subject: Specific Couple Games Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] twoplayer [+] [View All]
Joe H.
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Hey guys! Help me with the questions below would you

1. If my girlfriend and I adore Lost Cities, is Battle Line different enough to warrant a purchase?

2. Are Balloon Cup and Odin's Ravens similar? Which is better for a couple?

Recommendations are welcome! We don't mind complex and meaty games.

The following games have made the cut:
• Alhambra
• Balloon Cup
• Goa
• San Juan
• BattleLore
• Carcassonne: The City
• Lost Cities
• Mystery Rummy: Jack The Ripper
• Samurai

Finally, I'll like to know whether the following games are suitable for us: Caylus, Hellas, Hey! That's My Fish, Power Grid, Saint Petersburg, Twilight Struggle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Battle Line or Odin's Ravens but I will give a thumbs up to Hey! That's My Fish and Power Grid.

Hey! That's My Fish is quick and has a lot of replayability. It does require a fair amount of thinking, and I think it fits in well with the other games that have made the cut.

You say that you don't mind complex and meaty games. I would recommend Power Grid as one of those. It plays very well with 2, and is great fun once you get the rules down.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Bailey
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities and Battle Line are quite different so give it a try.

Caylus - I think it would be a bit heavy just for 2.
Saint Petersburg - would be worth a try though i have only played with 3 and 4 but the card play is simple, while the choices of what to play are not.
Twilight Struggle - Might be too heavy

try great wall of china as it would be a similar weight to lost cities and Richelieu as another nice card game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Mejer Hansen
Denmark
Horsens
Not applicable
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't like Balloon Cup very much I do like Odin's Ravens
and I think it makes for a great couples game.

Hellas perhaps has a bit more (perceived) direct confontation, but is a nice litle game if if you dont mind that.
If you find that you like Hellas, I would recomend Babel. The two games has some of the same feel.

Sct. Petersburg is a great two player game, and I have enjoyed it immensely.

I wont recomed Power Grid as a two player games. For me alot of the meat of that game lies in the auction part. And it goes without saying that that part is a bit less exiting with only two players (even more so as a cuples games, as I find that bluffing my girlfriend is very diffecult, and vice-versa)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd give the thumbs up to both Odin's Ravens and Balloon Cup. They're quite different in play style, so you won't feel that you've made a redundant purchase. Balloon Cup seems to offer more nasty direct conflict with a significant screwage factor, while Odin's Ravens rewards a more well rounded strategy. My wife and I play both fairly regularly. Another one of our favorites is Dracula (http://boardgamegeek.com/game/7804), which throws a memory component into the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd drop Power Grid off the list if you only have two players, its a very, very lame two player experience.

The rest are all good picks for two, but Twilight Struggle might be a hard sell. My wife really enjoyed Caylus, but couldn't get into the cold war theme, the tiny chits, or the convoluted rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Odin's Ravens has been a lot of fun and gone over well with my other half as has St. Petersburg. If you can handle Goa you can probably handle Caylus. Power grid is a good game, but not for two. I've heard good things about Twilight Struggle but I think it may end up like my copy of TI:3, I'll probably never get to play it but when I look at it it makes me smile because one day I might...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
em m
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played San Juan as a 2-player game - the first few times are a novelty and tons of fun. After that, the gameplay and strategy get very repetitious. If you get the right combo of cards early (with the production/trade bonuses), you'll overwhelm the other player. I think San Juan makes a better 4-player game because then the "right" combo of cards are harder to come by and you must adapt your strategy accordingly. As a 2-player game, it gets boring quickly.

I prefer Samurai as a 2-player game over San Juan - it's a quick, simple game with a subtle strategy. One of my favourite elements is the game end trigger - the game ends when the last figure of any type is removed from the board, or when the 4th figure is placed beside the board due to a tie. So, if you think you're in the lead, you can force the game to end. I haven't gotten tired yet of Samurai (although my bf strongly dislikes the end game scoring).

I recommend Carcassonne - Hunters and Gatherers as a 2-player game. I dislike the farmer scoring in the original Carcassonne, and H&G fixes that with it's own version of field scoring. I've never played Carcassonne: The City, so I'm not sure how that compares, by H&G has my vote over the Carcassonne (with Inns & Cathedrals).

I'm looking forward to Goa, which my bf and I tried once but had a tough time figuring out the convoluted rules. Hopefully, we'll give it a go again because I was so excited about playing it. And I have Caylus, but I haven't tried it yet.

I haven't played Power Gride as a 2-player game, but I don't think it would work very well because of the auction system.

On my 2-player radar are: Alhambra, Attika, St. Petersburg, Odin's Ravens, Guillotine, Babel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BL and LC are definitely different, but that doesn't automatically equate to a likability factor. My wife loved Lost Cities, then she loved Caesar and Cleopatra, but she doesn't like Battle Line. The theme might be it, but it's also the radically different game play. She's still trying, though, because she can't figure out how to beat me ... unlike our other 2 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! She'll play BattleLore?? Lucky you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of the more recent 2 players games that are decent:
Roma
Aton
(Is there a letter shortage that I'm not aware of?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael crow
United States
minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I Like

Alhambra

and

Lost Cities you can read my reaview here:
http://gameswithboards.blogspot.com/search/label/Reviews

both would be good choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ontangent wrote:
Lost Cities and Battle Line are quite different so give it a try.

Caylus - I think it would be a bit heavy just for 2.
Saint Petersburg - would be worth a try though i have only played with 3 and 4 but the card play is simple, while the choices of what to play are not.
Twilight Struggle - Might be too heavy

Caylus is brilliant with 2. If the original poster said complex and meaty is no problem, then this is a no-brainer and should be bought.

Saint Petersburg is quite good for 2 as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you guys I've added Caylus, Hey! That's My Fish! and Odin's Ravens to our list!

Is there any good co-operative game out there? I'm thinking Lord of the Rings but heard that it isn't much good..

Keep the recommendations coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 Yes
d10-2 No, personally I prefer Balloon Cup, but there are plenty who don't meeple

I really like Goa but not two player. If you are going to have three or four then yes.

I love Power Grid but you really should have three or more players, if you have only two you may as well play something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
I'd like to chip in here to say that Caylus is excellent with any number of players, and expecially so with 2. This game scales wonderfully: 2-player Caylus is simply a different game with different tactics than n-player Caylus. All are excellent.

Odin Raven's gets a thumbs up from me too. It has some very subtle tactics, and some nice "gotcha" moments that usually go down well with couples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
..personally I prefer Balloon Cup, but there are plenty who don't meeple

Really? Well, I have not come across them on this site! Balloon Cup is one of our all-time faves... one of the few games where we have worn the cards out.

I would also recommend:
* Odins Ravens
* Roma
* Attika
* Alhambra

(Alhambra is useful because you can also play with another couple)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you again I appreciate the new responses.

One more question before we finalise the list. Which is better for a couple, Thurns and Taxis or Ticket to Ride: Märklin?

The fruit of my research:
• Alhambra
• Balloon Cup
• Battle Line
• BattleLore
• Bohnanza
• Carcassonne: The City
• Cartagena
• Caylus
• Goa
• Guillotine
• Hellas
• Hey! That’s My Fish!
• Mr. Jack
• Mystery Rummy Case No. 1: Jack the Ripper
• Odin’s Ravens
• Saint Petersburg
• San Juan
• Samurai

EDIT: If any of them are similar enough to warrant only ONE purchase, please warn me because shipping so many games to Singapore... Oh my wallet... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for Thurn & Taxis - great 2 players.

Odin's is one of the best in the series although I played Babel recently and loved it just slightly more.

Battle Line is a cracker and in my opinion beats Lost Cities hands down. My wife loves it too.

I am a huge fan of St. Petersburg but prefer this much more with 3 or 4 players than 2. The resources (cards to purchase) are not scarce enough for me with 2.

Can't recall if you have this already but I would recommend Carcassonne: The Castle over Carcassonne: The City for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.