Popular Tags: [View All]
Ferro Ostil
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi after a few games, I have three questions. I read the FAQ but didn't find answers.

1. Is the hand size public knowledge? Can I know how many cards other players hold? (just how many, of course, not what cards) I asked this because I had the power to draw up to eight from other players. But another player had the Filch flare and didn't want to say how many cards he was holding (he had been filching, of course). Is there a consensus of or ruling on whether current hand size is public?

2. Is it permissible for players to whisper to each other at the table? Or must everything be spoken out loud?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh taylor
msg tools
i dont think there is a rule saying either way but if you draw cards from someone they have to let you draw from their entire hand not just part of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Grube
United States
La Vista
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet, you're playing Cosmic Encounters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both questions are subject to house rules. I don't think there is anything official or consensus.
Note that when the "most cards in hand" special destiny card is drawn, everybody will have to say how many cards they have to determine who has the most. To me it makes sense people will have to say how much they have in other occasions as well. The most important situation is when someone is the Genius and the amount of cards he has determines how close he is to victory.
Whispering is completely about preference. I usually play that all table talk is public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like public table talk. mostly for the public taunting and negotiations that lead to a one sided lying victory. If someone wanted to whisper I would allow it but mercilessly mock those whispering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferro Ostil
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the table talk and negotiations, too. It's what makes the game. If we are going to house rule it, I think I will go with if you have a power or flare that lets you draw or switch cards you can see the hand size, also to decide whether to use the power or flare. It may mean having to reveal you power.

The whispering should probably just be permitted and ridiculed, as suggested.

Thanks all!

Groobies wrote:
Sweet, you're playing Cosmic Encounters

Love it. And remember it from the first EON addition. Didn't have a group to play it with but had a few opportunities to play this past week. It's such a blast. (And of course it's a war game...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hand size is always public knowledge, including being able to see what card backs a player has. Anyone can ask that at any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these questions are typical cases of where you have to rely on implicit rules that apply to any game, unless the rules of the game themselves alter them. For example, you are not supposed to win a game by stalling your move until everyone has left. If you draw a card from the deck, you are supposed to take the top one.
The implicit rule about cards is that the backs are visible to all players, but not the fronts. The implicit rule about communication is that there is no secret communication in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hand size is public knowledge, but you shouldn't be required to announce it at all times. You can ask how many cards a person has - and even to look at the backs of those cards (to determine if they're regular or Reward cards). But a player is not obligate to announce how many (or where they came from) when that information changes.

But yes, if there's a game effect that says, "Player with the most cards" the determination must be made publically.

And no, private communications are never allowed. Any negotiations, bribes, threats, taunts, insults, pleas, encouragements, discouragements, etc., must always be made publically. They must always be subject to other players' reactions. "Don't accept that deal!" "He's bluffing - that's an empty threat!" "He's lying to you!" etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.