Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garyp
Australia
Berry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I know that there is a ton of stuff to play for this game, particularly with the new Command and Dirty Tricks (Tactics) cards which mean you can replay every existing scenario fresh again. And there are a number of "house" rules for "epic" games - but not releasing the "official" grande battles rules for the foreseeable future is just plain mean! C&C games are excellent but as a light war game they excel at the epic level.

Come on GMT - at least move it up to sometime next year so that we have a light at the end of the tunnel - this would have to be a very simple production run, particularly given that the rules are written and ready to go as far as I am aware.

Please GMT, pretty please with sugar on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1

I was rather surprised also to not see it listed. Popular game system, automatically will make cut off due to loyal fanbase. Not sure why the delay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Slaughter
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, nothing in P500, so nothing in 2016. Going from P500 to produced is typically a 2+ year process (there are a few exceptions).

So, new items for C&CN, like Grande Army, could go onto P500 this year. GMT is pretty quiet about what is pre-P500.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't aware that the rules are ready to go. I was under the impression that people are using home-made rules converted/influenced from C&C:Ancients. Maybe I missed a statement from Mr Borg?

Have the developers worked out what they intend to do with the map(s). Will the game ship with an "epic" paper map? Double-deep map? Double-wide map?

Have the Grande Batailles scenarios been identified, developed, and playtested yet?

I think there's still a fair amount of designing, developing, and playtesting to do before GMT can provide a semi-accurate production date estimate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

This game is exciting and I respect your waiting for the "Epic" expansion and usually I was like you for each expansion. But this time I'm on the "other side": Come-on! The last expansion just arrived and we can play now for YEARS using all the scenarios with the new rules!

And I donno if you tried it but re-playing the same scenario 10 times brings 10 very different battles (such a way that we discover with scare the huge power of the hasard of cards)!

So ... Yes I'm waiting like you for the "Mother Battle": AUSTERLITZ (What? Ho no, not Waterloo sorry), but I'm not waiting for another system of rules needing 8 players I will never found (neither 6 and very rarely 4).

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garyp
Australia
Berry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic games of Ancients and Memoir certainly do play very well with 8 players - 1 C&C and 3 sun-generals per side - particularly if you adhere to the limited communication restrictions on the C&C - it can be very interesting to watch the dynamics of 3 different personalities on a side and the frustration of the C&C when command cards are not used as intended - absolutely hilarious at times.

But epic games also work very well as 2 player - obviously longer play time but the added scope and just more of everything makes epic C&C an excellent light wargame.

And more is just better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo I noticed this too--and sighed heavily! But we know GB is coming. It would be nice to hear something encouraging from Richard or anyone about how its coming along, perhaps what design decisions have been made so far, and at least what some of the things that will be included shall be, etc.

After my first few experiences with Kickstarter not too long ago, I now have a list called "The Chas Game Event Horizon," listing which games from all sources I expect to be getting in the next few months. Unfortunately its always being updated--as the proposed shipping dates are delayed again and again, whether from KS or not. That's board game biz! No wonder I still value my brick and mortar FLGS. At least you can grab what they do have right away.

Since I'm very low tech, I also have a pal who buys things for me on the internet. His biggest score of all time was last week, when he found certain useful Kickstarter Exclusives for me for Blood Rage! Of course, I'll have to pay for them at vaguely reasonable rates...

(Sigh)

For a thread with all my adventures playing a dozen or so fan created (mostly by Bayernkini) 'Epic' sized CCN scenarios, see my thread on playing 'Epic' Waterloo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like all the action in 2016 will be covered by Richard Borg's, The Great War. I'm looking forward to the tank expansion next month, which has already been through Kick Starter and I believe that the French army will be launched next year.

If we are really lucky PSC may get round to coming up with another expansion (hopefully the Russians) towards the end of 2016.

Still, I was hoping for GB late 2016, but let's just keep hoping....

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dreiling
United States
Bexley
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Having played the C&CN: GB: Austerlitz scenario at Buckeye Game Fest, I was looking for something on the GMT web site in the P500 to indicate some activity, but not so. The game is played on deeper boards then regular C&CN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Michael,

Really? Now that's VERY interesting, because I've already said I'd like a deeper board, and while one person did agree, others have stood up for that not being a good idea! Do you remember how many hexes across and down the board was, or any variant rules used?

Since many of us think GB will include two new boards, giving the many limitations and fraility of the old one, the sky's the limit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no proof or inside information but I'm sure RB has an EPIC version fullt worked out. Production wise we'd be looking at new boards (one double or two single) and scenarios but the I think the new Marshalls & tactitions deck can already be used for the Grande Batille so I don't think production would be too onerous for GMT given the certainty of sales.

So, shame it won't be 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It still could be in 2016; their production schedule is always tentative, especially for later in the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a month and a half later there is still no GMT announcement on Grand Batailles. However, it now appears that 2016 will be quite a busy Richard Borg year:

*The Great War and its Tank expansion by PSC

*Tricorn American Revolution in the Spring by Compass

*GMT taking over Samurai Battles

*Worthington Games with a C&C SciFi Borg design

So I guess the production timing is up to GMT rather than Mr. Borg, who is certainly not letting any grass grow under his feet! In fact, its now the GOLDEN AGE OF BORG!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Well, a month and a half later there is still no GMT announcement on Grand Batailles.

As i said already last year, i personally don´t expect the CCN Epic extension before 2017 (and i fear there at end of the year) cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:

*GMT taking over Samurai Battles

Where have you got that info? Any more details - would it be blocks, miniatures, etc? What is the release date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sidle on over to the SB forum, partner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Sidle on over to the SB forum, partner!

Will do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compass has placed Tricorne on pre order

http://compassgames.com/index.php/preorders/commands-colors-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of a high retail price.

I found this part interesting:
"Players, that are familiar with other Commands & Colors games, will soon note that unit combat losses in a Tricorne game are typically not as great as other games covered in the Commands & Colors series. This is a direct result of the linear tactic fighting style of the armies that fought during the American Revolution. Unit morale is the main thematic focus in a Tricorne battle as it was historically. Knowing that an entire unit, that has only taken minimal losses when forced to retreat, may actually break and rout from the battlefield, will definitely keep players on the edge of their command chairs during an entire battle."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious if that means retreat effects/results will be more common and or drastic.

I do not expect (or hope) they added a separate mechanic for this . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Tricorne a number of times with Richard. Just as he has adapted the engine to other game periods/themes, there are subtle but significant changes in the C&C mechanics to effect the change described as well as some other minor changes.

Retreats can turn into a unit rout, particularly if the unit has lost a number of blocks. Any retreat by a militia unit can be an adventure.

The effects of this change will impact your tactics. Supporting units are more important than ever. The ability to ignore a flag is magnified, linear formations emphasized.

Another excellent game, imho! I've been hawking the Compass site, to pre-order asap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Kind of a high retail price.

Agreed... I think.

C&C Nappy retails for $75 from GMT ($49 P500), Tricorne $95 ($72 Pre-order). Comparing P500 to Pre-order pricing is not exactly fair, I would say. P500 is a crowd funding variant while Compass' Pre-order is not.

Tricorne has 309 blocks, 72 Terrain Tiles, 60 Command Cards and 48 Combat Cards.

Nappy has 340 blocks, 56 Terrain Tiles, 70 Command Cards

So content is about even, perhaps a slight bump to Tricorne for setting up an extra print run of cards?

Of course, GMT's retail price is for a product that is not currently available. On Amazon it is selling for $140+.

I hope Tricorne sells well. Richard has expansion material cued up for it, but they will only manifest if the base game sells well enough to make economic sense to Compass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heckmac wrote:

I hope Tricorne sells well. Richard has expansion material cued up for it, but they will only manifest if the base game sells well enough to make economic sense to Compass.

We will see; the switch to blocks after plastic soldier were originally announced, and then the price increase, may have turned some people off.

Personally, $90 is way too much for a block game (though I would have been willing to go $100+ for the miniature option).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See; I totally disagree with you. In fact, $90 is too much to pay for a game with only 12 scenarios!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
See; I totally disagree with you. In fact, $90 is too much to pay for a game with only 12 scenarios!

Yes, I was surprised on the 12 scenarios. Certainly, many more will be released on www.commandandcolors.net but Richard's are usually better playtested. I've playtested some that are not on the release list, so maybe there will be some bonus scenarios shortly after release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.