Tom Robertson
msg tools
The 1st session moved slow mainly due to organising cards and tokens into bags before play fully began.

Before I even started I was a little worried, because I have seen people playing campaigns that lasted 7 or 8 missions but according to the rules the base set really only allows for three or four, as you are told to put the mission and objective cards used in the completed mission to the side, unless you switch the different operational theatres going back and forth between the Jungle and the Middle East.

Maybe that's what you should do with the base set (switch operational theatres) or just buy more expansions.

Anyway I completed the objective but some questions from the play session came up:

1) An enemy has been suppressed but there are still soldier actions left, is it possible for the soldier make an attack against the hostile in an attmpt to kill the hostile (EKIA) or because they are already suppressed would further attacks be impossible?

2) I think in the rules it is written that screening Hostiles like Thug and Drug Runner once suppressed no longer screen the hostiles they would normally screen. Does this also remove things like special written abilities that add to entrance costs or reinforcements?

3) Speaking of screening, the Cartel Boss is screened by all other hostiles. If the Hostiles are suppressed does that mean I can attack the Cartel Boss?

4) I took out out the Cartel Boss using the under slung M40 grenade 'thing' that gave me the two kills necessary. In other rules it talks about not being able to use explosives like mortar fire on Objectives, is the M40 a legitimate kill or was I wrong to call that a win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

A bit more specific:
3.) Only if there are Hostile cards with Suppress tokens on all their reticles, their text abilities can be ignored. So if you have for example a Rocket Team hostiles needs to have two Suppress tokens on it, in order to stop screening the Cartel Boss.

4.) The rulebook at page 18 mentions, that "...all the results of Suppress and Kill produced by an Explosion Attack inflict Suppresses and Kills on the target". What the rules meant (probably you are reffering to the text at page 19), are that the Action cards (like Mortar Attack you have mentioned) cannot be used against the Objective itself, but you can attack Hostiles on the Objective card with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie_Chow47 wrote:
The 1st session moved slow mainly due to organising cards and tokens into bags before play fully began.

Before I even started I was a little worried, because I have seen people playing campaigns that lasted 7 or 8 missions but according to the rules the base set really only allows for three or four, as you are told to put the mission and objective cards used in the completed mission to the side, unless you switch the different operational theatres going back and forth between the Jungle and the Middle East.

Maybe that's what you should do with the base set (switch operational theatres) or just buy more expansions.

Welcome to Warfighter and BGG! Here's some GG to get you started - maybe buy a Warfighter microbadge.

Quote:
Anyway I completed the objective but some questions from the play session came up:

1) An enemy has been suppressed but there are still soldier actions left, is it possible for the soldier make an attack against the hostile in an attmpt to kill the hostile (EKIA) or because they are already suppressed would further attacks be impossible?

Yes - you can continue to attack them if they are all suppressed (or some combination of EKIA and suppressed). What you can't do is put more than one suppression counter on each reticle.

Quote:
2) I think in the rules it is written that screening Hostiles like Thug and Drug Runner once suppressed no longer screen the hostiles they would normally screen. Does this also remove things like special written abilities that add to entrance costs or reinforcements?

Yes. That's covered specifically in the 2nd edition rulebook, page 8:

Warfighter 2nd Edition Rulebook, pg 8 wrote:
This text is only active if there is at least one Hostile Reticle that is not Suppressed and not Killed on the card.

Quote:
3) Speaking of screening, the Cartel Boss is screened by all other hostiles. If the Hostiles are suppressed does that mean I can attack the Cartel Boss?

Yes, see definition of "Screened" keyword, page 27.
Warfighter 2nd Edition Rulebook, pg 27 wrote:

All designated Hostiles in the same Location card must be Suppressed or Killed before the Screened Hostile can be Attacked.

Quote:
4) I took out out the Cartel Boss using the under slung M40 grenade 'thing' that gave me the two kills necessary. In other rules it talks about not being able to use explosives like mortar fire on Objectives, is the M40 a legitimate kill or was I wrong to call that a win?

Yup. Legit. You may not use card effects of support cards to take out mission objective targets, but weapons that you carry are fine. See pg 19:

Warfighter 2nd Edition Rulebook, pg 19 wrote:
Some Action card text allows the card to target Hostile cards. These Action cards cannot attack the target in an Objective card. They can however attack the Hostile cards in an Objective card.

The example below this rule specifically covers the case of Mortar Call cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Robertson
msg tools
Sweet.

Good to know on the first playthrough I didn't completely muck it all up.

Thank you all for your responses.

I think my next playthrough I will try a short mission and focus on team creation and how resource and loadout/weight points work, with the focus to be to try and carry a team or soldier through a short campaign against the cartel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.