Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: The 'worth' of a game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you the type of person who will throw all the money (within reason of course) at a game because you like the look of it or have you ever decided that you simply didn't get enough in the box to be worth it?

Over the last week I've been eyeing Champions of Midgard. Its worker placement, I love waterdeep and I like the theme, sounds great. Problem is it’s also £40 (~$60 inc tax). I don’t care how great the reviews are I’m not going to pay that for a 2-4 player game with some custom dice. I can get Blood Rage for ‘only’ £53 and view that as ‘better’ value for money.

Are there any games you like the look of but refuse to buy purely based on the cost (not counting collectors editions like War of the Ring)?

p.s. It confuses me why some games seem much better value than other but then I look at the US price for CoM and find you can get it for $34-39 (before tax?). I assume some games we just get shafted on more than others.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to mitigate the cost of some games by reselling them. That way, I can try lots of different games, and only keep the ones I really love.

A game that I will not buy is therefore Pandemic Legacy. If I lived in the US, I might get it anyway as it's only $45 USD. Over here in Oz it's $70 USD plus. For me, the fact that the game has zero resale value is a big turn off.

I tend to prefer deep games that can be explored over a longer period of time, so one-shot play-throughs don't appeal in general. That also eliminates Time Stories for me.

On another note, Caverna is one of my favourites. Talking of value however, I wish they had published two versions: the full 1-7 player version and a smaller, cheaper version for 1-4 players. I'm not saying it's bad value, but I doubt I am alone in that I will never play Caverna with more than 4. So, paying for that huge mound of cardboard I will never use is a bit rough.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think in our hobby we have to break away from the thought that we only pay for the materials and the stuff in the box when we buy a game and have to realize that we are actually buying an idea, an experience and an extensive development process along with all the cardboard and stuff.

Still, this knowledge doesn't justify some crazy prices for certain games but at least for me it makes it easier and more understandable why a lot of games have some big price tags on them.

TIME Stories a great example for that. Even though it's only a one-shot I can't wait to get my copy played - fully knowing that it is over for me after doing so.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I will throw money at a game, because I'm an impulse buyer. Case in point I spent boatload on Blood Rage KS + 5th player expansion in late late pledge which had big shipping charge. Some regrets there as it hasn't even shipped yet. Or Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport which I don't think has enough in the box for the price.

I either see something and buy it or I start to contemplate and usually decide against spending money.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When making a decision whether or not to buy a game, I take no consideration of what is contained within the box. I will buy a game either because it will get to the table a lot with the groups that I play with, or it will provide such an amazing experience when it does that I don't care whether I get my money's worth. The physical components impact neither of those considerations.

Race for the Galaxy is easily the most cost effective game that I own, despite the fact that the cost is disproportionate compared to the contents. Per gaming hour, it is the cheapest game that I own, despite the fact that I've bought 2 base games and 2 expansions.

Indonesia cost £100, and contains as many components as several other £35 games. I don't regret purchasing, even though it is going to be reprinted later this year and the price will plummet. I can see myself still playing it in 20 years time.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Citrus

I would own it if I could pay what I want to. I want to pay $40 max shipped.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jhNz wrote:
Well, I think in our hobby we have to break away from the thought that we only pay for the materials and the stuff in the box when we buy a game and have to realize that we are actually buying an idea, an experience and an extensive development process along with all the cardboard and stuff.

Still, this knowledge doesn't justify some crazy prices for certain games but at least for me it makes it easier and more understandable why a lot of games have some big price tags on them.

TIME Stories a great example for that. Even though it's only a one-shot I can't wait to get my copy played - fully knowing that it is over for me after doing so.


I view that as a cop out to excuse the price in most cases. Time stories is an exception, as is dixit style games because you are paying for lots of unique art and story. I don't view a cinema ticket as a total rip off when I leave with nothing.

Certain companies (no names as this isn't name and shame time) always seem to charge more than I feel the game is worth when comparing it's components and art to other similar games. I'm also paying for the design and art in other more affordable games, to suggest that certain games should be priced higher for this implies that the cheaper games have less creative skill which I don't think you were aiming for. I won't buy the (imo) over priced games on principle.

This overpricing is not a mysterious strawman either. Compare the price on the different versions of Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends did the first edition deserve sales at double the seconds price? Well that's subjective.
1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a very basic calculation to see if I get value.

If I (just me) play for 1 hour / £1 then it is a great value game.

The Acceptable value for me is £5 / hour.

So If I feel I will get excellent value from something (my group just bough Pandemic Legacy between us) I am happy to pay for it.

If I feel a game is fast but I will have it for a long time (Love letter, Sushi Go, Hive) then I am fine it may take years to get what I think of as value from it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Livett
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I've tried to get better at this lately. Certainly when I started board gaming a couple years ago I impulse bought so much. But lately I'm trying to make sure I actually get more value from the games.

An example, I traded away a very good condition copy of Mission: Red Planet (with Chrononauts) I got hold of last year, in exchange for a few commonplace abstract strategy games that seemed like they'd actually get played and especially be worthwhile for my girlfriend and I to play together.

I can't feel bummed about it - those new games have got a combined 26 plays over the whole one game of M:RP I had.

In that instance it wasn't so much about things in the box being worth it, but just the experience I could get from them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What you do with games afterwards is a different story.
Even though I have room for more games I'm already looking to get rid of games that I feel will only gather dust. Yet I still buy them
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Livett
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
hybry wrote:
What you do with games afterwards is a different story.
Even though I have room for more games I'm already looking to get rid of games that I feel will only gather dust. Yet I still buy them


Christmas especially will impact my shelves. And I've already seen others I want to get hold of >_<
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scott3387 wrote:
Are there any games you like the look of but refuse to buy purely based on the cost?

Yes, I do that quite often. Then I either wait for some significant discount or just let it go. I waited over an year to get Hyperborea, for example (and now, in Black Fridey sales, it's even much cheaper than what I paid). The same thing happened with Orcs Orcs Orcs, except that I didn't have to wait so long. I never bought Eclipse because of the price. I'm not getting T.I.M.E Stories for the current price, either (in this case, it's overpriced because of the lack of replayability, not components).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I answer the actual question, I read above that someone didn't feel they could re-sell Pandemic Legacy. I read somewhere else that you could re-sell it as basic Pandemic afterwards, is that not the case?

Anyways, I do not care about the price as long as the game will get played and is fun for my group. I bought Caverna for 74.99 and felt crazy but I felt that we would really enjoy the game and that it had great replay value. We played it three times before it was replaced my other games we enjoy more. I just sold the game for $70. But back to the original question, I don't have any kind of equation to figure out if I can allow a purchase or not but I feel I know my gaming group well enough to know what will work or not. So far, out of 70+ games, there has only been a handful of misses and I was able to sell those games for a few dollars less than what I payed(Board Game re-sale value,at least where I live, is top notch).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some things I've been very happy to resell (Germany Kingdom builder + exp for £20 more than I paid for them) but most games that I play (medium-heavy euros) don't have the market to get my money back. I'm not going to get what I paid for it because it's not in shrink and then have to pay for postage and cuts from ebay and the like. Yes I could see it as a 'rental' fee but most rental stores don't have the hassle that reselling does.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you found the UK Board Game Trading group on Facebook. You can sell games quickly and for a decent price on there. Well worth a look. I managed to sell about 30 games there earlier this year and most of them sold in 4 hours
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Livett
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
DAAAN wrote:
Have you found the UK Board Game Trading group on Facebook. You can sell games quickly and for a decent price on there. Well worth a look. I managed to sell about 30 games there earlier this year and most of them sold in 4 hours


Cheers for that shout! Just sent a request to join, assuming I found the right group!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you mean value instead of worth.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jhNz wrote:
Well, I think in our hobby we have to break away from the thought that we only pay for the materials and the stuff in the box when we buy a game and have to realize that we are actually buying an idea, an experience and an extensive development process along with all the cardboard and stuff.

Still, this knowledge doesn't justify some crazy prices for certain games but at least for me it makes it easier and more understandable why a lot of games have some big price tags on them.

We're paying a lot of $$ for what's essentially wood, cardboard, plastic, and ink. However, the OP mentioned "value", but never tied that value into being the costs of the components alone for Champions of Midgard, nor for other games. Unless I missed something, then for the purposes of this thread, I think we can assume that gamers are looking at a value of a game as the cost of the materials, playtesting, design, artwork, marketing (going to cons to promote and advertise), and other factors. Not just the materials.



For me, whether I can get it played or not is another important factor. Because I'm down to a bi-weekly gaming group where they're set in some ways with limited flexibility to try new things, but nothing "too much", and each person already having a decent # of games to bring to the table... that makes most game purchases a no-go for me. Plus, there's the additional hassle of having to sell games in a remote location, and otherwise dealing with those boxes if I have to move.

Case in point.... I'd really like to try out the Ambitions exp for Roll For The Galaxy. The guy with the base game says he's interested in getting it, but 1) at $40, it is rather pricy, and 2) he's got other games ahead of the queue.

IDK... I'm thinking about making a deal with him... I give him $5 to $10 towards the purchase of that exp. He gets to keep it. However, him and the group have to agree that we'll get in at least 2 to 5 games with the exp, otherwise, I get my money back. Guarantying a game gets played x # of times would solve issues of games not getting played, and is cheaper than spending the $$ myself for nothing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scott3387 wrote:
Are you the type of person who will throw all the money (within reason of course) at a game because you like the look of it or have you ever decided that you simply didn't get enough in the box to be worth it?

Over the last week I've been eyeing Champions of Midgard. Its worker placement, I love waterdeep and I like the theme, sounds great. Problem is it’s also £40 (~$60 inc tax). I don’t care how great the reviews are I’m not going to pay that for a 2-4 player game with some custom dice. I can get Blood Rage for ‘only’ £53 and view that as ‘better’ value for money.

Are there any games you like the look of but refuse to buy purely based on the cost (not counting collectors editions like War of the Ring)?

p.s. It confuses me why some games seem much better value than other but then I look at the US price for CoM and find you can get it for $34-39 (before tax?). I assume some games we just get shafted on more than others.
Games are fickle like that, just like with everything else on the market....

Ticket To Ride costs as much many medium set euros. However, TtR is still much lighter than the latter, so that does give it more "value"/"worth" if it can get played more often.
Akin to how a salad costs as much as a cheeseburger, but a salad is "lighter"

Many brands of dog food that are more expensive aren't necessarily better. They just spend more on marketing and the packaging

For stuff like wine, they may be able to get away with selling inferior tasting wine b/c they simply have the folks lining up to buy it, vs. other wine that's better, and even better value for the money

War games tend to sell for more $$ and be lower in quality since they have that niche market. Like comparing daytime soap operas to TV shows on prime time
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Components have very little impact on whether I will pay for a game or not. Enjoyment potential is the big factor. There has been 1 game I have not bought due to cost, it was Splendor (42$ CAD). I also did not really get grabbed by that app, so it is likely no loss. If I was sufficiently interested in the game, I suppose the cost would wash out, as whether a game is 'worth it' depends on how often it is played, and how much it is enjoyed.

My best purchase, that was most worthwhile, was probably Dominant Species, for 73 CAD.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not typically look at components. I learnt my lesson the hard way with not buying Through the Ages. It ended up being bought by a friend, and has since been the most played game he has. My best guess would be a few cents per hour of play time.

As others have stated, if I can get my dollar per play down to a certain point, I feel the game is well worth it. So if the game costs 10.00 and I get it to 1 dollar per play, that is awesome, but not as good as if I can get a 100.00 dollar game to 1 dollar per play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
England
Newcastle under lyme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy quite a few games each year in the £40-£70 price range but I justify it to myself because I used to drink/smoke which cost me around £30 per week and I had absolutely nothing to show for it but now I spend a similar amount on games each week instead but if I wished I could get about two thirds of my money back by selling them so I guess it is slightly about your mindset.
If you pay £60 but get £40 back after enjoying the game for 12 months is it really so bad? If you are a collector however I guess you might have a problem.
PS Go for Blood Rage it is a superb game and you can get the 5th player expansion and the game is still balanced
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skazzz wrote:
I buy quite a few games each year in the £40-£70 price range but I justify it to myself because I used to drink/smoke which cost me around £30 per week and I had absolutely nothing to show for it but now I spend a similar amount on games each week instead but if I wished I could get about two thirds of my money back by selling them so I guess it is slightly about your mindset.
If you pay £60 but get £40 back after enjoying the game for 12 months is it really so bad? If you are a collector however I guess you might have a problem.
PS Go for Blood Rage it is a superb game and you can get the 5th player expansion and the game is still balanced
Since I don't spend the money I used to on games, not by a long shot, I'm back to donating to BGG. Blocking ads and having access to the Viewed items in your subscription lists is working out to be quite useful too!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scott3387 wrote:
Over the last week I've been eyeing Champions of Midgard. Its worker placement, I love waterdeep and I like the theme, sounds great. Problem is it’s also £40 (~$60 inc tax). I don’t care how great the reviews are I’m not going to pay that for a 2-4 player game with some custom dice. I can get Blood Rage for ‘only’ £53 and view that as ‘better’ value for money.


Like you I won't buy a game if it doesn't seem 'worth it'. But worth is more than just what you get for your money. I have happily paid over the odds for a game that gave me the theme, artwork, or game-play I was looking for. On the other hand I've also refused to buy other good games because they were were 40 euros or more for 'a card game'.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall thinking Escape was very expensive (it was $90 NZD at the time) and didn't want to buy it as it only lasted 10 minutes! When someone bought me a $50 gift card to a game store for my birthday I bought it (obviously paying $40) as I thought that it was a good opportunity to try something different. I really like it and it is very popular with friends. I have probably gotten my money's worth out of it by now (even if I had paid $90 myself).

I probably do have a set of qualifiers for the value of a game but am not really aware of them, I think my evaluation of a game just comes by thinking about it, thinking of the likelihood it'll get played (based on current group) etc. One thing I know I consider though is: with heavy/long games I take a very long time to consider the title before acquiring it. This is because we don't often play lengthy games so each one I acquire will take away from the number of times I get to play my other heavy/longer games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.