Intya Del
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is a question that has already been asked in the forums, but the difference is that I plan on buying them both at some point. However, I can only buy one cycle for now, and having read that Heirs' difficulty is over the top I was thinking that maybe I should skip it for now and buy Voice and Ring-maker first. My questions are:
-Are the quests of Voice and Ring-maker as difficult as the quests in Heirs and Against the Shadow or are they a bit easier?
-With the card pool from VoI and Ring-maker would I be better prepared to face Heirs and Against the Shadow or it helps little?
-Finally, I wanted to buy all the expansion and APs in publication order. So my question is, would playing VoI first, take something out of the experience?(for instance would the quests in Heirs seem less interesting with older mechanics?)

Thinking too much about it probably, but can't help it...shake

p.s I already have the core set, mirkwood, khazad dum and dwarrowdelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voice of isengard is my fav orcs and undeads

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player cards:
Heirs of Númenor beats Voice of Isengard in my opinion, but the doomed mechanic in VoI is certainly very interesting.

However, I'd argue that the Ring-Maker cycle is the first power-creep we've seen in this game (not counting Outlands) and its player cards are definitely stronger than Against the Shadow's.

Quests:
Heirs is certainly difficult, but not unbeatable, certainly not with easy mode available. The Ring-Maker quests are arguably even worse.
I can't really say which one I liked more, without getting into...

Theme:
Do you like
Gondor or rangers? Go with Heirs of Númenor & Against the Shadow.
Rohan or elves? Go with Voice of Isengard & Ring-Maker.

You won't miss out by getting VoI before HoN, so don't worry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because you do own Mirkwood and Dwarrodelf, Heirs will be very difficult but beatable even in Normal Mode.

I had a lot of fun with HoN. The quests are very challenging and satisfying when you beat them. With the whole cardpool up to that point at hand you will have a tough but fun time, I think. If you want to give yourself a little advantage buy the whole cycle at once and use all the new player cards of all the new packs too. Don't get me wrong, you will get beaten up hard by those quests, but you will also have the possibility to beat them back.
If you hear stories of HoN being too difficult it is probably mostly because those players just own a limited card pool or only a core set.

So I would say just go in publicaton order and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenton Roberts
China
LiJiang
Yunan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a win win either way. They are all great cycles! You may want to look at what type of decks you are wanting to build or expand and decide on player cards. Rohan or silvan or Gondor or which heroes you want to build around. For me personally The voice of isengard was a blast and made me really rethink my approach to the game. But they are all fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Brandt
United States
Pittsburg
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went in publication order. Just completed HoN and Against the Shadow so I cannot speak to VoI.

What I can say is this. I had both Hobbit expansions and The Black Riders. There are some key cards in those sets which got me through HoN. The Hobbit heroes are excellent for splashing spheres with low threat. Dagger of Westernesse is excellent. Elf-stone is nuts. Foe-Hammer and Goblin-Cleaver are great. Also A Very Good Tale helps that Leadership-only Gondor themed deck you'll feel compelled to create.

I did not see The Hobbit and Black Riders in your card pool list. You may want to look into those before heading on to HoN or VoI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Brandt
United States
Pittsburg
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yes HoN is tough but it did something I had not seen in another cycle yet. It made a solo tactics deck viable and I had a ton of fun with mono tactics in HoN.

I also tend to play each block at once. I'm just now ordering VoI and Ring Maker. I build my decks with all the cards from that pool at the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Intya Del
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info everyone! Probably I'm going to go with publication order as both VoI and Heirs seem to have approximately the same difficulty. I was already thinking of buying the saga boxes so maybe it's time to do that as well. Dan, I also build my decks from the whole pool of cards provided with the expansion and the APs. I think that way you can build more wholesome decks from the beginning, instead of waiting to use the cards of an AP when doing that quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.