Popular Tags: [View All]
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own CD1, CD2, CD3 and the supplements. I'm a bit reluctant of paying $45-$50 for yet another re-hashed version. Are there an reviews or detailed comments from folks with CD4 - Test of Battle experience???

I understand there is now a point system to create scenarios that are balanced. Is this a good system and does it work well? Does the point system make this version worth buying???

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mehrholz
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any experience with previous editions, and haven't even finished reading this one yet, so I can't really answer your questions.

You might try browsing the forums at www.testofbattle.com. You might also find a couple of threads on theminiaturespage.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most marked difference is that a unit only fires once per turn. You can fire in Op Fire (if eligible) gaining one additional round to your ROF, General Fire or Close Fire. Damage caused affects units so that if a unit takes damage from Op Fire - the unit suffers the consequences before it can fire in General Fire. Artillery is weaker - no area through which units can be disrupted simply by moving through them. Fog of War (FoW) adds the ability to break, bend or otherwise avoid some rule conditions for select units. My group uses mostly CD2 with FoW and one fire per turn per CD4. Like you, spending the extra cash doesn't seem worth the trouble.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day all,

A few more bits..

Turns take about 15 minutes

Artillery suppresses enemies - which reduces their ability to hit.. hence artillery preping before an assault is a good thing!

Dame is "instant" (Elim/FB/No Effect) rather than "progressing" ( yellow-red-dead), with better quality troops less likely to be degraded by enemy fire (better at avoiding and/or higher resiliance)

data charts are simplified.

While the core rules use fog of war cards and all units on table - I prefer hidden movement etc and few if any FOW.

Spotting is Deterministic - ie at x you see y..

Over-all - I'm biased - I prefer TOB to v1-3, and wish I had more time to play.

ps. Visit www.testofbattle.com - the forum is a fantastic source of info and help on all manner of WW2 gaming...

pps. I understand that their is to be a cheaper rules only set out soon - for those who have suppliments and TOEs etc..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Tunesi
Switzerland
flag msg tools
I have to correct you, now Command Decision turn correspond to 30 minutes of time.

Damaging is instant but you have to take into account morale checks and suppression by fire. All units hit by H or HC type ammunition are automatically suppressed, in the advanced rules state that even with support weapons fire, the shooter can decide that one of the units under the "area Fire" of 4 inches is suppressed. All the units hit or moving through indirect fire template are suppressed.

And all the units that are shot at must check morale. And under bad circumstances it can result in forced back - pinned - shaken - demoralized and eliminated.

I honestly don't know old versions of CD, but in this one the units are resilient based on their training (a green unit has less chances to survive then an elite unit) and their morale. And bad training usually goes with bad morale, in that case units are very subjected to die or to surrender
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.