Bottom of the 9th» Forums » Rules

Subject: Intentional Walk? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Locke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Does the option to intentionally walk the batter exist in this game?

Say for instance I'm playing the Visiting Team, and I really don't like the matchup against the batter at the plate and would rather not risk heavy fatigue. Can I intentionally walk the batter (putting him/her on first base for free)?

If so, do I recover fatigue as usual, or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several strategic options that we left out for the time being, so there currently isn't a way to intentionally walk someone outside of pitcher abilities.

I'd encourage baseball fans to house-rule anything like intentional walks, stealing, etc. We'll likely have some official advanced rules posted after we sort out the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sims
United States
Bryant
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
So much for Pathos...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, I would think it unlikely that a visiting team tied into the bottom of the ninth would put anyone on base intentionally as a base runner represents the winning run. Only perhaps to set-up the double play if that would get them out of the inning.

I don't believe a double play is modeled in this game anyway.

Sorry - not trying to be a nasty stickler or anything...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSims wrote:
Thematically, I would think it unlikely that a visiting team tied into the bottom of the ninth would put anyone on base intentionally as a base runner represents the winning run. Only perhaps to set-up the double play if that would get them out of the inning.

I don't believe a double play is modeled in this game anyway.

Sorry - not trying to be a nasty stickler or anything...
A double ply is only one of several reasons to walk someone in the bottom of the 9th in a tie game.

Getting to a hitter that might be an easier out. Getting by a hitter with a "hot bat" (slightly different than the previous sentence). Getting by a designated hitter or to a pinch hitter. These things might be outside the scope of this game, though. This is not a simulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.