Subject: Scenarios BETA + FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magallian
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed quite a bunch of scenarios are available at the KDM website: http://tools.kingdomdeath.com/

Challenge Scenarios:
- Allison the Twilight Knight
- Candy & Cola
- Adam & Anna: Explorers of Death
- Paul the Savior
- Kara Black
- The Messenger of the First Story
- Aya, the Survivor
- The Messenger of Courage
- The Messenger of Humanity
- The Messenger of the Spiral Path
- Snow the Savior

And an official FAQ also!

(Or have these tools been up for a long time already and I have overlooked?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Joe Bauers
United States
flag msg tools
No matter games or life
badge
Honesty over everything
mbmbmb
Huh, some of the FAQ contradicts previous direct answers from Adam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank god, I'm glad they clarified the red saviors. I knew you weren't supposed to roll.

Symmetrical Docking wrote:
Huh, some of the FAQ contradicts previous direct answers from Adam...

What ones are contradicting? I've read through most of it and it all seems correct from what I've emailed and seen posted here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Joe Bauers
United States
flag msg tools
No matter games or life
badge
Honesty over everything
mbmbmb
Remember the kickstarter update where you need two kicks to form an infinite cycle?

The FAQ says just one does it fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I missed that one. Hmm, that's dumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Character record is sweet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ksiazekrzysztof wrote:

+1

That thing looks awesome! I'll plan on using that for my campaign, different tabs for different survivors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a ton for pointing that out! New toys to play with this weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot! These look fun. The piranha hat, especially, looks like a must for me to go for. Kind of sad you can't gain the petal lantern, too, though.

I had been worried that these would invalidate home brew rules for the messengers that I put up in the variant section, but it looks like I could play both the official rules and the home brew with no real contradiction. I'm tickled by that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derrickec wrote:
ksiazekrzysztof wrote:

+1

That thing looks awesome! I'll plan on using that for my campaign, different tabs for different survivors.

Yeah, very cool. I wish there were tabs for solo players to keep track of 4 survivors at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember the kickstarter update where you need two kicks to form an infinite cycle?

Seriously, what the hell...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
derrickec wrote:
ksiazekrzysztof wrote:

+1

Yup, truly awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Octopus
msg tools
dorktron2000 wrote:

Aren't cards in play technically outside of the deck? Like if you do a wound while the last card in the deck is being resolved, there are no cards to remove from the deck, and the monster dies.

How is the card in question worded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultros64 wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:

Aren't cards in play technically outside of the deck? Like if you do a wound while the last card in the deck is being resolved, there are no cards to remove from the deck, and the monster dies.

Yeah, the FAQ covers both cases but says that if the last AI card ends with "Draw an AI card" than an infinite loop is created. Before, Poots said it took 2 cards to form an infinite loop but this says only 1.

"Yes. A card is resolved when there are no actions left on it to perform. However, "If an AI card contains an action to 'draw AI,' complete any applicable actions on the current AI card before drawing and playing a new AI card" (p.69, Core Game Book). Thus, cards that end with this text are resolved in the following order:

1. Play card
2. Reach Draw AI action on card
3. Card is resolved and discarded
4. Draw AI action is performed

If the last cards in the monster's AI deck instruct it to "draw AI," it will continue to draw and play them over and over again until it kills everyone or performs its instinct. Keep an eye on the monster's discard pile to ensure this doesn't happen to you!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
Ultros64 wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:

Yeah, the FAQ covers both cases but says that if the last AI card ends with "Draw an AI card" than an infinite loop is created. Before, Poots said it took 2 cards to form an infinite loop but this says only 1.

"Yes. A card is resolved when there are no actions left on it to perform. However, "If an AI card contains an action to 'draw AI,' complete any applicable actions on the current AI card before drawing and playing a new AI card" (p.69, Core Game Book). Thus, cards that end with this text are resolved in the following order:

1. Play card

If the last cards in the monster's AI deck instruct it to "draw AI," it will continue to draw and play them over and over again until it kills everyone or performs its instinct. Keep an eye on the monster's discard pile to ensure this doesn't happen to you!"

A thing to keep in mind if this ever happens is that you can generally surge in-between the Butcher's move and attack, and if you wound him he dies. Trying to hold on to on survival on at least one character and gunning surge early seems valuable for evading infinite combos like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if it wouldn't work to introduce these into the game via a special Challenge Scenario roll or something during each Settlement phase. Maybe something like this:

Roll d10, on a Lantern result, roll 2d6:

2 Allison the Twilight Knight
3 Candy & Cola
4 Adam & Anna: Explorers of Death
5 Paul the Savior
6 Kara Black
7 The Messenger of the First Story
8 Aya, the Survivor
9 The Messenger of Courage
10 The Messenger of Humanity
11 The Messenger of the Spiral Path
12 Snow the Savior

I just don't like the idea of arbitrarily picking Challenge scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or...just roll a d12. Any local board game store should have one for sale for like $.25 tops 2d6 is going to be a bell curve towards 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yea, you'll just have to assign 1 of the results to either a reroll or "Nothing" or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like these ideas. I also would rather have them part of the campaign, rather than a one-off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple options I'm considering (pending in depth reading of the challenges):

1) An additional settlement event for each challenge, shuffled into the deck.

2) Seperate additional deck drawn once per settlement phase, with about Half the cards as "no challenge event".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jam Warrior
msg tools
Seriously? The infinite AI loop which had a perfectly reasonable answer before, has now become a thing again?

How stupid. Ignoring that answer and sticking to the original thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zamnath wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:
Ultros64 wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:

1. Play card

A thing to keep in mind if this ever happens is that you can generally surge in-between the Butcher's move and attack, and if you wound him he dies. Trying to hold on to on survival on at least one character and gunning surge early seems valuable for evading infinite combos like that.

First time I fought the butcher he made my whole group frenzied so they couldn't use survival anyway..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having now read the challenge scenarios, I am overall disappointed.

Too many seem to rest on having an experience of playing a special character, rather than being something more tied to the settlement. I read the Alison one and thought, yeah pretty good, but it went downhill from there.

I don't like the gear cards, particularly the "hoodie", ick. The cop baton, the cola bottle....these don't fit with KDM to me.

To be honest, it all feels like a wasted opportunity - and often a bit too "silly" for the gritty world that KDM is. I was all excited for these, now i doubt I will use more than one or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
Having now read the challenge scenarios, I am overall disappointed.

Too many seem to rest on having an experience of playing a special character, rather than being something more tied to the settlement. I read the Alison one and thought, yeah pretty good, but it went downhill from there.

I don't like the gear cards, particularly the "hoodie", ick. The cop baton, the cola bottle....these don't fit with KDM to me.

To be honest, it all feels like a wasted opportunity - and often a bit too "silly" for the gritty world that KDM is. I was all excited for these, now i doubt I will use more than one or two.

Interesting, because I always imagined that the one-shots were going to be pretty much exactly what got released - side stories outside of the campaign. So I'm very happy with the way Adam is leaning here.

Also, my understanding was that all the art is placeholder. They aren't going to be printed with those graphics in the final versions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:

Interesting, because I always imagined that the one-shots were going to be pretty much exactly what got released - side stories outside of the campaign. So I'm very happy with the way Adam is leaning here.

It's a taste thing, definitely - nothing wrong with them per se, but KDM plays very much as the story of the settlement, rather than the individuals - these seem to take the balance the other way. Maybe it's a balance thing, and I can see how that shift would please a lot of people. Just not my cup of tea.

Elyklord wrote:

Also, my understanding was that all the art is placeholder. They aren't going to be printed with those graphics in the final versions

I sure hope so. Art is a HUGE part of this game, the art on a lot of the betas is just SO out of place, it's jarring. The abilities seem fairly reasonable, albeit some seem a bit overpowered (will need to play to be sure), so it's very much the art that is turning me off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.