Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Catan» Forums » General

Subject: What the heck is the difference between these two versions on Amazon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Shaver
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Catan 5th Edition
http://www.amazon.com/Mayfair-Games-MFG-3071-Edition/dp/B00U...
$44.09

The Settlers of Catan
http://www.amazon.com/Mayfair-Games-MFG3061-Settlers-Catan/d...
$73.95

The first one is in stock and seems to have the 5th edition box art. But the second one has a lot more reviews.

Thanks for any ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian. What could be more absurd than the concept of an "all Canadian" boy or girl? A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate. Pierre Elliott Trudeau
mbmbmbmbmb
FutureSpec wrote:
Catan 5th Edition
http://www.amazon.com/Mayfair-Games-MFG-3071-Edition/dp/B00U...
$44.09

The Settlers of Catan
http://www.amazon.com/Mayfair-Games-MFG3061-Settlers-Catan/d...
$73.95

The first one is in stock and seems to have the 5th edition box art. But the second one has a lot more reviews.

Thanks for any ideas.

Catan 5th edition is the current edition and is readily available. The Settlers of Catan listed is the 4th edition and is sold by another person or company through Amazon. Some buyers may prefer the 4th edition and be willing to pay the higher price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shaver
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Australia
flag msg tools
mb

What is the difference between the older version and the 5th edition apart from the different box design? I think I have 4th edition but not sure - I bought the games in the past few years and it says 3061 on the base game box.

Are the materials exactly the same and no variations such as colour, thickness, quality?

I have the older (4th edition???) version of Catan (base game), C&K, T&B and would like to buy the Exploreres & Pirates expansion but I'm not sure whether my local game store sells the old edition or just the new 5th edition. I don't want to have a mix match of different quality pieces.

Will I notice any differences between the game pieces? Is it best to seek out the older version of the expansion?

Hopefully someone can get back to me ASAP.... *Cough* Christmas Present!

P.S. I was looking at a thread mentioning colour mismatch of tiles in E&P - Read here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21289917#21289917

Was this issue fixed in the 5th edition or does it affect both editions?

Many Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Gerard
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
E&P has only 2 editions 1st and 2nd. They correspond to Catan Editions 4th and 5th.

The difference between E&P 1 and E&P 2 is that the standard terrain art matches either Catan 4 or Catan 5. It is otherwise the same.

Note that Catan 4 was produced using two diffrent manufactures. The original (for most of the printings) used thinner cardboard but the quality of printing and cutting was excellent. When they started producing E&P they thought they needed thicker cardboard and switched everything over to a different manufacture. The newer Catan 4 have thicker cardboard but poor printing and cutting. Catan 5 is just the same as newer Catan 4 except they changed the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
rainbowrose wrote:
E&P has only 2 editions 1st and 2nd. They correspond to Catan Editions 4th and 5th.

The difference between E&P 1 and E&P 2 is that the standard terrain art matches either Catan 4 or Catan 5. It is otherwise the same.

Note that Catan 4 was produced using two diffrent manufactures. The original (for most of the printings) used thinner cardboard but the quality of printing and cutting was excellent. When they started producing E&P they thought they needed thicker cardboard and switched everything over to a different manufacture. The newer Catan 4 have thicker cardboard but poor printing and cutting. Catan 5 is just the same as newer Catan 4 except they changed the art.

Thanks for the reply. So is there any way of knowing which is the old and which is the newer stock of the 4th edition prior to purchase? I.e. Anything on the box to distinguish?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Gerard
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BC2014 wrote:
rainbowrose wrote:

Thanks for the reply. So is there any way of knowing which is the old and which is the newer stock of the 4th edition prior to purchase? I.e. Anything on the box to distinguish?

Thanks

No way to tell by looking at the outside of the box. The boxes look identical. The newer 4th edition weights more because of the thicker cardboard but I don't know how much either should weigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.