Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alec D.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know this list has been done a bazillion times but I think it's always good fun and helps promote some otherwise lesser known games. I know that in previous lists there are a lot of "is this game actually a wargame?" type debates but this particular list is intended to be liberally interpreted.

Game 5.
Triumph & Tragedy
Newest game on my list. There aren't too many fun 3 player games out there, but Triumph and Tragedy pulls it off. Fun sandbox WW2 game with interesting diplomacy mechanisms. It's a very easy game to learn but there are a lot of ways to approach each power and there seems to be multiple viable winning strategies per faction.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/130960/triumph-tragedy

Game 4
Napoleon's Triumph
Not an easy game to learn, but one that's worth the effort. It sort of plays halfway between an abstract and purely tactical wargame, but every mechanic is elegantly integrated. I know most wargamers typically don't care very much about components but this game is game is exceptionally pretty.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18098/napoleons-triumph

Game 3
Maria
I must have played this game nearly 20 times. It's a wargame with very little luck, and there is a lot of strategy in every move you make, every card you play and intriguingly every card you don't play.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40354/maria

Game 2
Fire in the Lake
I was never a huge fan of the coin series until this game came out. This is the first of the coin series where I enjoy every faction. The random events are well crafted in that it's important to adapt to them but they alone won't determine the victor.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/144189/fire-lake

Game 1
Virgin Queen
My favorite game ever. I was always felt Here I Stand was a great game as long as you weren't playing one of the two religious powers in which case it was merely a very good game. This takes everything I love about here I stand and fixes the few things I wasn't so crazy about, ie the protestant player is actually really fun to play as.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/41066/virgin-queen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5. The Struggle of Nations -- I owned this thing for years. Once a year, I'd read through the rules, set up the game and try to figure out how to play even one turn. Never figured it out. Never got to play against an experienced opponent. In 2004, when I moved into my new house, this was on top of the pile of games that I took to Goodwill. I loved this game because it represented everything I wanted to do in wargaming. It still represents the increasing number of unplayed games that sit on my shelves today.

4. War of 1812 -- I like blockgames and this is the first one I ever played. I love it because it's easy to teach and play. You can play it in a bit over an hour. I could play it over and over, switching sides after each play.

3. Up Front -- only recently obtained and played three times, but it's so good that it made my top five instantly.

2. Napoleon's Triumph -- it's giving my number one a challenge, the more I play it. Love this game.

1. Rommel in the Desert -- yes, I'm sentimental about this game, but when I played it again a couple of weeks ago I remembered that there is substance to my hyperbole. Don't believe me? My opponent: "I forgot how much I love this game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5. Paths of Glory
4. Empire of the Sun
3. Breakout Normandy
2. Fields of Fire
1. Advanced Squad Leader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In no particular order:

Up Front
Washington's War/We the People
A House Divided
Hannibal:Rome vs. Carthage
Rommel in the Desert

Though EastFront looks like I may like it enough to go up here, but haven't had a chance to push its blocks yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rimmer
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In no order

Ambush
Up Front
Wings of War\Glory
Fields of Fire
Warbirds:Canvas Falcons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadgr
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

5) Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
4) Commands and Colors: Napoleonics
3) Julius Caesar
2) Combat Commander
1) Commands and Colors: Ancients
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
5. Julius Caesar. My entry point into wargaming.
4. Paths of Glory. The longest wargame I've attempted so far. Turns out it's not actually that complex, just long. And incredibly engaging.
3. Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage. Just edges out PoG, due to the setting and its more practical length.
2. Commands & Colors: Ancients. There may be a slight pro-ancients bias in my list. Possibly not the most accurate simulation even devised, but great fun.
1. Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan. A brilliant, elegant design that produces an incredibly tense game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
My top 5 as of today:

5. Shifting Sands: Mike Rinella is known for Area-Impulse, but he sure made a doozy of a CDG.

4. Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles (or Ghost Panzer): Ever since I played Squad Leader some 30+ years ago, I have been looking for this game.

3. Hands in the Sea: No, it is not out yet, but I do own my play test copy and my Vassal module, so that's good enough for me. Love this game.

2. Empire of the Sun: A brain burner that transcends gaming.

1. Washington's War: Mark Herman, George Washington, and the Card Driven Mechanism. Throw in K-State season football tickets and it would be the greatest thing ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5) Guns of Gettysburg
4) Here I Stand
3) Napoleon's Triumph
2) Maria
1) ASL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Sarnacki
Poland
Wyszków
Mazowsze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilderness War
Successors III
The Caucasus Campaign
Storm Over Normandy
A Distant Plain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mine keep shifting;

5 Empire of the Sun
4 OCS Burma
3 The Korean War
2 Tide of Fortune (not a hipster pick, i do actually love this game despite its crap development).
1 Sekigahara
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Crompton
United Kingdom
St Helens
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Ambush!
2. Fire in the Lake
3. Combat Commander
4. Normandy '44
5. Barbarossa to Berlin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
5. For the People
4. Paths of Glory
3. Maria
2. Here I Stand
1. Virgin Queen

Diplomatic wargames are basically my favorite things ever, and as my picks reflect I tend to prefer grand strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Advanced Squad Leader

2 - Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage

3 - Napoleon's Triumph

4 - D-Day at Omaha Beach

5 - Waterloo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Napoleon's Triumph
2. Empire of the Sun
3. Twilight Struggle
4. Maria
5. Clash of Monarchs

Lots of CDG's and at the strategic level. I am expecting PoG to make the list just haven't gotten the chance to playing it. I own FtP but not sure I will like it, I prefer split decks and one of my major knocks against WW. The first 3 are super close while 4/5 are place holders till I get more games played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Classy Andrew
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ultimos604 wrote:
I know this list has been done a bazillion times but I think it's always good fun and helps promote some otherwise lesser known games. I know that in previous lists there are a lot of "is this game actually a wargame?" type debates but this particular list is intended to be liberally interpreted.

Game 5.
Triumph & Tragedy
Newest game on my list. There aren't too many fun 3 player games out there, but Triumph and Tragedy pulls it off. Fun sandbox WW2 game with interesting diplomacy mechanisms. It's a very easy game to learn but there are a lot of ways to approach each power and there seems to be multiple viable winning strategies per faction.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/130960/triumph-tragedy

Game 4
Napoleon's Triumph
Not an easy game to learn, but one that's worth the effort. It sort of plays halfway between an abstract and purely tactical wargame, but every mechanic is elegantly integrated. I know most wargamers typically don't care very much about components but this game is game is exceptionally pretty.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18098/napoleons-triumph

Game 3
Maria
I must have played this game nearly 20 times. It's a wargame with very little luck, and there is a lot of strategy in every move you make, every card you play and intriguingly every card you don't play.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40354/maria

Game 2
Fire in the Lake
I was never a huge fan of the coin series until this game came out. This is the first of the coin series where I enjoy every faction. The random events are well crafted in that it's important to adapt to them but they alone won't determine the victor.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/144189/fire-lake

Game 1
Virgin Queen
My favorite game ever. I was always felt Here I Stand was a great game as long as you weren't playing one of the two religious powers in which case it was merely a very good game. This takes everything I love about here I stand and fixes the few things I wasn't so crazy about, ie the protestant player is actually really fun to play as.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/41066/virgin-queen

You sir have good taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evelin Auger
Canada
Portneuf
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5- Full métal planète
4- Napoleon's triumph
3- Série La bataille
2- OCS
1- Vol de l'aigle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My top five:

5-I Will Fight No More... Forever
4-Commands & Colors: Ancients
3-Cruel Necessity
2-Warriors of God
1-The Peloponnesian War, 431-404 BC

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosecrans man
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5) Nothing Gained But Glory (GMT)
4) Battles With the Gringos (GMT)
3) Adobe Walls (Legion)
2) Brandywine & Germantown (Clash of Arms)
1) This Terrible Sound (Gamers/MMP)

Honorable Mention: Bloody Ridge (Gamers/MMP), Matanikau (Gamers/MMP), Heroes of the Pacific (LNL), This Hallowed Ground (Gamers/MMP)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my VERY limited experience:

1. Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition)
2. Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game
3. Operation Battleaxe: Wavell vs. Rommel, 1941
4. Field Commander: Rommel
5. Panzer Grenadier or Combat Commander: Europe

I've not played either of those enough to tell which I'm going to like more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
In no particular order, and answer may change by tomorrow...

Twilight Struggle
Combat Commander
Here I Stand
Maria/Friedrich
Napoleon's Triumph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like these threads because they display how varied out tastes are--far more interesting than the overall BGG preferences.

5. Whatever Santa Grogs (my first) brings me.

4. Manoeuvre - my introduction to the genre, and still great hand-management fun

3. Baduk/Go - likely my future #1

2. 1989: Dawn of Freedom - geopolitical bliss

1. Cruel Necessity - history steeping like an Irish tea bag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Desert Fox

2. Advanced Pacific Theater of Operations

3. Struggle for Europe

4. Barbarossa: Army Group North

5. Anzio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5. Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan. The best example I've seen of capturing a conflict through mechanics rather than bolted-on chrome.
4. Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?. The best of the games to examine counterinsurgency, and the pinnacle of CDG design.
3. Up Front. Would probably benefit from some judicious streamlining to take out some of its 1980s tendencies, but still the best at capturing the uncertainty of tactical combat, with an emphasis on sound fire and movement tactics.
2. Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer. This is a stand in for the series. The best ratio of simulation to rules overhead you can find.
1. Napoleon's Triumph. It takes a few plays to grok, but I don't think there has ever been a better wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many that vie for this particular appellation, but the ones that consistently make it back to the table are these:

1) Advanced Squad Leader: Beyond Valor: ASL Module 1. Because I'm always teaching somebody how to play the full game and this is where we always start!

2) Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit: Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1. For those that aren't ready for the full game, we start here. The scenarios are really pretty decent for this entry game. So we keep coming back to it!

3) Grand Tactical Series: The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen. My "go to" monster game. Never seem to get tired of it and every time I play it, I want to immediately play it again!

4) Fighting Wings: Whistling Death. I admit it--we tend to play with the "Quick Start Rules" more than anything. Not for everyone, given the heavy plotting involved, but this game still draws me in. By now everyone probably is thinking all I play are tactical games....

5) Turning Point: Stalingrad. I am lucky to have plenty of opponents for this one. Was a play tester for it and still love the psychological aspect for both sides in this game! Time may have passed this one by, but not for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.