Hide
8 Posts

Ghostbusters: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Release Gates Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Finnan
msg tools
I just ran through Campaign 1: Scenario 1 and I'm not 100% certain I am using release gates correctly.

When you roll the Event Die and get a result of a Closed Gate, if a GB has one or more trapped ghost then the lowest class ghost emerges from the GB's space, So far so good. The rules state "Emerging from a gate or any other space counts as movement" and "When a ghost moves through a Ghostbuster, the Ghostbuster gets slimed" so I played the closed Release Gate effect as causing a ghost to emerge on the GB's square, this slimes the ghost buster as its considered movement and then is placed using the PKE template.

My thinking is that once you close your first gate you have a 50/50 chance that any ghosts you have caught will get released unless you deposit them.
You only get two actions so to avoid getting slimed and losing one of your actions next turn you need to perform combat+bank or combat+anything+pass-ghost-manuver.

Now you either have everyone hugging Ecto-1 or you are stuck playing pass the parcel to get ghosts back to ecto-1; treating a single GB as a bank to avoid all the ghosts getting out (better to only release one rather than four).

When playing the scenario I just felt that this made it feel like release gates were penalising you for catching ghosts. It felt really grind and un-fun, so I am unsure if I am playing it correctly. In that playthrough we eventually gave up on shooting ghosts and just ignored them in favour of closing gates.

So i'm interested to see how other people play rules where ghosts emerge from a GB's square and how they tackled the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
You do not get slimed by a ghost leaving your trap and emerging from your space.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Finnan
msg tools
Excellent, thanks for that clarification. We replayed that scenario again and that felt much better

One other thing, if a GB is inside Ecto-1 and a ghost is released from their square, which of the two squares does it use? Would you randomise it or is it players choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Player choice.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Finnan
msg tools
Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Mertens
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each GB lose a ghost. How do you place them around the gate? Do you roll the dice for each of them to place them around the gate? Do you move them or just place them next to the gate? Do they fusion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krissou wrote:
Each GB lose a ghost. How do you place them around the gate? Do you roll the dice for each of them to place them around the gate? Do you move them or just place them next to the gate? Do they fusion?

You should roll the PKE/Direction die for each ghost that is emerging and place them in the appropriate space next to the ghostbuster they are emerging from.

If two Galloping Ghouls, or two Gruesome Twosomes, do happen to land on the same space, they will merge into the next higher-class ghost, per normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Mertens
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.