Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Stronghold (2nd edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Orders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
All that I need is this moment
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I never had the chance to try previous versions of the game, while reading the rules I couldnt understand how orders work.
I mean, you put face down (if you want and can pay) as many orders you can afford and then you reveal them...
1. So you reveal them in any order you want?
2. The space on these order tokens are used to place cubes from your current army on wall to indicate how many times this order will be triggered (e.g exploding orcs)
3. For each face down order you pay one hourglass...right?

Thanks in advance
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When placing orders as an Invader you have two options:
1) Place one order of your choice face up at any wall section, this costs 0 hourglasses or
2) Place as many order tokens as you want face down, one order per wall section and this costs 1 hourglass in total.

The spaces on the order tokens have no meaning as far as I know, just the colour is relevant to differentiate the orders. After the Assault you take all order tokens back to your supply and can decide again in the next round if you want to place one open or many face down orders.

Hope that helps
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
All that I need is this moment
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely it helped Kathrin!!
Although I suppose tha you could easily replace board spot with orders spot .
Those positions on tokens probably mean how many times each effect is triggered
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
athibor wrote:
Although I suppose tha you could easily replace board spot with orders spot .

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, but the number of spaces on the order token are not really related to the number of times the effect is triggered.
On the Goblin Order, there are 4 spots, but all Goblins at the Wall section go Berserk. The Orc Order has 3 spots, but you can detonate as many Orcs as you want, at least one. Only the Troll Order fits with the number of spots on it, 1 Troll can be moved one step closer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iraklis Stratigis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about orders so i think it's better to ask here and not in a new thread. Invader puts order tokens after the maneuvering. Right? Defender can put order tokens anytime? (i have the same question about moving of defender. He moves units anytime in a round?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you're right. The Invader can only put his orders down after the maneuvers are done. And Defenders can move units and use orders any time during their turns, so whenever they can spend hourglasses. You can't move units or use orders as a Defender if you would interrupt an action of the Invader, e.g. in between Invader Maneuvers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitarja wrote:
After the Assault you take all order tokens back to your supply and can decide again in the next round if you want to place one open or many face down orders.

Hope that helps


Are we sure the orders return to the Invader? They aren't removed from the game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they return to the supply of the Invader and aren't removed from the game. I'm pretty sure about that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delta 5.56
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitarja wrote:
Yes, they return to the supply of the Invader and aren't removed from the game. I'm pretty sure about that.


Page 9. Unless.....

The Invader may now give Orders to Units engaged in combat. If possible, at least one Invader Unit must carry out the given Order. If all Units die at a Wall Section with an Order present, remove the Order from the game without resolving the effect.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dawnmage
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitarja wrote:
When placing orders as an Invader you have two options:
1) Place one order of your choice face up at any wall section, this costs 0 hourglasses or
2) Place as many order tokens as you want face down, one order per wall section and this costs 1 hourglass in total.

The spaces on the order tokens have no meaning as far as I know, just the colour is relevant to differentiate the orders. After the Assault you take all order tokens back to your supply and can decide again in the next round if you want to place one open or many face down orders.

Hope that helps


can you re-use a order after it succesfully did somthign? unles thay all die bevore the order is done? so you can explode your orcs multible times?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jsh4u2 wrote:
Kitarja wrote:
Yes, they return to the supply of the Invader and aren't removed from the game. I'm pretty sure about that.


Page 9. Unless.....

The Invader may now give Orders to Units engaged in combat. If possible, at least one Invader Unit must carry out the given Order. If all Units die at a Wall Section with an Order present, remove the Order from the game without resolving the effect.


Taking this literally, ALL units must die - not just those who would have been capable of carrying out the order in order to remove it from thegame. I wonder if this is actually the designer's intent. As hard as it is for the defender to win, and as hard as it is to kill ALL units (if the invader is playing well), I think that if the order is not fulfilled (because all units that could carry out the order were killed before they got a chance), then the order is removed from the game. I think just 1 hourglass is a cheap cost to play 3 powerful orders, so adding some risk of permanently losing an order makes sense to me.

Thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jsh4u2 wrote:
Page 9. Unless.....

The Invader may now give Orders to Units engaged in combat. If possible, at least one Invader Unit must carry out the given Order. If all Units die at a Wall Section with an Order present, remove the Order from the game without resolving the effect.

Interesting, overlooked that so far. Thanks for correcting me

dawnmage wrote:
can you re-use a order after it succesfully did somthign? unles thay all die bevore the order is done? so you can explode your orcs multible times?

You can use the order only once per turn. You put them at a specific wall section and then decide for example how many orcs will detonate. But after that the order is done, it usually returns to the supply and you can use it again in the next round.

truep wrote:
I think just 1 hourglass is a cheap cost to play 3 powerful orders, so adding some risk of permanently losing an order makes sense to me.

Thoughts?

It is an interesting option definitely, but a tough task. I doubt it will happen often, but I will definitely try to achieve that in a future game
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Defender orders can also be removed from the game by the invader's "Possessed" ritual. But the simple way to avoid it is to just not use an order, since the possession stone is removed at the end of the turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delta 5.56
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
truep wrote:
jsh4u2 wrote:
Kitarja wrote:
Yes, they return to the supply of the Invader and aren't removed from the game. I'm pretty sure about that.


Page 9. Unless.....

The Invader may now give Orders to Units engaged in combat. If possible, at least one Invader Unit must carry out the given Order. If all Units die at a Wall Section with an Order present, remove the Order from the game without resolving the effect.


Taking this literally, ALL units must die - not just those who would have been capable of carrying out the order in order to remove it from thegame. I wonder if this is actually the designer's intent. As hard as it is for the defender to win, and as hard as it is to kill ALL units (if the invader is playing well), I think that if the order is not fulfilled (because all units that could carry out the order were killed before they got a chance), then the order is removed from the game. I think just 1 hourglass is a cheap cost to play 3 powerful orders, so adding some risk of permanently losing an order makes sense to me.

Thoughts?


I was thinking the same as you but then I noticed the order in which things resolve. Basically, the defender could kill all the invader units with marksmen, cauldrons, poles, etc before the "order" step comes around. There may be no one left after those steps for the invader.

Page 12

Range combat
Stage 1 - Cannons
Stage 2 - Siege Machines
Stage 3 - Marksmen

Melee combat

Stage 1 - Cauldrons
Stage 2 - Poles
Stage 3 - Orders
Stage 4 - Resolving Strength
Stage 5 - The Hospital


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessie Ulii
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jsh4u2 wrote:
Kitarja wrote:
Yes, they return to the supply of the Invader and aren't removed from the game. I'm pretty sure about that.


Page 9. Unless.....

The Invader may now give Orders to Units engaged in combat. If possible, at least one Invader Unit must carry out the given Order. If all Units die at a Wall Section with an Order present, remove the Order from the game without resolving the effect.


Question about this, if I play the Goblin Fury Order on a wall section with only goblins, and all the goblins die because of the order (and the wall wasn't breached), does that mean that the order is removed from the game? I guess a similar question can be asked about Orc Detonation.

edit: nevermind, I just read the whole paragraph. You remove the order without resolving its effect. That implies that if the order does take effect then you don't remove it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delta 5.56
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaPineapple wrote:
jsh4u2 wrote:
Kitarja wrote:
Yes, they return to the supply of the Invader and aren't removed from the game. I'm pretty sure about that.


Page 9. Unless.....

The Invader may now give Orders to Units engaged in combat. If possible, at least one Invader Unit must carry out the given Order. If all Units die at a Wall Section with an Order present, remove the Order from the game without resolving the effect.


Question about this, if I play the Goblin Fury Order on a wall section with only goblins, and all the goblins die because of the order (and the wall wasn't breached), does that mean that the order is removed from the game? I guess a similar question can be asked about Orc Detonation.

edit: nevermind, I just read the whole paragraph. You remove the order without resolving its effect. That implies that if the order does take effect then you don't remove it.


the order resolved in your scenario. You made it to that step with goblins still alive. You then carry out that order and they die afterwards. Therefore, you get your order back.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.