Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Seeking Play Testers

Subject: Seeking play testers for upcoming game: Sector Prime rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Freedlun
United States
Ft. Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

Our game, Sector Prime, has undergone play testing in various groups over the last 2 years. In the last 6 months the last rough edges were smoothed out. Now we would like to get a few more completely blind testers to make sure that our instructions are clear and succinct.

Here is the synopsis:

----------

Sector Prime is a 4X space mining game for 2-6 players. It takes just 30-60 seconds to set up and 30-60 minutes to play. Every game is different with thousands of tile variations as you navigate through asteroid fields, ion storms using force fields, jump bridges, and more.

It is simple to learn but with a surprising depth. The first commander to finish building their space station lays claim to the entire sector and all the mining rights. Balance offensive tactics and resource management with defensive strategies and alliances to win.

In each turn there are 3 phases:

(1) Explore.
Roll the dice to move your mining drones to new planet tiles.

(2) Expand or Exterminate.
You can choose to either invade and attack another mining faction OR to build defenses, new routes of exploration or a section of your Station thus bringing you one step closer to victory.

(3) Exploit.
In this phase you gather the results of your mining operations. You can simply gather the minimum OR you can gamble by pushing your drones produce double. Be careful, because this isn't always successful.


-----------

We are planning on our Kickstarter campaign in mid to late January, so we'll appreciate any feedback you have on any portion of the game that we have not thoroughly or sufficiently explained.

The files are available in color and b/w. Printing of 13 pages total (incl. 3 pages of tiles, 2 pages for player screens and 1 for player cards.)

Items needed for testers are listed within (e.g. Dice, tokens, etc.)

Download here:
goo.gl/3tU8oj

Hope you like it!

Thanks!

Scott

PS: Sector Prime has been submitted to BGG, but it is still in the "pending" stage. Once it is listed we'll make a proper post in the forums for the game itself. So for now you can see some more images of the current prototypes here below:

Web: sectorprimethegame.com
Instagram: instagram.com/sector_prime/
Twitter: twitter.com/sectorprimegame
Facebook: facebook.com/sectorprimethegame
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Seeking blind play testers for upcoming game: Sector Prime
I'd like to alert you to two seemingly simple criticisms, not offered merely to be annoying.

Quote:
Seeking blind play testers for upcoming game: Sector Prime

I am sure it is not what you meant but to an ordinary reader that could readily be interpreted as "non-sighted" players, which of course seems awkward for an ordinary board game.



Freedlun wrote:

Our game, Sector Prime, has undergone play testing in various groups over the last 2 years. In the last 6 months the last rough edges were smoothed out. Now we would like to get a few more completely blind testers to make sure that our instructions are clear and succinct.

I was not especially strong in Marketing coursework in Business School, but as I understand it once you reveal yourself to the participants as being responsible for the game then the testing is no longer "blind" testing.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Seeking blind play testers for upcoming game: Sector Prime
TVis wrote:
...


Blind playtesting means playing the game directly from the rules with no outside influence. It has nothing to do with your vision or knowing who designed/developed the game.
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Burke
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Part Owner, Gen Con Games Library
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Seeking blind play testers for upcoming game: Sector Prime
I, also, thought you were asking for visually blind playtesters. If you're just looking for "unfamiliar" playtesters, PM me and I might be able to help you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Freedlun
United States
Ft. Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaJackel wrote:
TVis wrote:
...


Blind playtesting means playing the game directly from the rules with no outside influence. It has nothing to do with your vision or knowing who designed/developed the game.


Thank you for helping to clarify.

I'm sorry for the confusion, but the request for "blind play testers" certainly had nothing to do with literal blindness. It is simply a request for testing of a game without someone knowledgeable assisting others to play. The purpose is to help determine if the rules and gameplay are presented logically and clearly.

But too avoid any confusion I have edited the title.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaJackel wrote:
TVis wrote:
...


Blind playtesting means playing the game directly from the rules with no outside influence. It has nothing to do with your vision or knowing who designed/developed the game.

Within your umbrella of exposure that may be true, but one simple source of wider wisdom supports otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_taste_test
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_experiment

This quote from the latter source with my highlight.

"Blind experiments are an important tool of the scientific method, in many fields of research—medicine, psychology and the social sciences, natural sciences such as physics and biology, applied sciences such as market research, and many others. In some disciplines, such as medicinal drug testing, blind experiments are considered essential."


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Freedlun
United States
Ft. Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just updated the original post, Sector Prime has been added to the BGG Board Game directory!

Check it out become a fan.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/188456/sectorprimethegam...

Also, we've had several download the PnP, like to get a few more try it out. I know it's a lot of cutting, but it'll be worth it.:maple:

Thanks again to all!

Scott
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cranston Gorky
msg tools
Here's my questions after reading the rules:

How do you make drones?

How do you make the Fabricator drone?

When moving drones, do you have to pay for each drone’s movement, or does moving a group of drones one tile cost only one move?

The text refers to coins and crystals seemingly interchangeably. Presumably “coins” are “crystals”?

“Remove any of your men on an Opponent’s station tile” – presumably these “men” (drones?) are lost? Or do they return to your station?

When exterminating, if you take control of an opponent's station sector, how does this impede their progress?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
I'd like to alert you to two seemingly simple criticisms, not offered merely to be annoying.

Quote:
Seeking blind play testers for upcoming game: Sector Prime

I am sure it is not what you meant but to an ordinary reader that could readily be interpreted as "non-sighted" players, which of course seems awkward for an ordinary board game.



Freedlun wrote:

Our game, Sector Prime, has undergone play testing in various groups over the last 2 years. In the last 6 months the last rough edges were smoothed out. Now we would like to get a few more completely blind testers to make sure that our instructions are clear and succinct.

I was not especially strong in Marketing coursework in Business School, but as I understand it once you reveal yourself to the participants as being responsible for the game then the testing is no longer "blind" testing.



Dude, you're over-thinking it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Freedlun
United States
Ft. Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cgorky wrote:

How do you make drones?

How do you make the Fabricator drone?


Thank you very much for your questions.

Mining drones as well as Fabricator drones do not need to be "made" or constructed. They are simply in your supply at the beginning of the game.

cgorky wrote:

When moving drones, do you have to pay for each drone’s movement, or does moving a group of drones one tile cost only one move?


Each drone's movement costs one move. (e.g. Moving 2 drones onto the board costs 2 movements.)

cgorky wrote:

The text refers to coins and crystals seemingly interchangeably. Presumably “coins” are “crystals”?


It seems we had a few terminology typos in the rules. The references to "coins" has been removed.

cgorky wrote:

“Remove any of your men on an Opponent’s station tile” – presumably these “men” (drones?) are lost? Or do they return to your station?


The references to "coins" has also been removed. The drones are removed just as they would when losing in a dispute with another player. They simply go back to your main supply and can be used again.

cgorky wrote:

When exterminating, if you take control of an opponent's station sector, how does this impede their progress?


Reason 1) Since you cannot move "out of" a disputed tile, if you are on an opponents Station tile, he cannot move more drones to other tiles.

Reason 2) Since you cannot build anything on a disputed tile, you are forcing him to battle (exterminate) rather than build (expand) on his turn.

This could mean stopping a player from building his final section of the Station and winning, giving you the opportunity to sweep the win.

These are the sort of clarifications we have made to our rulebook just this week. Our group has played this so much that it is often hard to know where more explanation needs to be given.

But we have greatly expanded the explanations and added more illustrations so we believe it will be much easier to get the rules quickly.

The new rules will be posted by the end of the week.

Thanks again for your feedback! meeple

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Freedlun
United States
Ft. Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: We just uploaded a much clearer rule book with many more illustrations. Take a look and let us know what you think!

Download here:
goo.gl/3tU8oj

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cranston Gorky
msg tools
On the Updated Rules
Much better. My questions are addressed here and I look forward to trying this out with my gaming group.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Freedlun
United States
Ft. Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Hope y'all enjoy it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.