Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We just got the ring to the final location in Mordor, and how we played it was once it was the ring-bearers turn he could then try to destroy it. My confusion is the symbols above INSIDE the mountain with the symbols (Dice roll and Shield) ; After the main track line is complete and past the single Die roll, then we go inside the mountain and one by one can roll a die and discard shields?(to live and roll again next turn?) right?? It's been so long since i played i cannot remember how this game ends.. . Please help!

We added our corruption for all characters when the main track objective was passed - then moved into the mountain/volcano to pass final die roll?..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Ohbee wrote:
We just got the ring to the final location in Mordor, and how we played it was once it was the ring-bearers turn he could then try to destroy it. My confusion is the symbols above INSIDE the mountain with the symbols (Dice roll and Shield) ; After the main track line is complete and past the single Die roll, then we go inside the mountain and one by one can roll a die and discard shields?(to live and roll again next turn?) right?? It's been so long since i played i cannot remember how this game ends.. . Please help!

I don't recall anything about discarding shields for this (I take it those are runes in the silver line edition, that I have? - the ones you collect on the tracks).

As I remember it, once you get to the mountain, then the player who has the turn can try to destroy the ring by rolling the die. If he is still alive after suffering the consequenses of that roll, then you win! If he dies from that roll (either meets Sauron or cannot discard the cards needed), then the next player can try to destroy the ring the same way.

Edit: Think the shield is there to tell you, that you get a shield for destroying the ring (in the silver line it is one of the special gold runes - don't know if that is the same in the original version).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:
Ohbee wrote:

I don't recall anything about discarding shields for this (I take it those are runes in the silver line edition, that I have? - the ones you collect on the tracks).

As I remember it, once you get to the mountain, then the player who has the turn can try to destroy the ring by rolling the die. If he is still alive after suffering the consequenses of that roll, then you win! If he dies from that roll (either meets Sauron or cannot discard the cards needed), then the next player can try to destroy the ring the same way.

Edit: Think the shield is there to tell you, that you get a shield for destroying the ring (in the silver line it is one of the special gold runes - don't know if that is the same in the original version).

We were playing the original game - i think over the years i read too many variants that i never played, yet they started creeping into how it actually ends for me.. Surprisingly the way i ended it - was very dramatic and 3 people who typically hate on my games actually loved this one (f*in weird; never has my game group said this was fun ; all in all it ended up brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with Carston above.

With the Hasbro edition: The shield symbol on Mt. Doom is to indicate that if successful in winning, you get to draw 1 shield (from the special shield pile that at the beginning of the game was a random mix of 1,1,2,2,3,3) which will improve your score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe the last way i played it was once the ring is in Mount Doom; you would roll the die and if you would have died, you gave away shields protecting you dying and could roll again next round. weird variant from '01 er something. hehe Thanks for response

There is a Die marker and a Shield marker in Mt. Doom. hence i thought you had to roll the final die (again).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Anyways' i showed them that i had Friends and Foes as an expansion and unwrapped it right there. I believe this will be coming back out next week with the expansion that everyone drooled all over as i opened the freshness. _
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Ohbee wrote:
Anyways' i showed them that i had Friends and Foes as an expansion and unwrapped it right there. I believe this will be coming back out next week with the expansion that everyone drooled all over as i opened the freshness. _

Warning/advice; the Military Victory in F&F is quite easy - and if you ignore the normal victory and concentrate on the Military Victory it is stupidly easy. You may find yourselves desiring one of the many house rules (well, at least one is from Knizia) on the subject.

Also, because you go straight to Bree (a normal mapboard) from Bag End, without getting the feature cards from Lothlorien, sometimes a bad tile draw order in Bree screws you and there's nothing you can do about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
damerell wrote:
Ohbee wrote:

Warning/advice; the Military Victory in F&F is quite easy - and if you ignore the normal victory and concentrate on the Military Victory it is stupidly easy. You may find yourselves desiring one of the many house rules (well, at least one is from Knizia) on the subject.

Also, because you go straight to Bree (a normal mapboard) from Bag End, without getting the feature cards from Lothlorien, sometimes a bad tile draw order in Bree screws you and there's nothing you can do about it.

I completely agree with this.

I'd add that even if you do use a house rule for the Foes (I use the Black Gate rule) I still don't recommend allowing a Military Victory. It's not only too easy, it's completely against the theme of the book, in which it's explicitly stated that a military victory over Sauron is impossible, and destroying the Ring is the only hope.

Defeating all the Foes should gain the players some benefit, though. I allow them to move Sauron back 3 spaces if they manage it (there's an optional card that does this in both the Sauron expansion and the Black Gate promo expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, absolutely use the Black Gate card when playing F&F. If you don't have time to buy it, it's really only one rule you'd have to remember when the last foe is drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks - I'll look into that rule and maybe a pre-Lothlorien card handed out to each player when at Bree.. .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Ohbee wrote:
Thanks - I'll look into that rule and maybe a pre-Lothlorien card handed out to each player when at Bree.. .

I wouldn't do the latter. We've tried a number of solutions to the Bree problem and none of them are very satisfactory; if you do get arbitarily screwed in Bree, at least it happens early in the game. And the occasional game where you get screwed in Bree but then make a magnificent comeback is very satisfying.

Recently we had the opposite problem; everything aligned for a blitz at Mount Doom, then seven straight bad-tile draws. Game over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.