Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ashten Kawabe
United States
Buena Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just need to clarify because my friend tells is telling me something i think is wrong. So there are no more scholars for the university action. He thinks that you can still take the action even though there is no more scholars. Is this correct? Can you still take the University action and move up on the development track even if there are no more scholars to be gained?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Why should you have to reduce their number according to the number of players if this would be true?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Oramon wrote:
No.

Why should you have to reduce their number according to the number of players if this would be true?

It would affect the number you could put on the BD board without affecting your bag.

But no; the rules are quite clear on this. You can't buy if you can't move on the track, you can't move on the track if you can't buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
To put it another way:
Every bonus provided by one of the tracks is linked to taking a helper or whatever they are called (the discs/meeples). You CAN take a person without the bonus (which will only happen with carpenters or farmers, and of course on track spaces without a bonus). However, you can NEVER get a bonus without a person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
To put it another way:
Every bonus provided by one of the tracks is linked to taking a helper or whatever they are called (the discs/meeples). You CAN take a person without the bonus (which will only happen with carpenters or farmers, and of course on track spaces without a bonus). However, you can NEVER get a bonus without a person.

Are you sure about the part I bolded? I was taught that you must be able to do both parts (take the worker disc and the bonus associated). So if the coins run out, you can't take boatsmen. Or if a particular trade good runs out (bread, cheese, etc), and it would be the bonus for your next Farmer, then you can't take a Farmer. Or if you're too close to the end of the book track, you can't take a Scholar (not sure if this ever comes up)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I am not totally SURE sure, as in: "I don't remember if there was ever a clarification", but it simply cannot be that you cannot take a farmer if there is no wheat available (a situation that COULD, potentially, happen)...

Well, it can be, of course, if the rules say so. I am only inferring, at that point. So I probably should not have worded it in a way that seems to be "the law"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:
Dumon wrote:
To put it another way:

Are you sure about the part I bolded? I was taught that you must be able to do both parts (take the worker disc and the bonus associated). So if the coins run out, you can't take boatsmen. Or if a particular trade good runs out (bread, cheese, etc), and it would be the bonus for your next Farmer, then you can't take a Farmer. Or if you're too close to the end of the book track, you can't take a Scholar (not sure if this ever comes up)

You are partially correct. Only Character, Technology and Goods tiles are limited. So you cannot buy a Farmer if the goods he would give you have run out and you cannot buy a Craftsman if there are no Tech tiles left. However, you can buy a Boatman even if all the coins are in play and you can always buy a Scholar as there are no restrictions on DPs - in both cases you just don't get what you can't take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Nicolle
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My rules, p 12, state "However, you may still acquire a character tile even if the additional benefits (goods, coins, technology, etc.) have been exhausted."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philni wrote:
My rules, p 12, state "However, you may still acquire a character tile even if the additional benefits (goods, coins, technology, etc.) have been exhausted."

That must be a change in the TMG edition. The original DLP edition states the exact opposite on page 21 (English): "When you run out of a particular tile, you may no longer take an action that provides that tile."

I suppose there's a small ambiguity in that players may wonder if the goods/technology/etc are a bonus awarded when you buy a Character tile, but the rules as written include the taking of the non-Character resource as part of the action (e.g. Farmhouse is "Take a Farmer tile and add it to your bag. Then take the appropriate Goods tile").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philni wrote:

Meaning you may still acquire a scholar character tile even if you're at the top of the book track, you may still acquire a farmer even if the good of that type has run out...

It does NOT specify that you may do the action without acquiring a character, which is the original question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCloud
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
philni wrote:

That must be a change in the TMG edition. The original DLP edition states the exact opposite on page 21 (English): "When you run out of a particular tile, you may no longer take an action that provides that tile."

I suppose there's a small ambiguity in that players may wonder if the goods/technology/etc are a bonus awarded when you buy a Character tile, but the rules as written include the taking of the non-Character resource as part of the action (e.g. Farmhouse is "Take a Farmer tile and add it to your bag. Then take the appropriate Goods tile").

There is another thread answering this: here.

crazykick wrote:
You can't perform the actions to require a character tile, when you are at the end of the track or there is no character tile left. The goods or technology tiles are bonus. If they run out, these actions are still possible. It's the same as a step on the map. When you travel from town to town, you can pickup 1 good. If there is no good left, you may nevertheless perform the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.