Subject: reversing cards or other clues, is it cheating? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I played mysterium for lunch as the Ghost.

At one time I had to make a player discover the weights. I gave him a card wich I don't remember and a card with feather, head down.
It was a clue that the meaning of the card was to be reversed and one of the players got it (sadly, the target player played elsewhere)

I think that it may be borderline but legit since I can well imagine the ghost giving a inverse vision to the medium (beware medium motion sickness)

I did not check if a rule forbid this, what do you think of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Gerard
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For each vision you can give 1-7 cards from your hand for any reason.
In fact you don't even need a reason as you never have to explain yourself.

We often give "lighter than air" clues for the dumbbell. Sounds like it was a great clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you are physically forcing the cards in a certain orientation into a player's hand, why not tap the visions on the card they need to select? Or hand it over so some line on the vision lines up with the player's view of the card they need to choose?

Providing any given card is okay, and may even be understood by a particular game group to indicate some meaning. Needing the vision to be a certain orientation to anything else should not be a valid ghost move, as it becomes a slippery slope to trivialize the deduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Gerard
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh are we talking about giving the cards upside down?
Psychics should not read anything into the orientation of the card but consider all orientations to look for clues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As with all Co-Ops in non-tournament settings, the rules of interactions are what you and your group agree on. Since it's not competitive, it can't give someone an edge or break the game's balance. Similar things are voice inflections in clues in Hanabi, playing with open cards in Pandemic, choosing roles in Pandemic or Defenders of the Realms (instead of assigning them randomly), or saying card numbers in Shadows over Camelot. The question is really "does this annoy anyone at this table?". I doubt anyone will come over who is not playing the game with you, and berate you for not playing the game the way they want.

That being said, if I was in the group, I'd laugh and find it clever the first time around, but if it became a common thing, I'd ask for it to stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:
As long as you are physically forcing the cards in a certain orientation into a player's hand, why not tap the visions on the card they need to select? Or hand it over so some line on the vision lines up with the player's view of the card they need to choose?

The rules actually say that the ghost places the vision cards face-up in front of the psychic, which is a lot more conducive to this sort of shenanigans than handing them over and letting them arrange them themselves.

My instinct is that the game is more fun when played so that the ghost's only communication is by choosing which cards go in each vision (so, if the visions were numbered, they could just give a list of numbers, in numerical order, and still convey all the information they're allowed to), but other groups may find that doesn't give them enough information to get anywhere - in which case, agreeing to do things that make the game easier would make it more fun for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Gerard
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a coop game. You aren't cheating anyone out of anything except maybe a good time. Decide as a group before you play what is and is not allowed. The rules say to place the cards face up in front of the psychic. The rules say nothing about order or orientation.

As and aside, I have seen ghosts who accidentally gave a card upside down. Either they just weren't paying attention or they thought they had it right side up. Most commonly this happens the the spider/chandelier vision card.

How ever you do it, a card with a feather on it is a good clue for dumbbell. No need to give the card upside down to make the connection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.