Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Preischel
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have the Valley Games latest edition but I'm interested in differing opinions if the rules have changed since v.1 or v.2. I thought I understood this correctly but the more rules posts I read the more unsure I am:

1. Do I need to have at least 5 meeting markers to convert them into votes in the current state or only in the future states? Rule 6.3.1 says "players convert all their remaining meeting markers in the current state into votes" but 6.2.8 says "a player may only convert meeting markers into votes if they have at least 5 meeting markers in a state". Is 6.2.8 meant to refer only to future states?

2. After converting the meeting markers to votes in the current state, if a player has more votes than all other players combined do they still get to change a Public Opinion card even though the scoring is completely done? In other words, can they put a new Public Opinion card into play for the sole purpose of sticking it into the National Opinion board?

Thanks for the help.
Phollower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do not have the rules in front of me, and really, they were never the model of clarity.

Phollower wrote:
1. Do I need to have at least 5 meeting markers to convert them into votes in the current state or only in the future states? Rule 6.3.1 says "players convert all their remaining meeting markers in the current state into votes" but 6.2.8 says "a player may only convert meeting markers into votes if they have at least 5 meeting markers in a state". Is 6.2.8 meant to refer only to future states?

It does. In the current state, one just converts. There is no choice and no requirement to have at least 5.

Quote:
2. After converting the meeting markers to votes in the current state, if a player has more votes than all other players combined do they still get to change a Public Opinion card even though the scoring is completely done? In other words, can they put a new Public Opinion card into play for the sole purpose of sticking it into the National Opinion board?

No. Once the election is over, it's over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bowsher
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
What Dave said applies to the later German edition as well. There is no minimum requirement to convert meeting markers to votes in the current election, and once the votes are totalled you do not get an opportunity to replace an issue card in the current election.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Preischel
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Dave and Robert. So if I understand correctly, the only way to exchange a Public Opinion card in the current state would be through having plurality in the Media at the end of the Media phase, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not like how the rules say that the reason you do not convert the current state meeting markers into votes during the Convert Meeting Markers Phase is tht there is no reason to do so since you will be converting it anyway in the very next phase. There is a very good reason to do so if you have more votes than the other players combined. I can see that this is not how the rules were intended and it is probably just a quirky translation issue (like the word plurality instead of majority) but it bugs me. I wish they would have called the phase the Future State Meeting Marker Conversion Phase and just leave out any advice about what actions are pointless or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanders
United States
Greendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phollower wrote:
Thanks Dave and Robert. So if I understand correctly, the only way to exchange a Public Opinion card in the current state would be through having plurality in the Media at the end of the Media phase, right?

Not the previous posters - but YES, that is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanders
United States
Greendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roliander wrote:
I do not like how the rules say that the reason you do not convert the current state meeting markers into votes during the Convert Meeting Markers Phase is tht there is no reason to do so since you will be converting it anyway in the very next phase. There is a very good reason to do so if you have more votes than the other players combined. I can see that this is not how the rules were intended and it is probably just a quirky translation issue (like the word plurality instead of majority) but it bugs me. I wish they would have called the phase the Future State Meeting Marker Conversion Phase and just leave out any advice about what actions are pointless or not.

Very, very, very true. Perhaps the VG folk will take in into consideration for the FAQ or FAQ-esque thing they are discussing putting out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
man I hope there is a faq I am so confused by the rule book. Anyone know if there is a good sheet for newbs that will explain the rules clearly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Penner
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I can see that this is not how the rules were intended and it is probably just a quirky translation issue (like the word plurality instead of majority) but it bugs me.

Actually, the word "plurality" is correct in this context, as you get the benefits of media control by having more markers than anyone else, even if you DON'T have a majority. The OED defines "plurality" as follows (definition 4(a)):

Quote:
The fact of having the largest share of the votes cast, when this is less than an absolute majority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree - this rule should go in a faq. It's one of the few places I found ambiguity in the otherwise thorough rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.